Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre-performance rituals?

I remember in High School that a lot of the jocks (is that PC???) would have these rituals before a big game, so I wondered if any dancers do too?

Post Thanks / Like

uhm, I dont know if you call it a ritual, but I drink a cup of wine before every performance ( I have aTERRIBLE stage fright and if I did not drink "my cup", noone would ever get me out in front of those people )... but anyway, as I have a very strong relation to my granny (better said I "had" when she was alive) who died when I was 7, I always ask her to keep her guarding hand on me... that gives me lotta strength and unbelievable energy for the performance...actually, I sometimes feel I am not dancing for those people watching but ONLY for her...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a (practical -- go figure!) "good luck charm" that I take with me to every performance. It is a small damask purse, gold toned with a Chinese-style print. It is just big enough to hold the topcoat for my lipstick, a film canister full of safety pins, keys, and one or two other performance "must haves" for that night. (Like, say, a tampon.) It is small and pretty enough that I can carry it with me every time. I don't take it on stage; but, it is small and discreet enough that I can tuck it somewhere right before I perform.

My Mother in law gave it to me as part of a Christmas stocking a few years ago, and it has been "part of my routine" ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

I step away from everyone else if I am backstage to zone in and I do a couple of stretches and movements - refocus my energy from whatever it is already into posture and dance "mode".

I find that a moment to myself before going on really helps with my focus in my presentation.

Post Thanks / Like

I shimmy away excess nervousness. (Try it, it works!) I say a prayer each time - I ask that I represent the dance excellently, with technical proficiency and entertainment value, that my pins stay pinned, my veil fly true and that I remember all that I have prepared. I also try to laugh at least one good time. Laughter does wonders and when you hit the stage, you look happy.

Post Thanks / Like

As close as I get is my pre-performance prayer of, "Please, God, don't let me screw this up."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    As close as I get is my pre-performance prayer of, "Please, God, don't let me screw this up."
    That's pretty much my ritual, too, whether it be dancing, singing, or playing the violin.

Post Thanks / Like

Alosha,

all of these suggestions are good, in addition to what DaVid does, I think about the audience and repeat to myself, I love my audience. If I don't love my audience I don't dance well

Post Thanks / Like

I love it all!

Post Thanks / Like

I stretch a bit and shimmy a lot. When I shimmy I feel I can do anything, so it helps me relax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast