Pre-performance rituals?

alosha

I remember in High School that a lot of the jocks (is that PC???) would have these rituals before a big game, so I wondered if any dancers do too?

TribalVibe

uhm, I dont know if you call it a ritual, but I drink a cup of wine before every performance ( I have aTERRIBLE stage fright and if I did not drink "my cup", noone would ever get me out in front of those people :D)... but anyway, as I have a very strong relation to my granny (better said I "had" when she was alive) who died when I was 7, I always ask her to keep her guarding hand on me... that gives me lotta strength and unbelievable energy for the performance...actually, I sometimes feel I am not dancing for those people watching but ONLY for her...

PracticalDancer

I have a (practical -- go figure!) "good luck charm" that I take with me to every performance. It is a small damask purse, gold toned with a Chinese-style print. It is just big enough to hold the topcoat for my lipstick, a film canister full of safety pins, keys, and one or two other performance "must haves" for that night. (Like, say, a tampon.) It is small and pretty enough that I can carry it with me every time. I don't take it on stage; but, it is small and discreet enough that I can tuck it somewhere right before I perform.

My Mother in law gave it to me as part of a Christmas stocking a few years ago, and it has been "part of my routine" ever since. :)

I step away from everyone else if I am backstage to zone in and I do a couple of stretches and movements - refocus my energy from whatever it is already into posture and dance "mode".

I find that a moment to myself before going on really helps with my focus in my presentation.

Makeda Maysa

I shimmy away excess nervousness. (Try it, it works!) I say a prayer each time - I ask that I represent the dance excellently, with technical proficiency and entertainment value, that my pins stay pinned, my veil fly true and that I remember all that I have prepared. I also try to laugh at least one good time. Laughter does wonders and when you hit the stage, you look happy.

Marya

Alosha,

all of these suggestions are good, in addition to what DaVid does, I think about the audience and repeat to myself, I love my audience. If I don't love my audience I don't dance well

Madeline

Splits! I try and find some place to do them before every performance... or else a decent enough ballet barre subsitute... :D

Shanazel

As close as I get is my pre-performance prayer of, "Please, God, don't let me screw this up."
That's pretty much my ritual, too, whether it be dancing, singing, or playing the violin. :pray:

... dealing with teenagers, drafting an affidavit, climbing on a new horse, cutting into expensive fabric, facing a new class...

Machiavellia

If it's a group performance it's nice to get together with the girls and prepare together, we'll usually eat some fruit and get our costumes, hair and make up sorted out in one place, which is nice because it lets us get energized together.

If it's a solo performance I tend to be a little bit more introverted and I kind of retreat into myself a little bit beforehand. I like to get some alone time if possible. I usually leave some inspirational performances on in the background while I put together my costume, because as I'm glancing over I'll see little tid bits that I want to remember in my own performance-- posture, presence, etc. I have found that little ritual pretty calming.