Appropriate/Inappropriate music? Help?

adiemus

Ooooh, looking forward to hearing that album!
The aboriginal pipe instrument is the didgeridoo, never played by a woman (women are not even meant to touch them), and definitely nonME!!

I like Phil Thornton, but I'm less keen on Hossam Ramzy, I feel that it lacks idiosyncracy, or is just a teeny bit too bland and machine-like for me. Having said that, he certainly has passion and energy and output!!
I think fusion in music runs into exactly the same problems that fusion in dance also runs into - at a certain point the original is lost and what is left is something less-than either of the original genres.
Probably the same occurs in cooking as well!

Oona

the rhythms on that CD are both western and middle eastern, and the musical structure does not follow the maquamat (song phrasing structures) used in ME music.

Wow, this is an essential difference! Thank you so much. I typed maquamat into google and now I have added onto my list of things I wish to understand. This is brilliant, thank you thank you! Now I know why my husband has trouble learning the oud after half a lifetime of guitar!