Skin care for acne

Shanazel

Nor will I willingly give up my diet Pepsi in the morning :lol:. Food doesn't seem to have much affect on my skin, but the weather does- overheating just kills me. I also have a curious allergy to rapid changes in temperature, specifically from hot to cold. Stepping out of a hot shower onto a cold floor makes my skin swell up, turn hot and red, and itch like the very dickens. This compounds the rosacea when I work outdoors, get very warm, and have the cold wind blow on my face. Ouch!

I've only met one other person with the allergy and hers made mine look mild. She lives in Phoenix, Arizona. In very hot weather (110+ on many days) she has to be very careful about moving from an air conditioned building into the outdoor heat. She's actually had anaphylactic shock from this allergy.

alosha

very scary.

Soda KILLS my skin. I've cut it out, except for a 'special' occasion. And now working on dropping the coffee levels to only two cups in the morning.

Harry

Alosha, ALL soda drinks?!? Wow! :shok: :think: I think it may be something about the carbonation or perhaps the sugar.

I don't have a problem with sodas, generally, but I sure had to cut out Pepsi and Coke (caffeine, again), and move into things like 7-Up, Sprite, Slice ... I've developed a taste for lemon-lime ...

alosha

I think it's one of the unpronounceable ingredients or something. Hansen's natural sodas don't seem to bug my skin...

Artemisia

I am going to try the vinegar thing too (thanks Alosha!), maybe the worst of my acne (arms and upper legs) will disappear. My face isn't as bad as it used to be, and I too have cut out as much caffeine as I can.

I have oily, fine, limp hair as well, and when I was younger my Grams taught me to use a vinegar rinse on hair once a week, helps with the oil. She would use mayo to moisturize but I haven't done that in a long time.

Shanazel

How about Fresca, Harry? That's my favorite, but them I am a strictly diet soda gal. I dislike the sticky taste of the sugared soft drinks.

khanjar

Acne I used to suffer badly fro as a teen, my pal worse so, he had what was called terrific acne, it left craters in his skin, a teen age problem perhaps most of us go through.

But as for us past our teens, the occaisional acne can be a problem. But what everyone has to bear in mind, is that skin is an organ, and there an organ that works on removing things not wanted by the body. what you eat, if wholesome and agreeing with your body will be absorbed and the waste passed through, but what is not so good, might be expelled through the skin. I have noticed before what my skin expels leads to itchiness and other problems. The thought being if what is being expelled irritates the surface of the skin, no wonder the body wants rid.

I have had no problems for years since I learned to treat modern snack food stuffs with suspicion. Sugery drinks, coke, spite and similar things, always lead to skin problems, so I deal without them, they are not essential to my diet.

Also greasy food has it's problems, skin is a mess and the insides always protest at anything too fatty.

I have learned that the ayurvedic diet of Vata suits me best, as no problems, inward or outward have plagued me since.

But what, is acne, it would do to understand ;

What is acne?

Hair care the same, since I quit the products, but diet has a lot to do with the condition of hair skin and nails. Me, my long hair weekly I treat to olive oil and frankinsence and the oiliness washed out with coconut milk. Sometimes in treating I add rosemary oil to the olive, but more often than not, olive on it's own does well. If I use shampoo, then it is either a Lush product, or stuff made by Dove, Dove being the mildest, most comfortable product I have found.

I also supplement with a good skin, hair and nails vitamin and mineral mix.

Last edited:

Kharmine

One of the most helpful things I ever tried and still use today is wet baking soda as a mild exfoliant -- rub very lightly over the skin, then rinse. It's far more gentle and effective than commercial exfoliants with who knows what kind of irritating ingredients.

Drinking about 8 glasses of water a day also helps flush out the toxins. And as I live in a dry climate, it may be more often than that.

And daily supplements -- for me, a general multiple vitamin/mineral, fish oils capsule and CoQ10, for better oxygen intake and circulation. Most people just can't get everything they need from meals.

Farasha Hanem

One of the most helpful things I ever tried and still use today is wet baking soda as a mild exfoliant -- rub very lightly over the skin, then rinse. It's far more gentle and effective than commercial exfoliants with who knows what kind of irritating ingredients.

Drinking about 8 glasses of water a day also helps flush out the toxins. And as I live in a dry climate, it may be more often than that.

And daily supplements -- for me, a general multiple vitamin/mineral, fish oils capsule and CoQ10, for better oxygen intake and circulation. Most people just can't get everything they need from meals.

Kharmine, you must have also read Paula Begouin's "Blue Eyeshadow Should (Still) Be Illegal." ;)

Makeda Maysa

I LOVE Paula Begoun! After I started following her plan for oily/breakout prone skin, my skin has never been happier. I recommend that everybody read her books "The Beauty Bible" and "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me.":clap:

Harry

How about Fresca, Harry? That's my favorite, but them I am a strictly diet soda gal. I dislike the sticky taste of the sugared soft drinks.
Diet sodas have never appealed to my palate... Then, I'm not hung up on carbonated stuff. I'll drink Gatorade after a workout (I'm a gym rat :cool:), and it has no effect, either way, on the rosacea.

Kharmine

Kharmine, you must have also read Paula Begouin's "Blue Eyeshadow Should (Still) Be Illegal." ;)

Yep, that's the one! Read it in college. She also recommended milk of magnesia as a facial masque. That, too, worked well.

I use almond oil or grapeseed oil as an eye makeup remover. A bottle of that will last forever for that purpose and doesn't cost a lot.

Jessica C

Banned
Clean your face gently, as trauma to the acne breakouts may worsen the acne or cause scarring. When washing your face, use your hands, as any terrycloth or other scrubbing material may cause acne sores to rupture.

If you need to use a moisturizer, use only light, non-comedogenic moisturizers, which do not aggravate acne. There are oil-free moisturizers on the market that contain anti-bacterial agents for acne-prone skin. This type of product may be your best option.

If you are a woman, use an oil-free foundation. Heavy makeup or other cosmetic products that block pores may cause a flare-up of acne.

alosha

I disagree with using only your hands to cleanse your face. Gently doing a dry brush on your face with a wash rag helps to slough off dead skin cells and get circulation going. Also be sure when you cleanse to really massage the skin, which helps stimulate collagen production, reduce scarring, and promote healing.

Nothing has worked better for my acne than using the ACV and Water mixture instead of soap, and the Coconut Oil as a moisturizer.

The best way to fight oil is with oil. Your body is producing too much oil because your soaps and such are drying it out too much so it overproduces to make up for the dryness. Use a good oil and the skin no longer has to overcompensate.

alosha

Update to the OP

I am now starting the fourth week of my 'experiment' and I have to say, my skin has never looked or felt better. It's super soft, less oily, and the breakups are starting to diminish. I've also noticed a continuance of the pimples 'life cycle' shortening. The first few days of the third week REALLY sucked as my skin finally realized it was clearing itself out, but it only lasted two days. I am SO impressed!

gisela

Super Moderator
Glad to hear it's working. Bad skin is so frustrating. I am having huge problems with the skin right now so I might just give it a try. Not sure where to get coconut oil though.

alosha

I got mine in the natural section of the grocery store. Comes in a jar. It's actually solid at room temperature, so you just get a dab of it on your fingers, then it melts and you rub it in...

Kharmine

You can also get coconut oil in stores that cater to Asian and Indian clients. A spoonful of it will also help curb food cravings.

gisela

Super Moderator
So I tried the vinegar thing today, but haven't had time to search for coconut.
I just don't really feel dry after rinsing with vinegar. Are you "supposed" to feel dry before moisturizing or are you supposed to moisturize no matter what?

Might sound like a stupid question but I have never managed to make friends with my skin and I have trouble understanding what it wants ;)