Post Thanks / Like

Default How to do a backbend?? :)

Hello everyone, I just found this forum and I am sure there are a plenty of nice people and good instructors here, so I have a question. I am a bellydancing student (would say beginner - I have been dancing for 2 yrs) and recently we have learned a backbend in my class. But I dont get how it is actually done, I always hurt my lower back. I have seen some dancers do it soooo nice!!! Would like to learn it too...Could anyone help me? What is the actual "technique" of doing a backbend without getting to hurt oneself? Thanks a lot.
    Larissa

Post Thanks / Like

There are instructions on my web site here: Belly Dancing: How to Do Belly Dance Moves

To start, you must build strength and flexibility in the muscles that backbends use.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - first tell your teacher it hurts, then tell her you don't "get" how to do it. If she can't teach it well enough, tell her nicely you're not going to do it because it hurts.

This was a big thread on tribe about backbends a while ago, & someone posted a great link to a contortionist website that showed how backbends should be done, it was great but I don't think I have that link. If I find it I'll post it.

What I remember from that site is that the spine needs to be bent in an arc, with no "sharp angles" in the bend. I think you really need someone to spot you & check your position to make sure it's right.

One the other hand, the backbend I learned in bellydance class was quite different (it's not the same one tribal fusion dancers always seem to do). In this version, you keep the spine straight & bend back from the hips (not waist), and usually have an asymmetrical foot placement.

Does your teacher do body conditioning for the moves you're supposed to learn? You need a lot of torso & leg strength for backbends, most hobby dancers don't have enough actual muscle strength to do them well (i.e. correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by Larissa View Post
    Hello everyone, I just found this forum and I am sure there are a plenty of nice people and good instructors here, so I have a question. I am a bellydancing student (would say beginner - I have been dancing for 2 yrs) and recently we have learned a backbend in my class. But I dont get how it is actually done, I always hurt my lower back. I have seen some dancers do it soooo nice!!! Would like to learn it too...Could anyone help me? What is the actual "technique" of doing a backbend without getting to hurt oneself? Thanks a lot.
    Larissa

Post Thanks / Like

Larissa, if it hurts then you are doing it wrong - and please stop! Backbends can really hurt you and leave you damaged if you don't do it right. I hope your teacher knows this.

I have always been quite flexible and have been dancing since i was a kid - and I have no problem doing it. However, I never put it in choreos for my students since too many aren't able to do it and I don't want them to try and then end up hurting themselves.

But a few tips: really work on your muscles and flexibility in your core, these are essential. Also, I also do backbends with one foot in front of the other (as Anthea mentions) - I simply find this to work best for me AND I think it looks nicer. Really, I can think of only a few things worse than seeing a dancer TRY her best at doing a back bend only to do it by spreading her legs WIDE and leaning back, flexing the neck and bending the knees.

Happy dancing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    There are instructions on my web site here: Belly Dancing: How to Do Belly Dance Moves

To start, you must build strength and flexibility in the muscles that backbends use.
    I must say this is one of the best ones I've seen on the web!