Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoulders Down??

I have a pretty bad posture problem (mild scoliosis and all that) and that's been improving over the years I've been dancing and doing yoga but I can't seem to pull my shoulders down.

Whenever my teacher tells me to relax and pull my shoulders down, I actually have to "pull" them down with a lot force which feels really stiff and I can't move my arms naturally (my back is already straight). And when I relax and move my arms my shoulders instantly go back up to where they naturally are which makes them look like I'm holding them higher than they should be. When I look in the mirror and I'm relaxes (not holding my shoulders up or anything) the top of my (quite bony) shoulders tend to slope upwards slightly instead of down. Maybe it's just the way I'm built?

What can I do? Whenever I pull my shoulders down I can't dance without feeling stiff and limited. Should I try to pull my chest upwards more?

Any help would be appreciated! My teacher says this is my number one problem when it comes to dancing - stiff, high shoulders! And it's really frustrating since it seems like I can't do anything about it.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe you are thinking about it too much and tensing your shoulders unconsciously?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes you just accept your physical challenges and quit worrying about them. My shoulders are naturally set forward of where "normal" would be and I understand the struggle to put a body part into what is for me an unnatural position. I do what I can comfortably, work on stretching the muscles that hold my shoulders forward, and don't fash myself about what I can't change.

Post Thanks / Like

If they sit forward and that's your build, that's your build. But there are a few small things you can do. One, note the angle of your elbow. If you turn it down, so they are pointing to the floor, it will help roll the shoulder back a little. You have to watch out for 'chicken wings' though and keep a nice extension in the arm. Another is if you are trying to position the shoulders, instead of focusing on "pushing" them down, focus on 'pulling' the scapula's down - to open the shoulder. You could also work on staying open in the upper body, a subtle lift in the ribs...

Post Thanks / Like

Shoulders are the most mobile part of the body and they have heaps of different muscles to move them about. Possibly when you try and move them down you are engaging the wrong muscles. Correction may require someone who knows shoulders really well touching where you need to move (well known refrain - see a well trained sports rehab physiotherapist)

Could it be muscle tightness pulling it up?

Or, as suggested, it may be the way you are built. For years I listened to my teachers and lifted my shoulder blades, pulled them togther, and then slid them down to position. Then the physio I work with said one day "You carry your shoulder blades too low and angled, you need to lift and rotate them"

If it really worries you see an expert. Most dance teachers have some knowledge but it tends to be in common problems. Anything unusual gets handed over to the physios.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,just wondering what you do during the day? what is your job?people that study a lot or work in a office have many times problems like this to much tension in the sholders and pulling them up...try to be aware i mean realy think about it like right now when you read this ....are your shoders relaxed or pulled up??try during the day to work on it when you sit try to remember to relex your sholders...so it becomes a habbit ...perhaps when you try to remember during the day and it becomes more relaxed it will go better also when you dance ...perhaps it is just something that youhave to get used to...just try to remeber it all the time ...you will see that many times during the day you will ,,catch your self ,, because there is tension in your sholders relax and relax....you be fine!!!! it is just tension i think....have a nice day and happy dancing....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!!! I'm taking all of your advice and trying it out.