Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bridal Showers are lovely.

Here in England we have Hen nights (which usually entails a group of girlies going on a pub crawl with sexy little red devils costumes on or dressed as bunny girls, and the bride with a veil and an 'L' plate around her neck!! The girls usually secretly organise a male stripper for the bride to be). I always cringe at hen parties. :o Even my own sisters, although the stripper was mighty nice - he came dressed as a fire-man.

And the men don't have bachelor parties - Here it's called a Stag Night. The groom to be, being the Stag. They are just a group of guys getting completely licked, and end the night by tying the stag to a tree and leaving him there. Naked !! :eek: . . . . that's why they stopped having Stag nights the night before the wedding, because too many grooms just didn't turn up !!

If i ever get married (insha-allah / God willing). . . . I would try to have a much more sophisticated doo. and probably call it a 'bridal shower!'

xxx

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Here it's tradition to tie em to a lamp post naked and handcuffed.

Sometimes and a Stag do they have strippers, unless you go to Queen Vic and they're there already. I was gunna get a job there untill I realised it was topless...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demelza View Post
    Bridal Showers are lovely...

If i ever get married (insha-allah / God willing). . . . I would try to have a much more sophisticated doo. and probably call it a 'bridal shower!'
    A lot of us here in the U.S. do BOTH.

The Bridal Shower is the brunch, lunch, or tea where we get together with our Mom's and grandma's, as well as friends and colleagues, and open gifts and play silly games. Games may include things like breaking into teams and competing for best bridal gown made from toilet paper wrapped creatively on one of the team members. Gags may include recording all the comments the bride makes about the gifts as she opens each one, and then reading the list back as a list of things that will be said on her wedding night...*nudge nudge*

The Bachelorette Party is when you get together with only your closest friends, because the chance of being embarrassed is high. Often you are dressed up in some way which makes clear you are the bride, in varying degrees of humiliation (meaning some with a simple gag veil, and some with shirts with Life Savers stuck all over it saying "Bride - $1 a Suck". Ahhh!). You go out to bars and clubs, drinking and whooping it up, collecting free shots from single guys on your last night of "freedom".

It all sounds such a strange ritual when I list it out this way, but there it is! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do bachelor parties (or anyparties of all males) for the reasons listed above. Safety, propriety, not what they're looking for, image etc.

I've done bridal showers, baby showers and bachelorette parties. Those often involve teaching- so at the bachelorette parties I make sure I'm there within an hour or so of it starting- so they haven't had too much to drink yet.

Tribal dancer- I've never heard the "repeat the gift receiving statements as things she'd say on her wedding night". THAT is SO cute!

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't like about it is that it is all just crazy and they of course they make all nasty comments on how the bride can show her belly dancing to her new husband etc etc. And if you do try to educate them (which you better don't try too much) it doesn't really work. I must say for Dutch people it does a bit, but for the Aussie women no. The Dutch have different hens parties, often going on for a whole day or even weekend. And they do lots of activities and are more serious.

Post Thanks / Like

I really dislike the term 'bachelorette'. Something about it just irks me. I thought 'spinster' was meant to be the equivalent to a bachelor?

I call it a Hen's night too. I think having a mini bellydance workshop at a hen's night is great fun. My teacher, who performs, has told us about some she's danced at and usually comes back with stories and mentions that nearly everyone has a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Well, the preference for hens party vs. bachellorette may depend a lot on where you are/where you come from. I don't mind the term bachellorette, but man, I don't know if I'd like being termed a "hen". Here people use the term "hen-pecked" to mean a guy who is constantly harrangued, nagged, and kept low by his wife/significant other. Hen party makes me think of that. ;-)

But then again, from some of the posts above, it sounds like the UK ladies have much wilder parties than we do here! Though there are bachelorette parties here that have (as another dancer described) the cheesey t-shirts, male strippers, chintzy faux-veils, and sexual themes, most of the bachelorette parties I've been to (as a guest or as a performer) have been...well, more low key. Sometimes the women go out dancing, sometimes they get together at someone's house and just have a fun night, goofing around, laughing and, er, talking as women do (in the ways men wish we didn't, if you get what I mean.) There's usually some amount of alcohol, but people don't usually get *totally* blotto, and these days, many bachelorette parties eschew the bridal fluff on the head/etc. Of course...most of the brides I encounter are at least in their late 20s...maybe by the time you're a little older your friends are less likely to want to embarass you because they've had more time to learn such actions have consequences and they know that you WILL get them back...and worse.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I don't like the term Hens' Night. Nor do I really like Bachelorette night. I kinda like Ladies' Night. lol

Post Thanks / Like

In Norwegian we have a perfectly gender neutral term for this activity. It's called "utdrikkningslag" which literaly translates into "drinking out [the bride-/groom-to-be] in good company." In practice in translates into "drinking ourselves, and especially the bride-/groom-to-be, under the table, with high spirits and lots of them!"

Post Thanks / Like

I did a bachelor party once but it was in in a restaurant so no coterie and the guy himself was pretty shy. Pretty much comparable to any bellygram at a birthday party. In fact I had bellygrams with mixed-gender audience which were worse.

But I have to say I check very carefully what someone expects from me who wants to book me for a batchelor party. I had lots of requests about that and this one case was the only time I accepted as I felt it would be save to do.
    If someone seems to have the wrong ideas about bellydancing, I tell them I will bring my husband with me, I won't take of any cloth as I'm no stripper, I may pull someone up for dancing but there is no touching me and I won't do anything else than my bellydance show, I come, dance and leave again.
    Usually they get it that I'm not quite what they were looking for.

I agree you can't educate someone about oriental dance at a bachelor party, they just want something entertaining and sexy. But it's the same with most bellygrams on birthday parties.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast