ATS/ITS vocabulary

alosha

So I know that FCBD has it's own vocab that it sticks to, and doesn't change without approval. So do the other formats have their own vocabulary on top of the FCBD vocab? Or does each group just kind of do their own thing? I really think I like that idea, that each troupe is in essence it's own "tribe" with it's own characteristics and nuances.

maria_harlequin

So I know that FCBD has it's own vocab that it sticks to, and doesn't change without approval. So do the other formats have their own vocabulary on top of the FCBD vocab? Or does each group just kind of do their own thing? I really think I like that idea, that each troupe is in essence it's own "tribe" with it's own characteristics and nuances.

The FCBD ATS vocabulary is changed and altered by Carolena every year. Like for the chorus, just standing and playing the zills used to be okay at one point but now it must be accompanied by a certain set of movements. Which is why anyone running a sister studio or doing teacher training must keep up with their training year by year.

I don't know much about other ITS groups but the first improv tribal classes I ever took was BlackSheep and I quite enjoyed it. And yes, the vocabulary is different. One is that everything is done on both sides (FatChance is limited to the right only, but sometimes turns and traveling steps can be done on both sides). Another is that a shimmy is done with flat feet while if it's FatChance, you're on relevae. But from all the other ITS forms I've seen, FatChance and Blacksheep are the most similar - most members wouldn't have much trouble dancing with each other. This is probably due to the fact that Kajira was previously a FatChance member so she was quite influenced by them.

I don't have any experience with Gypsy Caravan but looking at their video their Ghawazee step is a WORLD of difference from FatChance's.

There's a lot of similar dance vocabularly with the old school ITS groups like BlackSheep and Gypsy Caravan but with the newer ITS groups it seems like it's another language entirely...most of the only things I can recognize is the Egyptian Basic and that's about it.

alosha

I'm trying to figure out where I sit, and have found out lots of info on FCBD vocab, like you've said. Just curious if the other formats have a "vocab" and are as official. I like the idea of FCBD that "this is how you do _____" but I also like to know that if me and my troupe sisters want to personalize it a bit we can....

maria_harlequin

I'm trying to figure out where I sit, and have found out lots of info on FCBD vocab, like you've said. Just curious if the other formats have a "vocab" and are as official. I like the idea of FCBD that "this is how you do _____" but I also like to know that if me and my troupe sisters want to personalize it a bit we can....

I think the more "official" troupes would be Gypsy Caravan and Blacksheep :) Or maybe it seems that way because they're the most well known and one of the firsts to break away from the original ATS vocab.