Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance Suheir Zaki style

I may have made a thread about this a while back or posted in one but I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any dvd's that teach you to dance in the same style as Suheir Zaki. I dont enjoy a great deal of modern bellydance and I love the golden age styles. I just think theyre so delicate with small movements and so lovely. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Suheir Zaki is such an inspiration to me. I love seeing her work, on YouTube. I suppose it was typical of that era, but her dancing seems to be a wee bit more elegant than some other very good dancers of the same era. I too, would like teaching DVDs of her style. A class would be even better !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Suheir Zaki is such an inspiration to me. I love seeing her work, on YouTube. I suppose it was typical of that era, but her dancing seems to be a wee bit more elegant than some other very good dancers of the same era. I too, would like teaching DVDs of her style. A class would be even better !
    If only................!!

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing is, most of the great old-time dancers did not learn via dance classes.

We can watch all the old film clips we want, and copy the style as much as we can, but we all have different bodies that are going to look like they're moving differently.

The best thing I can think of to dance more like a particular dancer is look for characteristics you can incorporate -- Soheir Zaki was known for "small" movements, as opposed to, say, Nagwa Fouad whose hips you could see move from orbit.

Soheir tended to dance within a small space, literally. She didn't whirl all over the stage a lot or do backbends, in general. She didn't use her arms in big, ballet-style gestures like Samia Gamal. She projected more "girl next door" than "sexpot."

At least, that's how I see her. Hope that helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kharmine View Post
    Funny thing is, most of the great old-time dancers did not learn via dance classes.

We can watch all the old film clips we want, and copy the style as much as we can, but we all have different bodies that are going to look like they're moving differently.

The best thing I can think of to dance more like a particular dancer is look for characteristics you can incorporate -- Soheir Zaki was known for "small" movements, as opposed to, say, Nagwa Fouad whose hips you could see move from orbit.

Soheir tended to dance within a small space, literally. She didn't whirl all over the stage a lot or do backbends, in general. She didn't use her arms in big, ballet-style gestures like Samia Gamal. She projected more "girl next door" than "sexpot."

At least, that's how I see her. Hope that helps!
    ----------------
    Kharmine,
    Thank you for your helpful comments. Basically I agree, however, there is so much "out there" in styles which I don`t care for, that when a certain style suits me, then that type I want to pattern my dancing after, but with my own variations. I refuse to do some of the more modern, very unladylike moves, which are ugly to me, so no point in learning/practicing those . Most everything evolves, but not always for the better. Of course , every person is different, so individual dancing must and will be different. Also, physical limitations dictate what a person can do, we can do only what our bodies will allow. The world of older style Mid-Eastern dance fascinates me, I will take what I can use and not worry about the rest.