Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really surprised to hear that there's lots of people in the UK with significant ATS, Suhaila Technique, and years of tribal fusion experience. I thought there wasn't much tuition available there for that...heck, even in my part of the US, no local classes were available until last year. My first thought is that maybe this wasn't the right workshop for the area? Maybe my opinion is overly influenced by the "going where the training is" video, but I always thought the UK was tribal-resource-poor, Egyptian-and-other-authentic-style-resource-rich.
    De sage I agree that there is not much tuition in these areas and the level of expectation could be too high in respect to fully understanding a certain format like Suhailas. However there should be a decent attempt by the attendees to have at least some knowledge either through DVDs or other workshops if it is stated as a requirement. One of the reasons i was nervous about attending is because the level of expectation would be much higher than what is readily available resource-wise here.

My issue is that there are plenty of workshops that are suitable for whatever flexibility or age you are and are still very challenging! This kind of workshop is a rarer opportunity for people who want to develop a certain type of bellydance skill using a format that could be seen as more flexibility and strength focused. The attendees would know that if they bothered to check what the required elements were! So even if a student is here is told how good they are if they do not know the format being used they should not attend an advanced class clearly using that format!

I think it is can be very muddy knowing what is classed as advanced/intermediate for other workshops and is more based on a students perception of their abilities. This was quite specific though which is why im being more whingey than I ever would normally!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    I think there is a problem with workshop levels. I could be wrong but - they go from 1beginner, then 2 one year's experience, then 3 advanced. So what i'm looking for is generally 2/3 I think.

Which again is why you need to come to JoY where there are 4 workshop levels, plus some are masterclasses, plus many are 2/3, and there is also an energy level indication.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I know.... I booked for Congress on a whim cos it would be my 60th that week - then realised that was my JOY fund!!! But I will get there!!!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the choice I would rather attend a workshop that was above my level than below. I try to stay at the side - where I can still see reasonably and not get in the way. I wouldn't expect to have workshop slowed down for me though - and I can still pick up loads of tips in the by the way bits!!!
    I think there is a problem with workshop levels. I could be wrong but - they go from 1beginner, then 2 one year's experience, then 3 advanced. So what i'm looking for is generally 2/3 I think.

you see what I want from a workshop is to get something extra, so I'm disappointed if it feels like a lesson from a regular teacher.
    Exactly. At least you go and get on with it and don't complain you cannot understand and slow things down. That's what it's all about, and yes, you can learn an awful lot by just being there. But I find it's the ones who are not capable of absorbing anything, not now, not ever, that are the whingers. Basically, as long as they have holes in their arses, they will never improve, and so find ways to blame all and sundry for what they are in denial for.

Post Thanks / Like

my teacher and I attended the same advanced level workshop with Lorna. afterwards Lorna said that she was sorry that the workshop had been too advanced for me, but there were a lot of teachers there. On the contrary, I loved it, but my teacher didn't

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

my teacher and I attended the same advanced level workshop with Lorna. afterwards Lorna said that she was sorry that the workshop had been too advanced for me, but there were a lot of teachers there. On the contrary, I loved it, but my teacher didn't
    Your teacher didn't? What, she didn't enjoy it for what reasons?

Post Thanks / Like

Because she expected steps and combinations

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Because she expected steps and combinations
    Was it too advanced for her? Or not advanced enough?

Post Thanks / Like

She doesn't do improv - she wanted to learn some combinations to take home and teach her students - incorporate them into her choreos - so I guess it was too advanced because it was about dancing Cairo style improv.

Why did she go? Cos she had seen Lorna dance in Cairo and preferred her to the Egyptian dancers

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

She doesn't do improv - she wanted to learn some combinations to take home and teach her students - incorporate them into her choreos - so I guess it was too advanced because it was about dancing Cairo style improv.

Why did she go? Cos she had seen Lorna dance in Cairo and preferred her to the Egyptian dancers
    She's a teacher of Egyptian dance and she does not do improv? Why on earth are you with this woman? The soul of Egyptian dance is improvisation, interpretation of the music. Now, you can choreograph and make it look like improv, but you've got to be damned good, and even the best dancers in Cairo when they choreo, it shows. To see a dancer improvise, as Fifi does, is to watch the inside become manifest without. I have no respect, sorry, for a teacher of this dance who cannot improvise.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast