Page 106 of 119 FirstFirst ... 65696100101102103104105106107108109110111112116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1182
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah-ha! Brilliant! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, twirly dangly streamer thingies are spirals, there's a recent thread on Bhuz where someone was asking about skirts made of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the edge become more "lettucy" if you stretch the fabric a bit when sewing the edges or isn't it necessary?
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question. The curly edge is done on the outside of the skirt hem. I tend turn the fabric once and run a normal straight stitch the length of the hem. Then turn it again with a short zig zag stitch while stretching it just a hair. Not much really.

Will have to ask hubby how he got the fishing line so uniform and what weight it was. He wound it in even rows around a tomato can (the size of curl I wanted) then set the can in oven for a time. But I don't recall how long or at what temp. (Really should write these things down for future reference.)

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen any of the figure skating from the olympics and gotten ideas for dance costumes?

I like this one from Georgian figure skating Elena Gedevanishvili (source: The best costumes at the European Figure Skating Championships 2012 | Image galleries | RIA Novosti)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	171026153.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	10024
    Last edited by Daimona; 02-19-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

So I decided to quickly make myself a new skirt for the upcoming concert on Sunday instead of going shopping (good idea, got to use some of the fabric I've bought previously). A simple plain offwhite skirt.

Just as I was ready to do the last bit, putting on a couple of hooks and an elastic band, I realized that I had sewn the seam allowance to the wrong side of the fabric and it now shows. *grrr*

Any ideas? Should I unpick the stitches and resew the hemming and edges, or should I cover it with a decorative band? The only bands I've got are gold or turquoise, and I was really planning to have plain white skirt...

I need to finish it by Sunday afternoon, i.e. tomorrow/Thursday evening, because I'll be away most of the weekend (and I really don't have time to work much more with it). *sigh*
    Last edited by Daimona; 05-21-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a circle and a half skirt just make it a French seam. If it is a mermaid skirt unfortunately you'll have to take it apart and re-sew. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. It is actually a narrow wrap-around skirt (with some darts for better fitting in the back) and a decorative (?) panel by the overlap. The problematic hem is along the opening and around the panel is currently rolled (app. 3mm wide) and sewed down.
    Last edited by Daimona; 05-21-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear. If it is what I'm imagining then I would take it apart. Perhaps someone else will have a way to save it.

Post Thanks / Like

It currently looks like this (bad mobile camera). The problem is the edges at the left of the picture, details of the hem to the right.
    --
    Daim.