The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Amulya

Nice velvet materials! I love that type of velvet, but here they only sell panne velvet :confused:

Adiemus, I like that shape of dress, do you have pictures yet of you wearing it? I'm curious how the neckline looks

Aniseteph

The choice of fabrics is pretty meh round here too. This is made out of a blouse I got in a charity shop. Big sizes with long sleeves and not too many seams in the body give a reasonable amount of fabric to play with, and you are more likely to find non-standard colours and finishes.

I have got a terrible charity shop/sparklies habit though - anything with unusual sequins or beads in large amounts.... :rolleyes: at least the charity thing offsets the guilt of masses of "projects" cluttering up the place.

Amulya

I have got a terrible charity shop/sparklies habit though - anything with unusual sequins or beads in large amounts.... :rolleyes: at least the charity thing offsets the guilt of masses of "projects" cluttering up the place.

Same here... the material for my next costume is from the op-shop ($3), much better than buying it for the full price!

adiemus

Amazing what you can pick up at op shops! But the velvet is stretch velvet, not very expensive (for fabric in NZ!! about $12 a metre I think), and it was an 'end of roll' so I got half a metre for nix which was nice!
No I haven't taken a photo of me wearing it yet, there are pins everywhere! Until I finish stitching the lining then the hooks I'll leave it, then I'll take a shot and show y'all.
I love the neckline on it, but I may have to put a trim on it in case Manly Jack decides I am revealing too much! It does show cleavage, but I swear not too much. I was thinking of putting a line of diamantes around the neckline, but do you think that's too much?

feedyoureye

...I was thinking of putting a line of diamantes around the neckline, but do you think that's too much?

If you leave them off, you will have more choices.. necklace or black veil or such at the throat.... even a cool broach at the bottom of the V. You could make one out of the same nice trim and chain you have used if there is some odds and ends left....

adiemus

I have a brooch I could use for the 'V', it's more for slightly raising the neckline - I think it's OK, but Manly Jack is a bit worried. I'll take a picture with it on and let you ladies make the decision for me!!

Amulya

New thing I'm working on, it's a bad quality picture, but you get the idea for the colors:

It's for a gothic belly dance costume. I'm using velvets mostly. The skirts are finished, the thing above is a hipscarf-belt thingy.

Amulya

Belt-thingy* is nearly finished! I still need to make the bra. There will be also a little top for over the bra and another wip wrap for under the belt-scarf thingy

*belt that is pretending to be a scarf (some costume items have identity problems hehe)

Jujube

Sounds exciting, how many hours do you have into this costume so far? Can't wait to see finished pics.

Amulya

I have no idea how many hours, I don't count :D. Well I had a bad couple of days: I was lining the hip-scarf-thingy and cut off too much lining and had to buy new fabric. And I made another scarf for underneath and I have no idea what I did but after it was finished it was suddenly too small. Lovely!
Not to self: never work on costumes when you're tired....

adiemus

I need advice! How much decoration should I have on the front of this dress?
There is a gold chain to drape at the back, and at the front I have some curved applique I can put on it (see the photo earlier in the thread), but I'm just not sure whether I should have so many sequins!
View attachment 2781

Amulya

I like the backside! The front indeed does need something more, maybe something on the bra part? It's difficult because you don't want to make it too busy.

adiemus

The bra is ruched, so it probably won't take too much decoration - although I could just dot gold beads on all over it, and edge the neckline with gold beading too.

Shanazel

My goodness, you look so pretty! Maybe some kind of a subtle drape in gold beneath the breasts across the stomach piece? Emphasis on subtle- the dress is so gorgeous you don't want to clutter it up.

adiemus

*blush* thank you! I'm without makeup and hadn't even done my hair!! I hadn't thought of a drape, that would be quite easy and help show my shimmies!