Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 123456781252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened to my post? I must have accidently posted it in a new thread, how stupid! It was supposed to be in costume encouragement! I just put it back in order. If the posts in this thread seem a bit hayward, it's because I merged them back here from that stray thread

The ties aren't bad looking or bulky. I went for the tie version because it's tribal fusion inspired.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the pleat effect at the top of the bra cups, and I like the tie sticking out a bit. If it knots too lumpy you could just do a half knot, arrange the top section nicely and sew/pin it down with a bit of a motif or trim.

I'm draping fabric to make a pattern for the bra covering - top half is fine, bottom bit - I have half a ton of fabric to dart out. It's all done with an elegant little dart in the book but I think I'm going to do it in two pieces and do some retro-style ruching on the lower half.

New York out in the 'burbs of Lungh Eylund
    Post Thanks / Like

Default costume support

This is a great idea for a thread. The costume looks really pretty. okay here's some support YAYYAY YOU CAN GET IT DONE YAY!!!!
    I have a question... how can you straighten the grain of a fabric. Years ago I bought this really pretty fabric... made a practice skirt but found out it was off grain as it would never hang straight. Now I have an idea for a top with sleeves and tummy cover that this would great as... right now it is just hanging out in the closet of doom ... tah dah dahhhhhh the closet of unfinished projects...

Post Thanks / Like

Aniseteph, that is difficult to get the draping right for the bottom part. If you want to avoid that you can do the bottom bit differently like this:

I used fabric coming from the sites. Not finished yet...

Creaky Old Dancer, thanks for the compliment . For the grain of the fabric, I think you got to find the direction where it doesn't go out of shape. Sometimes this can be lenghtways, sideways, but some fabrics you got to use diagonal. That's what I did with the grey costume.

Post Thanks / Like

I like that style Amulya! I gave it a go but my draping fabric for the pattern pieces was pretty solid cotton and it didn't want to play .

So I split it into two pieces - an upper section and a lower piece that still needs a dart but not so much, as some of the fullness goes in the seam between top and bottom. The cover fabric is dark and velvety and seams vanish quite well, so I'm not too bothered about the extra seam. Looking at how little fabric I have to play with I decided ruching is asking for trouble! keeping it simple instead.

That's the first bit of draping-type pattern drafting I've done!

Post Thanks / Like

You should post some pictures! I'm curious to see how it looks

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a bra in today so i can start sewing on my lace costume!! We were setting up an Estate Sale for my mom's friend's mother-in-law and she had YARDS and YARDS of this beautiful stretch white lace, so they let me have it!! I made the head band already. Made an arm band, but i have to redo it because i made it too tight and i want it on my bicep but right now it only fits my elbow ugh dumb!

got some white beaded fringe on the way too, and a belt form from sugar petals too (God I love that store!!!!). and a white skirt. and i have a white and red veil. I'm hoping it will look as pretty and classy as i imagine!!!! I just wanted a cossie i could wear for more formal occasions besides my flashy purple and green sequin one.

woohoo!!

btw Amulya that costume is looking fabulous!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliment . Sounds like you're in costume heaven, I'm curious what it will look like when it's finished.

I just finished a pair of gauntlets for that grey costume. They were white, but I dyed them with tea and now they're cream .

Still more to do:
    -get the tailor to make the skirt tomorrow (I'm terrible when it comes to skirts, I don't want to mess up the fabric)
    -finish the hip wrap
    -finish the accessories

And yesterday I found aqua and green fabric for the next costume! Just co-incidence: in the op-shop! And there is quite a lot of it! Made my day, I only payed $3 for it

Post Thanks / Like

I need some encouragement! This dress is on the way to being finished, but taking oh so long to do...
    I based it on a Guy Laroche pattern in Vogue, the top, but instead of making a corset, I cut the corset and skirt together to make a princess line dress - a added a small train to the back (well, just a small extension really), and I'll open one of the seams up to mid-thigh in front to make for more room...
    Attachment 2680
    The beading is from a ready-made applique that I've clipped apart, plus I've added a couple of necklaces (thank goodness for costume jewellery!), and for hip detail, I've put two beaded appliques with fringe.
    This is the back...
    Attachment 2682
    Fiddling with the @!#$!$ neckline has had me cursing, and I swear I will never sew black at night again!! This is the front...
    Attachment 2681

Post Thanks / Like

WoooHOO! that is a fab pattern, might have to chase that one up! and the decoration looks fantastic.

Yeah, I'm sure sewing dark colours at night is not as easy as it used to be, especially velvet... I got myself one of those little halogen desk lamps to work by, makes it much easier.

Progress report! I've done most of the bra covering, now working on the belt. I recycled the base from an old project (it had got too small last year, but it fits again now ). Big YAY cos I've got enough fabric and a bit left for armbands and a hair thingy.

( colours must be a bit off because my carpet is definitely not white! Bra is deep blue with a touch of teal)