The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Jujube

Amulya--I know what you mean about working when tired! How frustrating to not only buy more fabric but to repeat work too...arg!

Adiemus, you'll be a knockout in that. I think something along the neckline, then something down the front at the same length as the back decoration, to balance the front and back. Not as wide or elaborate as the back though, which is lovely.

That's a beautiful, curvy silhouette!

adiemus

Thank you! The curves appear without any help from me... dammit. Now if only I could get the leg length...
I'm working on both this black one and a new turquoise beledi dress. Need advice for both...

Firstly, the black one - I have a drape the same as the back - would it be too much to have on the front as well? Sorry about the quality of the photograph - but do you like my duct tape dressform???? You should have seen how much Manly Jack enjoyed the process of smoothing the tape over my body....!
View attachment 2812
Then the blue one, this is a beledi dress, do you think it would be too much to have the beads around the neckline? They have a rather horrid pale blue ribbon so I'd need to cover them with the other fabric (it's much looser and looks bigger than it will be in real life!) and then put the sequins over it, or should I just stick to the sequins?
I'm going to make a detailed bra that will be visible under the neckline, the bra will be in the fabric I've used to cover the ribbon, and will also have loads of sequins and diamantes on it.
View attachment 2813
Style advice please ladies and gentlemen?!
Thanks!
Bronnie

adiemus

It's a bit like a turkish vest or a gawazee coat neckline, with about the top 1/3 of the bra showing and coming out quite wide. I want to use ruched fabric with quite a lot of detail for the bra, in contrast to the simple dress, but keep the overall beledi style.
View attachment 2814

Amulya

I like that idea! Maybe you might not need to put beaded fringe along the neckline after the bra is finished. What are you planning for the bra?

Jujube

I like that idea! Maybe you might not need to put beaded fringe along the neckline after the bra is finished. What are you planning for the bra?

I like that too, for the blue dress. Sounds really nice.

For the first one, I think repeating the design on the back onto the front would be way too much. I'd go much smaller on the front, if it were me.

Lovely stuff!!!

adiemus

Ruching across the bra (similar to the top of the black dress), with crystals and sequins along the edge. The straps will have to be plain, just covered, and the rest of the bra also quite plain and smooth.
The fabric for the ruching is this wonderful metallic open-weave fabric that will go over the basic turquoise lycra, so the colours will show through. I have leaf-shaped paillettes that I'll use rather than actual sequins, so they'll hang and move with me (I hope!).
It's sort of based on something that Ranya Renee wears for her beledi Tahtil Shibbak, but I'm not game enough to wear a neckline that plunges that deep (and Manly Jack would have a fit!)

Shanazel

Slightly off topic- I am dying to make a duct tape dress form to go over my dressmaker's form, Dancing Miranda. Any tips of pitfalls, etc. in making the duct tape form? Hmm. Maybe I need to start another thread for dressmaker dummies. Okay. I will. Bronnie, dear, please see new thread and offer expert advice!

adiemus

Done sweetie! Read and make sure you have someone to bribe - or a glass or two of wine to have at the end.

Amulya

I finally have a picture of the costume I'm working on:

I'm still not sure about the tie on the hipscarf-belt thingy (yes that is a cross breed between a hipscarf and belt :lol:) maybe the ends of the tie bits need fringe? But what kind of fringe? or maybe that would become too busy?

Any tips, critiques, advise? (oh the thingy with 2 roses at the top is not a neck thing but a headdress and is not finished yet)

feedyoureye

That is SOOO cute!
Perhaps some black fringe from the skirt and a stripe of the red like on the bra? (on the end of the tie thingies...) Very cute!

Reen.Blom

I finally have a picture of the costume I'm working on:

I'm still not sure about the tie on the hipscarf-belt thingy (yes that is a cross breed between a hipscarf and belt :lol:) maybe the ends of the tie bits need fringe? But what kind of fringe? or maybe that would become too busy?

Any tips, critiques, advise? (oh the thingy with 2 roses at the top is not a neck thing but a headdress and is not finished yet)

Bring out the closup of that beading!!! It looks absolutely stunning!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
There you go, you get five clapping smiley out of five!:D

gisela

Super Moderator
Very nice Amulya! Yes, I think it might need something on the front hanging part.
I played around a bit with very simple things in photoshop. Hope you don't mind. I didn't really come up with anything groundbreaking though ;)

Amulya

Gisela, I like that! The diagonal ones look great. It's good to be able to see it like this, at fiust when I had the thought I was afraid it would become too much, but it does look good.
Today I took some pics of me wearing it, if they turned out right I'll post those.

Reen.Blom, I thought those leaves were great, I wanted to add some to the belt too....:lol::lol::lol:

adiemus

You guys are so creative!! I love that look Amulya - stunning (but I have to agree with the leaves, a bit OTT. In fact I could see the addition of a few of those turning this wonderful costume into a 'What were they thinking of' entry!!!
I'll post some pix of my completed beledi dress, bra and scarf later tonight.

Reen.Blom

Gisela, I like that! The diagonal ones look great. It's good to be able to see it like this, at fiust when I had the thought I was afraid it would become too much, but it does look good.
Today I took some pics of me wearing it, if they turned out right I'll post those.

Reen.Blom, I thought those leaves were great, I wanted to add some to the belt too....:lol::lol::lol:

Yippy! It is gorgeous!

Jujube

Costume Inspiration thread

Kind of a spinoff from the TPBDC. This one is for costumes that inspire you, impress you, or are simply lovely. Your own, those of professionals, ones for sale that you want to change up a bit with your own personal ideas, whatever you come across or have stashed away in your "costume ideas" folder. (You know you have them.)

Here are a few of mine: