The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

eden eyes

Ariadne,

I loooove those color combos! I've always considered doing a dark color with black lace overlay, it seems so Gothic Victorian. I might have to wear a wig with a costume like that though since my hair is so sunny. All though, I'm sure if I do a half-updo it would look nice.

Purple and black is awesome. But I have enough purple, so I am considering doing dark red with black lace (that way I'm not quite copying you!).

No! Must finish others first!

Speaking of, I am almost completely finished with my new one (the dark blue one with light blue stuff). I'm waiting on the crochet hip wrap to come in, just got my beads in so i need to finish the bra. Will be sure to post pics when I'm done!

Amulya

Alternatively, if you look at the Doris costume again you can see that the wrap doesn't meet. One piece is wrapped over the other and the top piece is then shaped and lightly gathered into a jewel on one hip

I'm going to the fabric store and ask the lady there how to solve it, I don't want to ruin more fabric haha. I don't know if I have enough of that chiffon like fabric for the wrap around bit, I have gained a LOT of weight and I don't have that much fabric LOL.

Ariadne

I think it is stunning! I really like the lace overlay. I noticed the beading on the distance photos, so I think maybe it's a photo issue?? Perhaps hubby was enjoying the booty shot too much? :think:
:lol: Hubby was not amused but I was. :lol: I really hope it's a photo issue.

I really like the sleeves on the vest a lot.

:clap:
Thank you. They gave me a world of trouble. I would let you know what pattern I pulled it from but it sucked big time so all I will say is the drape is just a large square with a hole cut in the center then sewn to the sleeve.

I love that skirt, the white shiny material, good job with the whole outfit!
:think: I noticed after I posted how white it looks... It's actually a transparent celery green chiffon over a silver satin. The shine is the satin showing through. Between the chiffon and the purple underlay on the belt and bra the whole time I was sewing I couldn't help thinking of Aubergine.

Thank you. :D

Ariadne,

I loooove those color combos! I've always considered doing a dark color with black lace overlay, it seems so Gothic Victorian.
You would love my second plan then. I want to make a skirt and dai style pants from black chiffon and add some fishnet gloves with matching medallions at the top. I think it would just be so elegant.

I am debating on adding a matching beaded headband. There's a new experiment to try.

Purple and black is awesome. But I have enough purple, so I am considering doing dark red with black lace (that way I'm not quite copying you!).
Copy away! I just want pictures. :D

In the meantime I have found out that I'm doing my blue skirt all wrong and I was well on my way to TPBDC-land.... The gathered bit on the top shouldn't be done like how I did: gather it all and go with the sewing machine over it, that creates a big bunch and two big bunches create a massive bit where it overlaps. Instead I should have gathered the fabric with elastic.
Always learning new things :)

After reading jenc's post I did a search for some images (1,2) and she is right, they don't meet they overlap. In fact I am not even sure they are really gathered much at all. On close inspection the fabric is actually made to be wrinkled in that direction and then only lightly gathered. I drew up a sketch in Illustrator really quick... it's pretty basic but maybe it can help?

(I also tracked down a copy of the movie and watched it today. The Mata Harri bit made me laugh out loud.)

I think the headdress could be made with nylon over a wire frame then a fabric base sewn onto that but it was very wobbly in the movie. I doubt it could be made very secure with that big lotus on the top.

Amulya

Thanks for that drawing! Still it looks very complicated :lol:. The pictures on internet are all small so it's hard to figure out how it works. Still to me it looks like the ends overlap, or did they use anyther fabric as well that goes over the skirt?

I haven't seen the whole movie yet, so I haven't seen that bit where she wears this costume.

Daimona

:lol: Hubby was not amused but I was. :lol: I really hope it's a photo issue.

If I was going to make detailed photos of your belt and bra, I'd use a lot of bright light, but no flash light.

After reading jenc's post I did a search for some images (1,2) and she is right, they don't meet they overlap. In fact I am not even sure they are really gathered much at all. On close inspection the fabric is actually made to be wrinkled in that direction and then only lightly gathered. I drew up a sketch in Illustrator really quick... it's pretty basic but maybe it can help?

I agree. Very nice sketch, btw.
I think the easiest way to make it is to drape it around your dressmaker form and then pin it to the base of your skirt.

Ariadne

Thanks for that drawing! Still it looks very complicated :lol:. The pictures on internet are all small so it's hard to figure out how it works. Still to me it looks like the ends overlap, or did they use anyther fabric as well that goes over the skirt?

Yes they did. I suspect the underskirt looked something like this:

The dotted line shows where I think the underlayer of the wrap was attached. They used a deep blue fabric that I think was a heavy satin, at least on the skirt the top may have been some type of stretch fabric in a similar color (unless it opened on the seam line and overlapped to latch). The strip that runs from the top of the slit down around and back up on the opposite side looked to have beading on it that made it move quite heavily. (There was a clunk when she kicked it behind her.) I also suspect the little pointy bits around the waist were attached to the top part of the base as well.

Over all this was the blue/white creped silk on the top and a shimmery lavender silk skirt on the bottom. They then took strips of the overfabric (2 of the blue/white and one of the lavender I think), braided it, put a tassel on the end, and sewed it to the small gap in the top of the slit under the bottom of the medallion.

The more I think about it the more I suspect it opened on the seam of the overlap.

If I was going to make detailed photos of your belt and bra, I'd use a lot of bright light, but no flash light.
Thanks for the tip. :D

Last edited:

Amulya

That's typically me to choose something that difficult haha! But yes if they are a seperate skirt and wrap it makes sense, and it wouldn't go all bulky like it did with my skirt. Now I need the nerve to take it all apart again...

gisela

Super Moderator
Wow, I just came across this site with crowns and tiaras. Not exactly dance costumes but this is also an inspiration thread, right? I am not usually much for fantasy elf stuff and such but I found these really pretty:
Goddess Crowns and Tiaras

maria_harlequin

Wow, I just came across this site with crowns and tiaras. Not exactly dance costumes but this is also an inspiration thread, right? I am not usually much for fantasy elf stuff and such but I found these really pretty:
Goddess Crowns and Tiaras

GORGEOUS! Those would look great for ATS or various Fusion performances...the fact that you have to call for a price quote scares me though. They're probably very expensive. The Quan Yin crown is a bit strange though since I grew up with seeing her image in temples here and she's considered very sacred - not something you'd put on a crown to wear.

Shanazel

The cat moon headband is particularly appealing. I know what you mean about Quan Yin on a dress-up crown, Maria. She holds a place of honor in my house and in my life, and this is a bit like putting her image on a tee shirt. Still, people have different ways of honoring What Is and they may wear her image with genuine reverence. I hope so, anyway.

maria_harlequin

The cat moon headband is particularly appealing. I know what you mean about Quan Yin on a dress-up crown, Maria. She holds a place of honor in my house and in my life, and this is a bit like putting her image on a tee shirt. Still, people have different ways of honoring What Is and they may wear her image with genuine reverence. I hope so, anyway.

I totally understand. A lot of people do wear her image with genuine reverence and I have some relatives and have seen people that would wear Quan Yin pendants. I'm not a Bhuddist myself but I'd be horrified if I see people wearing Quan Yin t-shirts casually. Or a crown in this case.

costume support

Hi I agree about the Kwan Yin crown... though I could see covering the inside and using it for a cover for a Kung Fu tea set while serving Iron Goddess Tea and doing the full Chinese tea ceremony. - but that is something entirely different. Now for a costume question I want to make a pair of really full harem pants. The sort that you tie under the knee and the excess billows out - What I have measured out is: 36inches long from hip to ankle with 4" extra to what will be hipband and 9" extra for the bottom - does that sound right or would I just be better to add less and figure an elastic around the ankle ... oh I'm making gussetted pants. I found some really cool red material with embroidered Indian style motifs... and grabbed it in the store and wouldn't let it go... those I'm going to sew together to make a band that will be sort of lower mid calf on the pants. (I own all there is left of those pretties..bwahahah... also found a nice piece of red lace in the store.which I grabbed first off. Fabric addiction is such a horrible disease but hopefully no one will ever start a self help program for it). I have a goodly amount of black material for the pants.
Next you must all 'pray' ;) for me that I get over the fixation of a Hello Kitty bedlah... the bra would have little Hello Kitty faces going across the bosom line.... and the costume would be hot pink and pearlescent white.... stop me please someone anyone....... pleasssssse.... save me this is just wrongggg!. (okay listenting to some overly emotional classical music - cat begging for treats soundtrack - The Adagio in D minor) - Creaks

Daimona

Now for a costume question I want to make a pair of really full harem pants. The sort that you tie under the knee and the excess billows out - What I have measured out is: 36inches long from hip to ankle with 4" extra to what will be hipband and 9" extra for the bottom - does that sound right or would I just be better to add less and figure an elastic around the ankle ... oh I'm making gussetted pants. ... those I'm going to sew together to make a band that will be sort of lower mid calf on the pants.

Uhm.. Sorry, I'm not sure if I really understand what kind of harem pant you are trying to make (except very full ones).. Do you have a picture?

Next you must all 'pray' ;) for me that I get over the fixation of a Hello Kitty bedlah... the bra would have little Hello Kitty faces going across the bosom line.... and the costume would be hot pink and pearlescent white.... stop me please someone anyone....... pleasssssse.... save me this is just wrongggg!. (okay listenting to some overly emotional classical music - cat begging for treats soundtrack - The Adagio in D minor) - Creaks
:shok: I'd say you'd go to the TPBDC with that idea immediately.... can't .. get .. picture ... out of .. mind.. going crazy.. ...

Costume support

Hi Daimona, by really full costume pants - the sort that Rachel Brice wears. The ones that you see in pictures of Turkish women from 19th century with the coats on. Does that help? Creaks.

costume support

Just found the thread that has a picture of the harem pants I'm talking about http://www.bellydanceforums.net/dance-costumes/8413-wonder-what-fabric.html. Really sorry about the brain worm of the hello kitty costume...it's been stuck in my m ind now for a couple of weeks... just an innocent bit of after class silliness - in addition of the dance name of Jelloinena well she started it ...by saying she would check out a bowl of Jello to understand shimmies

Daimona

Hi Daimona, by really full costume pants - the sort that Rachel Brice wears. The ones that you see in pictures of Turkish women from 19th century with the coats on. Does that help? Creaks.

Yes, that helps (but I'm still a bit confused - but it may be because it is too late in the evening and I really need to go to sleep now).

I believe the pants like the one Rachel Brice wears at the picture in the fabric thread could be made the same way as the one to the right below (from Max Tilke Oriental costumes their designs and colors):

Depending on how much fabric you've got and the width of it, I'd say use as wide parts as possible (i.e. less parts to stitch).

If your pants ends up too long, it's easier to cut off some fabric (and make it work with elastics), than too short so you would have to add extra fabric for length afterwards..

Out of the pattern above and Davinas way of making full harem pants (Sample Page 2), I'd choose the above method because there would be less bulging of fabric at the hips and the legs could be made really wide at the bottom..

Edit: From what I can see, your measurements looks ok. But if you really want to tie it right below the knee, you should add even more inches. I'd measure from hip to floor and back to the knee to get the length.

:) Remember to post a picture when they are done.

Last edited:

adiemus

brain worm of Hello Kitty has taken hold. someone help me pleeeeease.....if they could make a wedding gown, a bellydance costume can be done....

feedyoureye

...worm spreading...
How about using this as parts for the bedlah?

those pink pompoms would look Sooooo cute... Perhaps a hoodie bedlah?
oh no! Ive got it too now!

costume support

Yes it would... oh dear... I'm sooooooo sorry:lol: That evening after class started such a terrible thing... all innocent discussions of shimmies, jello oh and a hot pink and gold flecked circle skirt that became mine cause I was the tallest person in class ( oh and the hello kitty backpack charm on my engineer boots). I hate to say it it would probably look good on the right person.
Now back to serious - the harem pants are starting to come along. The site that Daimona sent is really interesting and will be helpful. The costume is building as it turns out that I will have some leftover motifs... that I can use with the other fabric find of red net lace with fringe - that I am thinking of maybe sort of needlepointing with some silver thread to resemble assuit. That I am holding off on... have enough silliness floating in my costuming mind.:pray: