The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Amulya

I'll post the picture for you here :) white or very light grey would be nice too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 36

Suzanne Azhaar

IMG_3961.jpg Skirt complete. Finished the belt yesterday :dance: Now to tackle the bra. Giving it one week, whatever is completed in that time, that's how I'm wearing it.

Last edited:

Amulya

Nice! What colour skirt are you combining it with? Is the chiffon in the picture the skirt? I like the fabric :)

Suzanne Azhaar

The skirt is a variation on the tube skirt frequently seen in the dance world. Wanted something tapered to my body and fitted around the legs, so now it's a mini skirt sewn from stretch black velvet. Added five wedges of fabric that has an obvious pattern to the bottom (gray /black tiger chiffon fabric) and a lettuce edge hemline. Turned out well.

Watched this video several times, made a couple mock ups, added a couple more inches at the bottom (bit drafty when I bent over) then cut my fashion fabric.

How To Pattern Pencil/Mini Skirt (Knit Fabric) - YouTube

Suzanne Azhaar

I'm someone who adores that "wall of fringe". What could possibly be better? Two walls of fringe on the same belt! :dance:

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

Last edited:

Jane

Okay, so I'm hemming the pinky/purple-ish costume from the earlier pic and I still haven't decided what to add. It's perfectly wearable as it is of course. Does anyone know what those long streamer-like ruffles are called? Some of those might be nice. If I knew what the name was I could possibly look up how to make them. Pondering.

Suzanne Azhaar

Thank-you Amulya. Hoping the bra turns out well. (We'll see.)

Jane, I don't know what the streamers are called, but figured out it's a spiral that makes the curl. I drew mine 2 1/4" wide and about a yard long.

IMG_3988.jpg

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Yup, twirly dangly streamer thingies are spirals, there's a recent thread on Bhuz where someone was asking about skirts made of them.

Daimona

Will the edge become more "lettucy" if you stretch the fabric a bit when sewing the edges or isn't it necessary?

Suzanne Azhaar

Good question. The curly edge is done on the outside of the skirt hem. I tend turn the fabric once and run a normal straight stitch the length of the hem. Then turn it again with a short zig zag stitch while stretching it just a hair. Not much really.

Will have to ask hubby how he got the fishing line so uniform and what weight it was. He wound it in even rows around a tomato can (the size of curl I wanted) then set the can in oven for a time. But I don't recall how long or at what temp. :think: (Really should write these things down for future reference.)

Daimona

So I decided to quickly make myself a new skirt for the upcoming concert on Sunday instead of going shopping (good idea, got to use some of the fabric I've bought previously). A simple plain offwhite skirt.

Just as I was ready to do the last bit, putting on a couple of hooks and an elastic band, I realized that I had sewn the seam allowance to the wrong side of the fabric and it now shows. *grrr*

Any ideas? Should I unpick the stitches and resew the hemming and edges, or should I cover it with a decorative band? The only bands I've got are gold or turquoise, and I was really planning to have plain white skirt...

I need to finish it by Sunday afternoon, i.e. tomorrow/Thursday evening, because I'll be away most of the weekend (and I really don't have time to work much more with it). *sigh*

Last edited:

Suzanne Azhaar

If it is a circle and a half skirt just make it a French seam. If it is a mermaid skirt unfortunately you'll have to take it apart and re-sew. Good luck!

Daimona

Thanks. It is actually a narrow wrap-around skirt (with some darts for better fitting in the back) and a decorative (?) panel by the overlap. The problematic hem is along the opening and around the panel is currently rolled (app. 3mm wide) and sewed down.

Last edited:

Daimona

It currently looks like this (bad mobile camera). The problem is the edges at the left of the picture, details of the hem to the right.