The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Amulya

Note:
I have merged the costume inspiration thread into this one, because it's a very similar thread

Since I'm being superlazy and can't get myself to finish my costume I thought of starting a thread where people with similar issues encourage each other to finish their new costumes :D. People who are not lazy and who do finish their costumes in time are welcome!

So this is what needs to still be done on my costume:
-hair pieces need finishing
-finish bra
-get sewing machine fixed so I can finish the hipscarf
-maybe get a modern matching skirt made in the same material (if they didn't sell out the stuff!)

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Good idea for a thread - I have costume-finishing issues! Actually I have finishing ANYTHING issues.

This is for the end of July (eek!)

1. I've lengthened the skirt so it does not have to be worn perilously low with a low-slung muffin top - :shok: :naghty:

2. Unpicking a silk-mix velour top to see how much fabric I've got to play with for the bra/belt - might need to do some mix 'n' match.

3. Need to make patterns to see how much fabric it needs.

Still not sure about the design of the decoration, but I thought I'd just cover the bra/belt and see where it takes me. This could be a really bad idea if the spirit of UBDC takes hold... :pray: (prays to costume goddesses everywhere), but otherwise I'll be faffing around Designing forever.

Wow - it helps just to write down what you need to do. I'm going to go do some more unpicking...

Amulya

Do you have pictures? Maybe you can get help from forum people for ideas :)

I've just put my sewing basket next to me on the couch, but it doesn't seem to help :lol:

Aniseteph

You give me hope!

I might give my skirt a trial run in class tonight, try to get used to the proper length rather than 4 inches off the ground!

I've started the bra; making new sections for the band because at the mo the back part is a lot narrower between where the straps join than at the sides, and I want a smooth line.

Amulya

You can cut the new straps in such a way that it joins nicer. The bra I'm working on has the same problem. I'm going to post some pictures later today so you can see what I mean :)

Amulya

Ideas?

The bra:

I might do something like this for the skirt/belt, but I need to figure out a way to get that tie not to bulky:

If anyone has tips for how to make a nice knot at the side (or front), tips are very welcome :). Maybe it should be sewn in that shape, rather then tied?

Aniseteph

Yay, pics! :dance:

Mine definitely needs the band remodelling - at the moment the shoulder straps join at the edge of the wider part of the back band (which is good, makes a nice line from the cup and no side boob issues!), but the band narrows there so the straps and centre back make a U shape. I can't alter the position or attachment angle of the straps with the back band as it is without making it look odd. Crossing in the back makes a weird mega-keyhole effect. :mad:

No probs - I'm leaving some of the side as it is to keep a bit of flexibility and adding something wider on the rest. Might put a strip of light boning on the join to keep it from rumpling up.

maria_harlequin

Guh. I have a big performance on the 27th and I've yet to put together my ATS costume or fix my cabaret one. Lazy, lazy, lazy...

feedyoureye

There's that beautiful damask! I don't mind the tie as it is, but I'm sure you could compress the knot by sewing it down a bit.

Amulya

What happened to my post? I must have accidently posted it in a new thread, how stupid! It was supposed to be in costume encouragement! I just put it back in order. If the posts in this thread seem a bit hayward, it's because I merged them back here from that stray thread :)

The ties aren't bad looking or bulky. I went for the tie version because it's tribal fusion inspired.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Love the pleat effect at the top of the bra cups, and I like the tie sticking out a bit. :cool: If it knots too lumpy you could just do a half knot, arrange the top section nicely and sew/pin it down with a bit of a motif or trim.

I'm draping fabric to make a pattern for the bra covering - top half is fine, bottom bit :mad: - I have half a ton of fabric to dart out. It's all done with an elegant little dart in the book :lol: but I think I'm going to do it in two pieces and do some retro-style ruching on the lower half.

costume support

This is a great idea for a thread. The costume looks really pretty. okay here's some support YAY:dance::dance::dance:YAY YOU CAN GET IT DONE YAY!!!!:dance::dance: :lol:
I have a question... how can you straighten the grain of a fabric. Years ago I bought this really pretty fabric... made a practice skirt but found out it was off grain as it would never hang straight. Now I have an idea for a top with sleeves and tummy cover that this would great as... right now it is just hanging out in the closet of doom ... tah dah dahhhhhh the closet of unfinished projects...

Amulya

Aniseteph, that is difficult to get the draping right for the bottom part. If you want to avoid that you can do the bottom bit differently like this:

I used fabric coming from the sites. Not finished yet...

Creaky Old Dancer, thanks for the compliment :). For the grain of the fabric, I think you got to find the direction where it doesn't go out of shape. Sometimes this can be lenghtways, sideways, but some fabrics you got to use diagonal. That's what I did with the grey costume.

Aniseteph

I like that style Amulya! I gave it a go but my draping fabric for the pattern pieces was pretty solid cotton and it didn't want to play :rolleyes:.

So I split it into two pieces - an upper section and a lower piece that still needs a dart but not so much, as some of the fullness goes in the seam between top and bottom. The cover fabric is dark and velvety and seams vanish quite well, so I'm not too bothered about the extra seam. Looking at how little fabric I have to play with I decided ruching is asking for trouble! keeping it simple instead.

That's the first bit of draping-type pattern drafting I've done! :dance:

eden eyes

Just got a bra in today so i can start sewing on my lace costume!! We were setting up an Estate Sale for my mom's friend's mother-in-law :lol: and she had YARDS and YARDS of this beautiful stretch white lace, so they let me have it!! I made the head band already. Made an arm band, but i have to redo it because i made it too tight and i want it on my bicep but right now it only fits my elbow :doh: ugh dumb!

got some white beaded fringe on the way too, and a belt form from sugar petals too (God I love that store!!!!). and a white skirt. and i have a white and red veil. I'm hoping it will look as pretty and classy as i imagine!!!! I just wanted a cossie i could wear for more formal occasions besides my flashy purple and green sequin one.

woohoo!!

btw Amulya that costume is looking fabulous!

Amulya

Thanks for the compliment :). Sounds like you're in costume heaven, I'm curious what it will look like when it's finished.

I just finished a pair of gauntlets for that grey costume. They were white, but I dyed them with tea and now they're cream :).

Still more to do:
-get the tailor to make the skirt tomorrow (I'm terrible when it comes to skirts, I don't want to mess up the fabric)
-finish the hip wrap
-finish the accessories

And yesterday I found aqua and green fabric for the next costume! Just co-incidence: in the op-shop! And there is quite a lot of it! Made my day, I only payed $3 for it :D

adiemus

I need some encouragement! This dress is on the way to being finished, but taking oh so long to do...
I based it on a Guy Laroche pattern in Vogue, the top, but instead of making a corset, I cut the corset and skirt together to make a princess line dress - a added a small train to the back (well, just a small extension really), and I'll open one of the seams up to mid-thigh in front to make for more room...
View attachment 2680
The beading is from a ready-made applique that I've clipped apart, plus I've added a couple of necklaces (thank goodness for costume jewellery!), and for hip detail, I've put two beaded appliques with fringe.
This is the back...
View attachment 2682
Fiddling with the @!#$!$ neckline has had me cursing, and I swear I will never sew black at night again!! This is the front...
View attachment 2681

Aniseteph

WoooHOO! that is a fab pattern, might have to chase that one up! and the decoration looks fantastic. :clap:

Yeah, I'm sure sewing dark colours at night is not as easy as it used to be, especially velvet... :mad: I got myself one of those little halogen desk lamps to work by, makes it much easier.

Progress report! I've done most of the bra covering, now working on the belt. I recycled the base from an old project (it had got too small last year, but it fits again now :dance: :dance: :dance:). Big YAY cos I've got enough fabric and a bit left for armbands and a hair thingy.

:)shok: colours must be a bit off because my carpet is definitely not white! Bra is deep blue with a touch of teal)