The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Ah! So you know about the hair tie technique - heck, maybe I first heard it from you!

Your idea to make them work with Zildjians has got me thinking... Thanx!!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Thinking about this a bit - the fundamental problem using hair ties on Zildjians is their wide slot won't retain them. Maybe the solution is as simple as simply tying the two loops together topside with some button thread. Or maybe not...

I'll have to try it, I'm currently out of appropriately sized (small) hair ties...

Daimona

I'm trying to decide how to inexpensively fake khaleeji dresses for my dancers who don't want to buy one. I'm thinking big rectangular caftans made from a single length of chiffon or georgette with a square cut from the bottom of each side to simulate the sleeves and a session with the glue gun and glittering trim. The really hard part is our local fabric store closed in June and we are left with quilting stores, Wallie World, and Hobby Lobby. None of those is exactly a hotbed of chiffon and fancy trim, though HL carries some trim. Closest garment fabric is now in Cheyenne, two and a half hours away. How can a city of nearly 60,000 people not have at least a Joanne's???

A pair of thin curtains pr dress, partly overlapping. Stitch/glue/whatever and cut a hole for the neck (overlapping part) and decorate. Voilá!

Shanazel

The last week I've been buried in writing assignments that had to get done, autumn gardening chores, and choreography work so I haven't managed to darken the doorway of a single second hand store. However, my students are getting after it. Some can't resist the real dresses online and others are happily creating their own versions including at least one non-sewing student who is investigating glue guns. ;)

I did pull out the purple dress Lydia Tzigane sent me from Kuwait a few years ago and took it to class last night for students to examine. I miss Lydia along with so many other folks that used to come around here. She was very sick for a while and I lost track of her.

Shanazel

I did, thank you, Dar.

Costume projects permanently on hold. The students I hoped would take over my classes have both evinced interest so I am moving my retirement date up from spring 2018 to the end of May 2017. :) I will be selling the rest of my costumes shortly as well as disposing of the rest of my costume fabric stash. Will probably keep a couple of things for sentimental value or repurposing but that is all.

Daimona

Ok, not a dance costume, but inspired by... I made this for my new golden party dress lined with a gorgeous petrol lining a couple of days ago. This piece was made (quick and dirty) from a a piece of petrol georgette and filled with cut off bits and pieces from the main dress, and off course beads, paliettes and acrylic stones from my dance stash.
IMG_20191024_231849_509.jpg