Page 1 of 116 12345671151101 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Note:
    I have merged the costume inspiration thread into this one, because it's a very similar thread

Since I'm being superlazy and can't get myself to finish my costume I thought of starting a thread where people with similar issues encourage each other to finish their new costumes . People who are not lazy and who do finish their costumes in time are welcome!

So this is what needs to still be done on my costume:
    -hair pieces need finishing
    -finish bra
    -get sewing machine fixed so I can finish the hipscarf
    -maybe get a modern matching skirt made in the same material (if they didn't sell out the stuff!)

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea for a thread - I have costume-finishing issues! Actually I have finishing ANYTHING issues.

This is for the end of July (eek!)

1. I've lengthened the skirt so it does not have to be worn perilously low with a low-slung muffin top -

2. Unpicking a silk-mix velour top to see how much fabric I've got to play with for the bra/belt - might need to do some mix 'n' match.

3. Need to make patterns to see how much fabric it needs.

Still not sure about the design of the decoration, but I thought I'd just cover the bra/belt and see where it takes me. This could be a really bad idea if the spirit of UBDC takes hold... (prays to costume goddesses everywhere), but otherwise I'll be faffing around Designing forever.

Wow - it helps just to write down what you need to do. I'm going to go do some more unpicking...

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have pictures? Maybe you can get help from forum people for ideas

I've just put my sewing basket next to me on the couch, but it doesn't seem to help

Post Thanks / Like

Bra is nearly finished, I'm now beading the thing

Post Thanks / Like

You give me hope!

I might give my skirt a trial run in class tonight, try to get used to the proper length rather than 4 inches off the ground!

I've started the bra; making new sections for the band because at the mo the back part is a lot narrower between where the straps join than at the sides, and I want a smooth line.

Post Thanks / Like

You can cut the new straps in such a way that it joins nicer. The bra I'm working on has the same problem. I'm going to post some pictures later today so you can see what I mean

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ideas?

The bra:

I might do something like this for the skirt/belt, but I need to figure out a way to get that tie not to bulky:

If anyone has tips for how to make a nice knot at the side (or front), tips are very welcome . Maybe it should be sewn in that shape, rather then tied?

Post Thanks / Like

Yay, pics!

Mine definitely needs the band remodelling - at the moment the shoulder straps join at the edge of the wider part of the back band (which is good, makes a nice line from the cup and no side boob issues!), but the band narrows there so the straps and centre back make a U shape. I can't alter the position or attachment angle of the straps with the back band as it is without making it look odd. Crossing in the back makes a weird mega-keyhole effect.

No probs - I'm leaving some of the side as it is to keep a bit of flexibility and adding something wider on the rest. Might put a strip of light boning on the join to keep it from rumpling up.

Post Thanks / Like

Guh. I have a big performance on the 27th and I've yet to put together my ATS costume or fix my cabaret one. Lazy, lazy, lazy...

Post Thanks / Like

There's that beautiful damask! I don't mind the tie as it is, but I'm sure you could compress the knot by sewing it down a bit.

Page 1 of 116 12345671151101 ... LastLast