What sort of dance is this?

I found this vid searching for zills on youtube and I was wondering at about 1:23, what type of dance she is doing? I noticed other dancers do this style of dance to that particular instrument and Im not familar with it? Thanks

Kashmir

Weird - the music is Sa`iidi but it looks like she is doing khaleegi to it at that point. Then she appears to switch back to Sa`iidi at 1:34.

Marya

Are these bellydance? Can you explain what those are please?

I can't view the video, but Saidi and Khalegie are folkloric or folk dances and therefore do not fall into the category of Raks Sharki, Oriental Dance or Belly Dance. They are frequently part of a show the is mainly Belly Dance and add variety.

Marya

Kashmir

Are these bellydance? Can you explain what those are please?
Sa`iidi is a style of dance from upper Egypt eg Luxor, Aswan. Khaleegi is the style danced in the Gulf. They can be danced standalone as a folkloric item within a show - or it is normal for an educated dancer to add elements of the style when the music pulls in elements of the music. An Orientale piece nearly always uses a range of musical styles - rhythms and tunes - from (the Maghreb and) the Middle East. As each one is introduced the dancer would perform a few characteristic steps. Some pop items will also have a folkloric flavour (usually a single flavour) - in this case it is also appropriate to give a nod to the source.

These are a couple of the source dances for "belly dance" in general. Would you dance Sa`iidi to non-Sa`iidi music? No, not normally. No more than you would dance polka to a waltz. But to ignore the music is equally wrong. In the broadest sense, if I am dancing to Sa`iidi (or khaleegy) music, I would say I'm belly dancing - but in a very restricted movement vocabulary. If I am doing an Orientale with appropriate Sa`iidi (or khaleegy) vocab then I am definitely belly dancing. If the music is Sa`iidi (or khaleegy) and I totally ignore it, you could argue that then I am not belly dancing but rather doing some contemporary or jazz dance.

kalila_raks

This is a Dabkah song, but she's not doing Dabkah. It's just a mix of a lot of different styles. I see a little Saidi, a little Khaliji, and other stuff.

Kiadorin

I see a pretty big mess. :lol:
what a bad song to choose for this choreo
it's lebanese debke inspired pop :naghty:

The song choice may not have been appropriate for that particular choreography, but I don't agree with calling it a mess at all. Her movements and her cymbal-playing are both nice, especially considering that she'd only been dancing for a year at that point (according to her comment on the video).

MelodyGabrielle

It also appears as though the dancer is not responsible for the choreography. According to the title is says "practicing our new zill chor. by Sonya"

Be kind. There are some many people who begin bellydance and do not have access to what styles go with what music. I come from Kansas and that is a very big problem here.

samiagamal

The song choice may not have been appropriate for that particular choreography, but I don't agree with calling it a mess at all. Her movements and her cymbal-playing are both nice, especially considering that she'd only been dancing for a year at that point (according to her comment on the video).

oh ya
sorry didnt mean to sound snarky!!
I know she's a new student!
and she's good considering the ahem choreographer she has
I was totally blaming the choreographer, teacher, whoever, for that mess of the song and choreo not meshing
nothing against the girl, her dancing or zill playing all 3 are good actually!
but all put together, ya I saw a mess, not her fault but...

samiagamal

There are some many people who begin bellydance and do not have access to what styles go with what music.

That's a shame.
I understand that, but if I see it, (music not meshing) I'll point it out, it's one of my pet peeves.
Hey the bdss have access to that info and even they made a blunder with that!!