America's Top Bellydancer Contests

America's Top BellyDancer is a weekly show bringing together the best Belly Dancers from around the world. Each week these dancers will perform to a sold out crowd and a live T.V. audience. In order to be crowned America's Top Bellydancer.

Grand Prize "1st place Winner"$5000 dollars in Cash & Prizes-Performance at House of Legends, Egyptian Belly Dance Costume,Star in a Music Video,Performance at a major Concert

2nd place "Winner" $1000 dollars
BellyDance Costume Performance in Music video
Live Concert Performance

3rd Place "Winner" $500 dollars
Free entrance Fee for next year
Performance in music video
Live concert Performance

Welcome to America's Top Bellydancer Contests

Last edited:

Azeeza

The center photo is a little misleading. While the photo is lovely, the ladies are dressed like Las Vegas Show Girls. If I read the ad closely, this IS ALL belly dance associated, correct and not anything else, like burlesque, show girls, exotic, etc.?

Azeeza

shiradotnet

I don't understand - why would you advertise a belly dance competition using a photo of people dressed in samba-style costumes?

It makes me wonder whether the judging will indeed reward dancers who are skilled in actual belly dancing, or whether it will just reward anyone who looks hot in a skimpy costume?

Samira_dncr

Shira, doesn't that photo look like it's from that number that some dancers did at the IBDC press release party in Vegas? The one where they really did look like showgirls? Hey! I think it is the same group. It's Leyla and the Lotus Dancers.

Last edited:

da Sage

Ah.....they need to hire a proofreader.

Also, the name is kind of unfortunate: America Stop Bellydancer!:lol:

It kind of sounds like this is more of reality show than a competition.:shok::rolleyes:

da Sage

This is an audacious claim from their website:

"Come join us and be part of the First Ever Bellydance Contest....America's Top Bellydancer....."

as part of their Mission Statement:

Mission Statement

"America's Top Bellydancer is a contest bringing together all Cultures and Religions in the beauty of Dance. This show is for all ages, and sizes....Professional and Non-Professional. True Family entertainment. We would like to say that a Beautifual Ancient Art Form from the Middle East is Loved and Respected here in the United States Of America.....Come join us and be part of the First Ever Bellydance Contest....America's Top Bellydancer.....
Good luck..."

The site is hard to navigate. I can't tell what network or cable channel this contest will air on, if they're shooting yet, or when they're shooting. Or maybe they just release the video that contestants send in, in a composite show?

Azeeza

Oh, this is so much better. I'm sorry if I was being picky.

This is a Middle Eastern dance board and we have rules that it should be Middle Eastern related and when the dancers didn't look like they were wearing Middle Eastern costumes it made me a bit suspicious.

Thanks for changing the photo.

Azeeza

Samira_dncr

This is a Middle Eastern dance board and we have rules that it should be Middle Eastern related and when the dancers didn't look like they were wearing Middle Eastern costumes it made me a bit suspicious.

Azeeza

:lol::lol::lol:

karena

Ah.....they need to hire a proofreader.

Crikey you're not kidding! And a graphic designer wouldn't go a miss to ;)
Is it real? I tend to be very suspicious when there is little attention to detail, it smacks of something odd. But doesn't the USA have a huge number of TV channels, so I guess some maybe have tiny budgets so no money for proofreaders and graphic designers?

da Sage

Crikey you're not kidding! And a graphic designer wouldn't go a miss to ;)
Is it real? I tend to be very suspicious when there is little attention to detail, it smacks of something odd. But doesn't the USA have a huge number of TV channels, so I guess some maybe have tiny budgets so no money for proofreaders and graphic designers?

I worked on a syndicated radio show a couple of years ago. Budget is always an issue, but a quality, informative website is very important for driving "buzz" these days. We received many complaints about the website being bad, because it was not updated regularly or well. If the website had been better, it would have helped the show's momentum. Unfortunately, the show failed, and the website was just one factor in why.:(

Karena, in the USA we have many TV channels; most are cable/satellite (subscription) channels. They all have names, whether broadcast or subscription (ABC, TNT, Oxygen). The fact that no specific TV channel is mentioned makes me think that the show is independently produced and is trying to find a buyer channel/station, or it's "cable access only" (these are local-only cable channels that are run by the community...not much funding for these, and only people who subscribe to cable in a small geographical area can see the channel - someone in San Francisco wouldn't see a Los Angeles channel, or vice versa).

Cable-access shows are notorious for being low-budget, low-quality, and really weird. Think "Wayne's World" (a movie from a few years ago). There are very high-quality and informative shows on cable-access, too, but everyone remembers the freak/soapbox ones more. ;)

Last edited:

Azeeza
America's Top BellyDancer would like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. in order to have the website up and running for last weeks convention...we were unable to spend the time on making the site perfect. we have lots of updates and changes...so please stay tuned...I'm sure all your questions will be answered by this week...thank you so much..

teela

I just explored your website and I find very little information. Information like if you are from elsewhere and you send in the photo and the video and are chosen to compete, who pays the airfare, hotel, etc for the person going there. Will the competitors from elsewhere be required to be there for several weeks? Who is the famous musician who is judging? Is there an age limit? How is the winner actually chosen? Will the winner be who ever gets the most first places over the period of several weeks? What?
Who are all the owners of this contest?
I feel there is insufficient information to seriously consider this. The lack of detailed information makes one think this may not be as legitimate as it might be.

da Sage

I feel there is insufficient information to seriously consider this. The lack of detailed information makes one think this may not be as legitimate as it might be.

Personally, I think it sounds legitimate, but
1) it's not a large-distribution show, at least not yet.
2) there's likely to be money issues with the production, unless they get a large sponsor (either a product or a large-distribution channel/network).
3) this might be more of a reality show than a talent-focused dancing contest.

I think your questions about cost reimbursements and time commitments for participation are good. I'd also encourage potential contestants to read the fine print on any contract or entry form. This could still be a great opportunity for the right dancers, though.

Greek Bonfire

Does anybody know what TV channel this was on? Or am I dim bulb and just didn't see it? I am very curious as to how this turned out.