Tito with VEIL.....

Pirika Repun

I know this is off topic from Tito's veil work. However, how about Virginia's costume in this video? What do you think?

My question is this music is not pop music or shaabi, but kind of sharki type of music. So, these costumes are OK with sharki or even traditional songs? :rolleyes:

If Tito's veil work was fine, gallabeya go with veil?? I don't think Tito will wear skirt, so maybe this street type costume is what best he can think of???:think:

Back to veil work. I think Tito's dynamic moves are not fit to graceful veil moves. I think he has veil techniques, but his dance style is just too dynamic and little busy for veil. If he slowed down his moves a little bit and not too much high leg ups and wide stance then MAYBE little better... BUT I still don't feel TITO & VEIL.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Well, the heck with complicated costumes from here on out. I'll just go to class straight from riding my horse and convince everyone that cowboy boots and Wranglers are the newest thing in belly dance wear. :rolleyes:

People always think veil work is going to be oh so simple and that any idiot with a few feet of chiffon can look cool. It takes a newbie about five minutes in a good veil class to discover that there is an art to using a veil well and that pumping chiffon can wear you out about as fast as pumping iron.

Tito is one of my favorite performers, but I am disappointed in his performance. It almost makes me angry to see someone of his caliber perform with a veil before he has any genuine understanding of what he is trying to do. Unless, of course, he did want to invoke the ambiance of a biker hanging out his sheets. ;)

da Sage

what I noticed is this image Tito has these days... it reminds me of some footage I have seen of JIm Boz, what is the chance Tito is copying him?

I have not seen anyone walking the streets of Cairo dressed like this.

Yes, you get tight back T-shirts and 80's throwback washed denim, but nothing like this! :rolleyes:

If they did a duet they would lool like the WWF.

It's not so much Jim Boz as some variety of goth/pirate/emo. It's pirate bellydance, and he's shaking out the sail (while dancing a hornpipe).

Or maybe he's going bald (go headwrap!).

I loved that second clip someone posted (the duet). I don't care what the man wears, just let him dance! Preferably minus the veil.:dance:

da Sage

Well, the heck with complicated costumes from here on out. I'll just go to class straight from riding my horse and convince everyone that cowboy boots and Wranglers are the newest thing in belly dance wear. :rolleyes:

People always think veil work is going to be oh so simple and that any idiot with a few feet of chiffon can look cool. It takes a newbie about five minutes in a good veil class to discover that there is an art to using a veil well and that pumping chiffon can wear you out about as fast as pumping iron.

Tito is one of my favorite performers, but I am disappointed in his performance. It almost makes me angry to see someone of his caliber perform with a veil before he has any genuine understanding of what he is trying to do. Unless, of course, he did want to invoke the ambiance of a biker hanging out his sheets. ;)

I have to think that he was trying for something really new, and mis-gauged the effect horribly.

I also think that veil is very tricky, it's in the presentation as much as the difficulty of each veil "move", and oh yes, don't forget to dance while you're at it! I admit to being highly critical of veil dances, and normally would choose to view another sort of number if I had a choice. Most people do a poor-to-mediocre veil, some are good, very few are compelling (both good and interesting).

Shanazel

The veil portions of dances are best left short, I think, because they can lose their "wow" factor pretty quick, especially if the dancer depends heavily upon spins to make the veil fly. The following is too long for my taste, but there are some nice manipulations involved.

YouTube - Utah Belly Dance artist. Shahravar with Double Veils

Moderator: please forgive me if this is marginal for being off topic. I'll remove it if you like.

Last edited:

Lydia

i was looking for his emailadres honestly but did not find it.to ask him please why did you do that? i can not understand that he did ,because a good dancer like that would not go out and look like that he must know that it looks clumsy? so i realy dont understand...he is to good to just go up there and make a mess and dont realize.....veilwork is ver beautiful but not easy do make it look good...even from the way he is holding it and cary his body when he works the veil ,i geuss he just looked at someone doing it and try,d to copy ...nobody was realy telling him how and what to do and what not to do...it puzzles me ...what a pitty it is realy not doing him any good ,i hope he stops doing it

Caroline_afifi

I think the clip is ok but because the way they are dressed,...just looks like they are giving some kind of demonstration.

I do not like this overt Western image for Egyptian dancing.

Now Tito looks like a member of the Village people.:rolleyes:

masrawy

I think the clip is ok but because the way they are dressed,...just looks like they are giving some kind of demonstration.

I do not like this overt Western image for Egyptian dancing.

Now Tito looks like a member of the Village people.:rolleyes:

Exactly Caroline I will add one more thing this piece is highly choreographed with theatrical overlay mix .. it's something for everyone.

As we say " Samak Laban 3ala tamer 7ani" they don't go together but everyone will find something they like.

basically, he lost the earthly feeling to his dance which was special about him!!

Pirika Repun

i was looking for his emailadres honestly but did not find it.to ask him please why did you do that? i can not understand that he did ,because a good dancer like that would not go out and look like that he must know that it looks clumsy? so i realy dont understand...he is to good to just go up there and make a mess and dont realize.....veilwork is ver beautiful but not easy do make it look good...even from the way he is holding it and cary his body when he works the veil ,i geuss he just looked at someone doing it and try,d to copy ...nobody was realy telling him how and what to do and what not to do...it puzzles me ...what a pitty it is realy not doing him any good ,i hope he stops doing it

Hi Lydia

If you are in facebook, looking for Tito. He is in facebook too and you can find his e-mail address. Or looking for Myspace. He has both and actually he is my friend in both facebook and myspace. :cool:

I love his performance, but like you and many other people in here I just don't feel his veil work. Hopefully he stop doing it, but maybe not....

Shanazel

It means he is compromising the true art of the dance for people he thinks do not know any different.

Guess maybe he'd better adjust his ideas about western audiences then because a whole bunch of us do know the difference. ;)

Shanazel

Do you have any statistics!! you and couple of your friends are not the Western audiences.

:rolleyes:

Mahmoud, what on earth do you get out of being so adversarial? Consider all the people from the west who dance and dance well, take into account the westerners who sincerely study the middle eastern roots of belly dance, look at all the people on this forum alone who do care and who do have a clue. These folks count as an educated audience, and are the very ones most likely to be interested in and present at belly dance performance.

da Sage

Mahmoud, what on earth do you get out of being so adversarial? Consider all the people from the west who dance and dance well, take into account the westerners who sincerely study the middle eastern roots of belly dance, look at all the people on this forum alone who do care and who do have a clue. These folks count as an educated audience, and are the very ones most likely to be interested in and present at belly dance performance.

I have to say that a lot of the newer western BD audience is made up of young or quirky people who will be more interested in a contemporary/"dark" dress style, than the traditional white robes or sparkle. Tito's already hooked the "educated", folklore-savvy dancer, so doing a few performances in more modern costume won't hurt his career any, and may actually help it.

Or maybe he is just dressing that way because he likes the look.:) It's far more conservative than stretchy pants, which male dancers sometimes wear in the US! I really think men have a hard time with costuming, especially if they want to stay on the more "masculine" side of the spectrum. They don't have as many choices as we do.

Pirika Repun

Or maybe he is just dressing that way because he likes the look.:) It's far more conservative than stretchy pants, which male dancers sometimes wear in the US! I really think men have a hard time with costuming, especially if they want to stay on the more "masculine" side of the spectrum. They don't have as many choices as we do.

Actually that what Tarik told me about his costume. I'll perform traditional Egyptian style tomorrow, BUT I don't have costume other than gallabeya. So, I told him, and then he said "Costume is easy part. You (woman) have a lot of options compare to me (man)." Yup, he gave me some idea about costume.

BTW here is Tarik's street cloth type of costume. He said he had idea before Tito! :lol:

masrawy

I call it as I see it!!

Shanazel,why do you assume I have some sort of motive or I get something out of it!! I just speak my mind and call it how I see it!!

I have praised Tito before in this forum when he was good, I believe my opinion particularly in these clips are correct. If you think he's doing great and you like them that's fine I have no problem with that. If you think Egyptian don't understand and can't make an educated judgment about their own dance/dancer, can't help you with that!!

Sorry, for breaking the new forum rules .. "Must agree with whatever got posted before you"

Now, all the people in this forum I take it they are more educated than his audience or the Western general public. And you can tell from the reply throughout this thread.

So, please don't put words in my mouth ... if I would like to insult you Know very well I can do it. :shok: