Tell me something about yourself...

Sita

Well I am new here so basically anything I tell you folks will be new, but here goes. I have always had a love for the bagpipes and celtic music even though I was raised in America by lebanese parents . First time I heard the bagpipes I felt like I was in a trance lol:D and I have been hooked ever since.

The Irish uilleann pipes are better you don't run out of breathe :whistle:
hey, you prolly have Irish somewhere in you...pretty much everyone does;)

Ontopic- I'm allergic to horses, so I can only ride Donkeys

Sita

Shanazel

Sita's right about the Irish- there are more Irish Americans than there are Irish Irishmen :lol:.

How awful to be allergic to horses, but I'm sure you look perfectly adorable on a donkey. One of our fears when we had children was that they would be allergic to animals, but we got lucky. Of course, there is the opposite challenge instead: those kids have brought home any number of strays, both animal and human.

Sita

Sita's right about the Irish- there are more Irish Americans than there are Irish Irishmen :lol:.

How awful to be allergic to horses, but I'm sure you look perfectly adorable on a donkey. One of our fears when we had children was that they would be allergic to animals, but we got lucky. Of course, there is the opposite challenge instead: those kids have brought home any number of strays, both animal and human.

I've always wondered if it was a comment on my personality, ya know only being able to ride asses;) but it's cool I like Donkey's they have funky ears and it worked for Jesus after all.

I'm allergic to quite a few animals but we still have 4 cats and I used to have a pet Giant African Snail called Ulli - he was lovely and had a cucumber addiction. :dance:

Sita

Nath

Interesting you had a snail for a pet. I used to bring everything I could find home and that included snails. :cool:

Something about me... hmm... my pride and joys are my 9 grandchildren and 4 great grand babies. :dance:

Zurah

Mornings? What are those?:think:

:lol: Love it - how 'bout we form a club, LebAm and Reen? Who invented mornings anyway...

Ok, as for me... for the last couple days I've been completely and utterly obsessed with Del Shannon's 'Runaway', and keep playing the youtube clip - when I don't, the song keeps playing in my head. It's just as well that this was well before my time - I just know that, had I heard this song and seen this guy in action when I was younger, I'd have fallen hopelessly head over heels :rolleyes:

leb_American

:lol: Love it - how 'bout we form a club, LebAm and Reen? Who invented mornings anyway...

Hey Zurah sounds like a great idea to me:D

Sita, that could be because I seem to like Irish music more then lebanese music and im lebanese hehehe. All my relatives want to go to lebanon each summer, but id rather go to scotland or ireland lol :lol: . I dont know what it is but I have always felt something spiritual when I hear celtic music .

gypsy_Max

leb_American,Zurah

That's a great idea, guys! I'm totally with you about an Irish music))) Whenever I hear it, I fall in some kinds trance, same as from gypsy music, and start to dance smth I don't know what exactly( because I don't look in the mirror) LOL.

Neways, seems there are quite sum of us who like celtic music a lot. That makes a club))

Last edited:

Sita

I never knew Irish and Celtic music was so popular, it's just always been around. My mama used to sing traditional folk songs instead of lullabies to us when we were babes, my song was 'Believe OF All Those Endearing Young Charms' by Thomas Moore; Ireland's National Bard (he also wrote the famous Minstrel Boy) so well loved they put a statue of him up - right next to some public toilets it's known as the 'Meeting Of the Waters' :lol:.

Perhaps we should swap places Leb_american, I prefer Lebanese music, culture and food (although I do love Irish culture and music too). If you do go to Ireland get in touch... you really should see Newgrange in Meath (the ancient capital). My family are from Wexford, Cork and Leitrim (but live all over).

As for music may I recommend Eimear Quinn Eimear Quinn, Official Website, Irish Singer, Eurovision Winner, Celtic Singer, Songwriter she's worked with both Anuna and Clannad (on her second her album). You may know her as a Eurovison winner. She is a beautiful vocalist and sings many traditional songs as well as her own compositions. :)

Sita

leb_American

Thanks alot for the link Sita, I will definately check it out with with great joy. Sita, if and when I do visit Ireland I will definately visit the towns you recommended:), I could listen to the Irish accent all day. IF you ever visit lebanon I would recommend 2 towns in the beautiful metn Mountains (El Khanchara, and El Mrouje) as I also have relatives there too. You would be waking up in the morning to the sounds of the the bells that the goats and sheep wear around their necks as well as the sheep herder and the rooster crowing. The scenary is amazing overlooking Mount Sannine. Its like taking a step back in time 150 years.

File:Mount Sannine.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beirut is great for night life but Im a down to earth kind of guy so I like the honesty and warmth of the mountain people.

As for Irish music I would also like to recommend Mairead Nesbit for the violin
YouTube - Celtic Woman - A New Journey - Granuaile's Dance
who is a part of centic woman
YouTube - Celtic Woman - Caledonia
YouTube - Celtic Woman - A New Journey - Mo Ghile Mear

Wow Sita, I just heard Eimear Quinn on youtube. I still have goose bumps:).
Spectacular voice YouTube - (Eurosong 1996) - Eimear Quinn - "The Voice"

I never knew Irish and Celtic music was so popular, it's just always been around. My mama used to sing traditional folk songs instead of lullabies to us when we were babes, my song was 'Believe OF All Those Endearing Young Charms' by Thomas Moore; Ireland's National Bard (he also wrote the famous Minstrel Boy) so well loved they put a statue of him up - right next to some public toilets it's known as the 'Meeting Of the Waters' :lol:.

Perhaps we should swap places Leb_american, I prefer Lebanese music, culture and food (although I do love Irish culture and music too). If you do go to Ireland get in touch... you really should see Newgrange in Meath (the ancient capital). My family are from Wexford, Cork and Leitrim (but live all over).

As for music may I recommend Eimear Quinn Eimear Quinn, Official Website, Irish Singer, Eurovision Winner, Celtic Singer, Songwriter she's worked with both Anuna and Clannad (on her second her album). You may know her as a Eurovison winner. She is a beautiful vocalist and sings many traditional songs as well as her own compositions. :)

Sita

Sita

;)I'm glad you like her. The image was beautiful. Thank you.

Here is Newgrange it is a prehistoric tomb the most famous of the mounds found on the Brú na Bóinne site. It's older than the Great pyramids and stonehenge and the celts. In mythology it is the place of the Sidhe(Irish fairys) and a gateway into the Otherworld. Nowadays it has a good vistors centre too;)
Newgrange Ireland - Megalithic Passage Tomb - World Heritage Site

My mother refused to enter it: to superstitious about it. In Meath theres also Slane and the hill of Tara etc.

Something about me I'm a massive hurling fan and support WEXFORD!!! YAY for the yellow bellies, fitzhenry is the best:dance:

Sita

The image is entitled Purple and Gold (the colours of Wexford it's of the Heather and gorse on Forth Mountain, County Wexford.)

Last edited:

Sita

OK I also post an irish favourites... lol

Anuna give me goosebumps each time I hear them sing!

We do seem to be off-topic a bit - perhaps a separate thread is needed?

anyway a few Anuna vocalists have gone solo - Eimear (already mentioned) and Méav Ní Mhaolchatha who has a couple of solo albums of traditional songs from Ireland, Scotland and England which I would also recommend. Also Clannad can not be forgotten, or the Dubliners:)

Now getting back to topic: one of my granmother's was welsh but I only know how to say good day in Welsh. However we do support Wales in Rugby (my mother refused to speak to my father's father when Ireland beat them). We also eat pics or welsh cakes on St. David's day but that's pretty much it.

Sita

Tell me something aobut your self

When I was a kid I used to take accordian lessons. The music school was on the second floor above the local movie theatre... So I had to lug my big accordian up the stairs. We had music recitals and my mom still has the picture of me in a crinoline black and white dress with the de riguer (sp?) patent leather maryjanes. Now how about that for a geeky and somewhat scary image. Oh today I am going to take my very first violin lesson using my late aunt's Heberlein violin that I am nearly too in awe of to take out of the case. Creaks
p.s Had the first lesson and it rocks. My teacher grew up listening to oud music and loves it and Eastern European music...

Last edited:

Safran

Creaks, I used to take accordeon classes as well... If I had had any idea of baladi music back then, I might have been more enthousiastic and therefor more successful at it!

Tell me something about yourself

Hi Safran I believe you are right...if the music was more exciting I may have been better at the accordian lessons too; though right now I am happily playing my violin scales. :) Creaks

Farasha Hanem

Hi Safran I believe you are right...if the music was more exciting I may have been better at the accordian lessons too; though right now I am happily playing my violin scales. :) Creaks

:shok: You play the violin too??? YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I'M NOT ALONE!!! :D:D:D

I love watching Japanese anime and playing video games, and am online friends with my fav anime and video game voiceover actor, Kyle Hebert. I'm still a 10-year-old at heart. :D