Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well...

I think I have to explain things here ...
    I produce the Layali Festival, since three years ago. First time was 2004.
    The organizers of Kairo by Night festival had been in Egypt every year this time for 10 years. So also 2004. But the year after, 2005, they broke this long tradition, and organized a festival exactly the same date as mine, though I choose this time, not to disturb their SBDF in may.
    After copying my website/logo, I had enough and wrote an open letter to them and the swedish dance community.
    I had a great respons from the swedish dance community, wich is not familiar with this behaviour.
    I don´t want to be in war with anyone, I just love oriental dance, and I think the people that lose when it is a "dance war" is the students that have to choose between two festivals in a small country like Sweden.
    best regards, Ann Larsson
    ps and yes, it is the same people that run the Nile Group that organizes Kairo by Night. (= a tradition in trying to destroy festivals, like Raqia Hassans in Kairo. Sorry , Suz..I mean Freya)

Quote Originally Posted by DaVidofScandinavia View Post
    There can only be lack of communication if there is a pre-exsisting communication. SBDF and EKC where the first organizers of a festival in Stockholm and usually announce their dates in good time for others to take into consideration.

The fact that others choose to boicot or schedule their events at the same time is unfortunate, but may be deliberate in some cases. It happens all over the place. We see it happen even here in the US.

DaVid

Post Thanks / Like

Ann, just for the record, my post was not aimed at you in any way. I was just making a general observation in regard to the fact that events have a tendency to get booked on the same dates - not only in Sweden.

Who scheduled their event at the same time as the other is nothing I know anything about - in regard to your and EKC's festivals, that is.

You are right, it is unfortunate that events happen on the same dates.

We all love oriental/Middle Eastern dance and would all love for it to spread out as much as possible.

DaVid

Post Thanks / Like

Ann,

I just want to make it perfectly clear to you and the rest of the group that I am not Suzanne in disguise, as you comment suggests:

Quote Originally Posted by Aminah View Post
    Sorry , Suz..I mean Freya)
    I think this should be abundantly clear to everyone from my posts here and elsewhere on the forum. As for your comments about "destroying festivals" I have stated my opinions in this matter in one of the posts above, and I do not care to re-open pandora's box again.

I resent the implication that I should be involved in some kind of "war," under false pretenses. I am just one of Suzanne and Mohamed's very happy students, and I wanted to share my excitement about the Cairo by Night festival with other members of the forum.

Best wishes and good luck with your festival,
    Freya

Post Thanks / Like

Idea

I just discovered that next year (2008) in the beginning of may, there will be two festivals in Stockholm at the same time. SBDF and "Nadjas dansskola"

SBDF 1-4 May
    and
    Nadja 2-4 May

Since I'm not a member of neither of the schools I don't know if there has been any kind of communication between the festival organizers.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chajo View Post
    I just discovered that next year (2008) in the beginning of may, there will be two festivals in Stockholm at the same time. SBDF and "Nadjas dansskola"

SBDF 1-4 May
    and
    Nadja 2-4 May

Since I'm not a member of neither of the schools I don't know if there has been any kind of communication between the festival organizers.
    Well, I know that the date for the 2008 Stockholm Belly Dance Festival was known at this year's festival in May and may have been set some time before that. The date for Nadja's festival has only recently appeared on her website.

I know which one I'll be going to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suheir View Post
    Well, I know that the date for the 2008 Stockholm Belly Dance Festival was known at this year's festival in May and may have been set some time before that. The date for Nadja's festival has only recently appeared on her website.

I know which one I'll be going to.
    I wasn't sure when the different festivals were annonced - but I had my ideas, and now you confirmed...

I also know which one I'll be going to

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12