Post Thanks / Like

Default Snake like movements

Hello Ladies,

What is the key to languid, snake like movements? Practice is obviously one way, but are there other things that I can do to help? Even though I practice, my movements are still jerkyand don't flow.

Post Thanks / Like

Practice is the only way, and that does not mean practice limited to your classes. Practice while you take a shower. Practice sitting in the car. Practice while cooking dinner. Sooner or later, your diligence will pay off in smoother movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't try and do the whole movement at first; concentrate on each bit - slowly. You need strength, flexibility and control. Control is firing the muscles in the right order and firing the minimum needed for an effect. Getting the control initially is a conscious process. However, in order to dance it smoothly you need it in the automatic part of the brain. So, slow and conscious to build the neural pathways until you can switch onto automatic.

Practicing it move incorrectly means you will lay down incorrect pathways and never get the look.

Post Thanks / Like

Start by making your movements very slow (like Kashmir said) and small. When a movement is smaller, it is often easier to control. Make the movement small enough that you can execute it smoothly, even if it's so small that you are barely moving. As you practice, slowly increase the size and speed of the movement.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I find very helpful is to go swimming and practice in the water.
    The water provides a slight resistance and also helps to support you; so when doing, for instance, snake arms, you don't have to fight gravity, so it makes the movement easier, then, you can keep doing it and slowly go to shallower water so that your arms are slowly going above water and you have to begin working against gravity.

I hope that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Along with the advise, I think I have to just practise, practise, practise.Thanks a lot for the good advise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salila View Post
    One thing I find very helpful is to go swimming and practice in the water.
    The water provides a slight resistance and also helps to support you; so when doing, for instance, snake arms, you don't have to fight gravity, so it makes the movement easier, then, you can keep doing it and slowly go to shallower water so that your arms are slowly going above water and you have to begin working against gravity.

I hope that makes sense.
    thats a really good idea!!! im definitly going to give that a try =)