Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello from South Africa

Hi,

I am a 32yr old indian female living in Johannesburg, South Africa. I have never learned any form of dance growing up, but i did kind of teach myself by watching music videos since i have always loved to dance but never had the resources or money to go to a class. In my late 20's i finally plucked up the courage to go to dance classes (I had always thought it was too late for me to to go to class) and started with Irish dancing, which i did for a year. A friend and I had decided to try out bellydancing for fun, she had stopped but i got hooked! I am very passionate about bellydancing, i think it is the most beautiful dance form.I have been learning to bellydance for two years now, my teacher has encouraged me to join her and two other girls to perform at a function on the 4th July. I am really nervous about it, it will be my first up close and personal performance (It is a moroccan themed dinner with about 300 people!) I just hope that i remember how to bellydance!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Chantal. Congrats on your upcoming performance. Sounds wonderful. Once that music starts and you start to dance you will be fine and will sail through your performance I am sure. You will have to let us know how it all goes & post a photo or 2

LOL! you thought you were too old to start in your 20s ... so glad you lost that thought. I started dancing just before my 55th birthday .... now that is rather late in the scheme of things, but it was the best thing i ever did. I am 60 now and think I'll be shimmying & hip-dropping my way into the afterlife and beyond!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

YAY!! Very warm welcome to the forums!!!

hope to see many more posts from you!!

Happy Dancing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your warm welcome Mosaic and Reen
    I will definately post pics of the performance as soon as i get them.

Mosaic, that is awesome! I am glad i lost that thought too, don't know why i was restricting myself but now i live by the fact that it is never to late and you never too old to do anything! Life is meant to be lived to the fullest!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chantal View Post
    Thanks for your warm welcome Mosaic and Reen
    I will definately post pics of the performance as soon as i get them.

Mosaic, that is awesome! I am glad i lost that thought too, don't know why i was restricting myself but now i live by the fact that it is never to late and you never too old to do anything! Life is meant to be lived to the fullest!
    Correct! It is never too late. The 'girls' I dance with are - 63, 62, 60 (me) 51, 41 & 37. Our instructor is a sweet young thing at 33 We are just one class, which just turned out to have most of the older 'wiser' ones (Except for the 2 younger ladies, we are the golden oldies LOL!) Our instructor teaches classes 6 days a week, and has 2 classes on Tues, Wed Thurs. She is very energetic, teaching young girls, beginners, advanced beginners, 2 intermediate groups(us) & an advanced group. Will I ever reach the advanced level... I don't know but I am happy doing what I do, and we dance at local events and things like that. I think that is good enough for me. You have many, many years of growing with the dance so don't look back just dance forward ... growing old is mandatory, growing up and into life is optional ... I am still growing up
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Correct! It is never too late. The 'girls' I dance with are - 63, 62, 60 (me) 51, 41 & 37. Our instructor is a sweet young thing at 33 We are just one class, which just turned out to have most of the older 'wiser' ones (Except for the 2 younger ladies, we are the golden oldies LOL!) Our instructor teaches classes 6 days a week, and has 2 classes on Tues, Wed Thurs. She is very energetic, teaching young girls, beginners, advanced beginners, 2 intermediate groups(us) & an advanced group. Will I ever reach the advanced level... I don't know but I am happy doing what I do, and we dance at local events and things like that. I think that is good enough for me. You have many, many years of growing with the dance so don't look back just dance forward ... growing old is mandatory, growing up and into life is optional ... I am still growing up
    ~Mosaic
    Mosaic, you ROCK(or RAQ)!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    Mosaic, you ROCK(or RAQ)!!!
    Thank you sweet lady .. it is good to see you around again. I missed you
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Thank you sweet lady .. it is good to see you around again. I missed you
    ~Mosaic
    HUGS BACK *hug* I am always lurking! Come over for coffee and cookies!