Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I have many that i love, mostly in videos (the oldtime egyptian dancers, Fifi, Mona, Suheir, Nagua) live I've enjoyed very much Khaled Mahmoud and Serena Ramzy is joyable to see. I had the principal to watch Suha Azar to dance in my living room (she doesnt perfom ever), I will never ever ever forget it.

As for the worst, many many in the years, but I will always keep the vomiting memory of the Greek Raqs Sharqi contest 2006 (yes i did vomit twice for real)

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Why Shakira, of course

Sorry, couldn't help it. How 'bout the gal who was Vashti in Land of the Pharoahs, OK OK, I'll be serious.

The best I ever saw was ages ago and I don't even know her name but she was doing a gig in San Diego when we were vacationing - when she was done we heard some guys leaving mumbling "that was more muscle control than we'd see at the Olympics", I'd have to agree.

Worst - meh, I've never seen anyone that bad - just beginners who ain't there yet . I do tend to like it raw rather than slick.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay tuned...I'm dancing in a hafla the end of this month, and decided for one number I'm going to twirl a cane to the title song of the musical, "Cabaret." (the original stage version, not the Liza Minelli movie version). Gonna have high kicks towards the end, and of course a big layered shimmy finish.

Maybe I'll make the "worst" list, but I'm going to have fun doing it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post

Worst performance: this year I went to see a dancer perform in Belgium. let's say this: claw hands, super-UBDC and most un-elegant performance I've ever witnessed:eek: Couldn't enjoy the dancing, hands freaked me out.
    Woow, Yshka, I know exactly what performance you are talking about and I couldn't have described it more properly. What about the eyes? Did you notice? She had the most freaky look in her eyes I had ever seen. The thing is, this performer is calling herself a professional and people are paying to see her performance, she has given herself the right to teach others, to pass on whatever I saw her doing and this is exactly what disturbs me. This isn't a student who is "just doing her best" nor someone who dances for fun. By calling herself a professional dancer and instructor, she states that she is a qualified representative of this art and that is just wrong. Same thing about the contest Maria Aya had described: people are claiming to put a mirror image (or expression) to the audience of a certain form of art and by qualifying this image as acceptable and appreciation-worthy, they teach the audience to identify this art with this image. For example: my mom who is a complete stranger in the world of oriental dance sees the performance of this dancer in Belgium and concludes that this is what I'm learning, because the dancer is putting the same lable on her performance as I do on the thing I'm trying to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great thread!

I haven`t seen so many dancers live yet, but Randa Kamel at Oslo Oriental Dance Festival this year absolutely blew me away. She is amaaaaaaaaazing!
    I`m travelling to Cairo in January so hopefully I will see many more perfomances there

As for the worst...Impossible to pick just one, but what makes me crawl down under my seat is when dancers are trying to look sexy, sauntering around stage with half-closed eyelids brrrrrrr. Also, dancers with uncontrolled, jerky movements and those who dance way too fast for the music

Oh, and once I watched a very good dancer who didn`t smile ONCE during her whole performance and generally looked like it was really bothersome for her to have an attentive audience. I was smiling and clapping but she just danced straight past me and wiggled in front of my boyfriend instead. We never returned to that restaurant!

Post Thanks / Like

OMG Yasmina, so true! I'm wondering, If you saw the same performance, what did you think of the costume change halfway (well..costume change as in ripping away the dress and so on and ending up in a really unflattering costume and throwing herself onto the floor instead of lowering down slowly and elegantly...

Her make up was way wrong and her face looked scary

My group really did think it was a comedy act...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dheisha View Post
    ... a very good dancer who didn`t smile ONCE during her whole performance ...
    My teacher said she once danced at an event and two Turkish girls said that she danced very well but "smiled too much". . I don't know if it's a Turkish/Egyptian-style difference, but some of the dancers I've seen on YouTube have been very serious, like it's a serious business being so sexy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default good and bad prformances

I have seen many many performances sadlly the bad ones are the most, marie

Post Thanks / Like

Default bad and good performances

one of the most beautyfull was Aisha Ali in full Ghawazee Costume dancing "Banat Mazin" with the Abu Kharage Mizmar group. another one was Sahara Saeeda's Melaya Leff Mesmerazing. Morocco,s coreography to Efred of Hakim, ( I Cryed ). Hadia dancing Fadda of Hossam Ramzy breath taking. Tarik Sultan dancing Aho Aho of Hakim spell bounding. Hadia's Award wining Tale of the Sahara Coreography. Amaya dancing ' Ojos asi " of Shakira, beautyfull! so I guess that made up for all the bad performances. Mariesaffron

Post Thanks / Like

having just discovered Orit from Antiseteph's clip -- Here's another I really like!!

(can't really reply to best and worst - don't get to see much live BD and certainly not from Greats. SO, I rely on You Tube a lot -- I agree w/ Yska - if I had to choose one clip only - on a desert island etc etc etc - it would also be the Naima Akif clip of Original Azize-- that has it all, for me, although thank goodness there are 100000,00000,000000's to choose from (and on UTube)

also this Saida clip is just one of my favorites -- I LOVE this song --

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast