So are we good luck?

eden eyes

I read on atlantabellydance.com in the bellygram and performance section that having a belly dancer at a wedding reception or engagement party is good luck in bringing children, happy home, and joy to the family to be. There was also some stuff on there about belly dance orginating as a way to worship fertility deities, but I don't choose to believe that.

It then shows a picture of a bride and groom touching a belly dancer's belly to bring good luck. (I would post it but it is a no-right-click zone).

This is the first time I have ever heard about belly dancers being good luck charms. Somewhere I have heard that the candelabra brings good luck as well.

Is the whole "belly dancers at weddings bring good luck" something that a lot of performers advertise? Is that an actually authentic idea or is it made up to get more business?

Thanks everyone! Muah :D

Marya

I read on atlantabellydance.com in the bellygram and performance section that having a belly dancer at a wedding reception or engagement party is good luck in bringing children, happy home, and joy to the family to be. There was also some stuff on there about belly dance orginating as a way to worship fertility deities, but I don't choose to believe that.

It then shows a picture of a bride and groom touching a belly dancer's belly to bring good luck. (I would post it but it is a no-right-click zone).

This is the first time I have ever heard about belly dancers being good luck charms. Somewhere I have heard that the candelabra brings good luck as well.

Is the whole "belly dancers at weddings bring good luck" something that a lot of performers advertise? Is that an actually authentic idea or is it made up to get more business?

Thanks everyone! Muah :D

I have heard this before, in the context of Egyptian weddings only. I have also inferred this belief from viewing old Egyptian movies, where people gather around the BD and make circular motions with their hands over the head of the dancer.

I have never seen or heard a credible source (ie cultural anthropologist) for this belief though.

Marya

Marya

raks amira

we are good luck

Yes, in the Arabic world we are. I have danced for many Arabic weddings and returned to dance for the birth of each child. There are biger party for after the child is born. The party before was all women. And the party after were both men and women. Just 6 or so yrs ago I dance at a 30 yr wedding anniversary. The cuple was suprised to find out that I we the dancer at there wedding.( I was 17 at the time of there) They told me that I had given then more good luck for the next 30 yrs. I hope that I have. In my yrs dancing I feel that I have made many poeple happy through Belly dance.

Amira Alabina

raks amira

yes, I still dance. I go to Rakkasah West and dance every yr. I also still love teaching belly dance. I will never stop dancing, its a big part of my life.

Amira

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Our troupe actually just recently danced at a wedding reception. They danced in and then brought in the bridal group. Very nice and they really loved it.