Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Good superstitions when performing!

It's been a while since I saw a thread about the superstitions we have when we perform.

I'm lucky I think because Kashmir follows a lovely tradition for her first-time performers - we all get a blue bead to put in our costumes for good luck.

The story goes (Kashmir will you correct me if I get it wrong?!) that the blue bead scares away the jealous spirits who would ruin your dance. Mine is pinned inside my favourite copper dress I use for saidi, but some have theirs in their bra or belt.

Does anyone have any others to share?

Post Thanks / Like

yes!!! dont accept your salaris before the show!!!! baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad luck!!!!!make sure they bring it but tell them ,,please pay me after the show!!! i mean it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe a blue scarab was given to children/babies in Ancient Egypt to protect them so a blue bead is kind of like that, Nice tradition.

The eye of Horus was also worn for protection ( it has blue in it (in the form of turquoise I believe) as well as red, green gold ( probably worn by adults because it would be a bit big on kids unless they made them small..

I have a beautiful coiled serpent ring that has diamonds all the way around it, plus Ruby eyes and an emerald on the top of its head. My husband gave it to me some years ago. I always wear that for performances. I kind feel 'undressed' without it, so I think i have started a little tradition for myself
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

The FCBD prayer before every performance.

Post Thanks / Like

What is it Alosha? I haven't heard it before.

Post Thanks / Like

Mosaic, that ring sounds amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a moving meditation. Its beautiful, and something that really centers me and reminds me why I dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post
    yes!!! dont accept your salaris before the show!!!! baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad luck!!!!!make sure they bring it but tell them ,,please pay me after the show!!! i mean it!!!
    Ah, Lydia, my Scots blood requires me to take the siller as soon as it is offered to me. However, I've always been paid after performances, so it has never been a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Why? What can happen? I'll have to remember this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post

Post Thanks / Like

My mother firmly believed that finding a penny meant someone in heaven is thinking of you. If I find a penny before a performance, be it on stage or in class, I pick it up, tuck it somewhere safe and say, "Thanks, Mom."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast