Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Member Mara2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm curious about the blue bead superstition. Could that be from the evil eye? Since they are almost always blue? I have the one my dad used to have when he lived in Turkey in the 1940's, but it's much too big to carry on me, so a blue bead or smaller evil eye would be good. I also know my mom never went anywhere without her Turkish worry beads, and when they broke she had a fit. But they were black. lol
    Last edited by Mara2; 07-07-2009 at 07:45 AM.

  2. #12
    Junior Member Nineveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Fatima hand is a lucky charm too, no?
    I think it's a lovely symbol.

  3. #13
    V.I.P. shiradotnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This superstition comes from the mainstream theater world, NOT from the belly dance world.

    Theater people believe it is bad luck to utter the name of a certain Shakespeare play. They just won't refer to it by name at all. If they must mention it in a conversation, they'll say, "the Scottish play" and everyone knows exactly which one they mean. For example, they won't say, "I auditioned for the role of Macbeth." Instead, they'll say, "I auditioned for the lead role in The Scottish Play."

    My brother-in-law is adamant about this. He absolutely will NOT call that play by its name!

  4. #14
    Member Mara2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    This superstition comes from the mainstream theater world, NOT from the belly dance world.

    Theater people believe it is bad luck to utter the name of a certain Shakespeare play. They just won't refer to it by name at all. If they must mention it in a conversation, they'll say, "the Scottish play" and everyone knows exactly which one they mean. For example, they won't say, "I auditioned for the role of Macbeth." Instead, they'll say, "I auditioned for the lead role in The Scottish Play."

    My brother-in-law is adamant about this. He absolutely will NOT call that play by its name!
    hehe My oldest daughter is an actor, so I know what you mean. The other is never saying "good luck". I always tell her to break a leg when she has an audition. lol

    I was wondering about sewing something into the costume, though, as that is not a theater tradition? Especially something blue. I'll do some research on this, and see what comes up, if anything.

  5. #15
    Member Mara2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nineveh View Post
    The Fatima hand is a lucky charm too, no?
    I think it's a lovely symbol.
    Yes it is. It is also called "Hamsa" hand, and has the evil eye in the palm sometimes. It is used in Muslim and Jewish faiths as a lucky talisman.

  6. #16
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Jews from Yemen also call it the hand of Miriam.

  7. #17
    V.I.P. adiemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Jews from Yemen also call it the hand of Miriam.
    I believe the blue bead probably originates from Turkey in the same tradition as the blue glass with the white circle in it - the 'eye'. Anyway I like the tradition and I've kept mine.

  8. #18
    Member Mara2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    I believe the blue bead probably originates from Turkey in the same tradition as the blue glass with the white circle in it - the 'eye'. Anyway I like the tradition and I've kept mine.

    Thank you, Adiemus! I totally believe you are right about the origins. Cool...now I'm going to have to find some evil eyes that are tiny enough to sew into mine lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •