Good superstitions when performing!

adiemus

It's been a while since I saw a thread about the superstitions we have when we perform.

I'm lucky I think because Kashmir follows a lovely tradition for her first-time performers - we all get a blue bead to put in our costumes for good luck.

The story goes (Kashmir will you correct me if I get it wrong?!) that the blue bead scares away the jealous spirits who would ruin your dance. Mine is pinned inside my favourite copper dress I use for saidi, but some have theirs in their bra or belt.

Does anyone have any others to share?

Lydia

yes!!! dont accept your salaris before the show!!!! baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad luck!!!!!make sure they bring it but tell them ,,please pay me after the show!!! i mean it!!!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I believe a blue scarab was given to children/babies in Ancient Egypt to protect them so a blue bead is kind of like that, Nice tradition.

The eye of Horus was also worn for protection ( it has blue in it (in the form of turquoise I believe) as well as red, green gold ( probably worn by adults because it would be a bit big on kids unless they made them small.. :D

I have a beautiful coiled serpent ring that has diamonds all the way around it, plus Ruby eyes and an emerald on the top of its head. My husband gave it to me some years ago. I always wear that for performances. I kind feel 'undressed' without it, so I think i have started a little tradition for myself:D
~Mosaic

alosha

It's a moving meditation. Its beautiful, and something that really centers me and reminds me why I dance.

Shanazel

yes!!! dont accept your salaris before the show!!!! baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad luck!!!!!make sure they bring it but tell them ,,please pay me after the show!!! i mean it!!!

Ah, Lydia, my Scots blood requires me to take the siller as soon as it is offered to me. However, I've always been paid after performances, so it has never been a problem. :D

Shanazel

My mother firmly believed that finding a penny meant someone in heaven is thinking of you. If I find a penny before a performance, be it on stage or in class, I pick it up, tuck it somewhere safe and say, "Thanks, Mom."

Mara2

I'm curious about the blue bead superstition. Could that be from the evil eye? Since they are almost always blue? I have the one my dad used to have when he lived in Turkey in the 1940's, but it's much too big to carry on me, so a blue bead or smaller evil eye would be good. I also know my mom never went anywhere without her Turkish worry beads, and when they broke she had a fit. But they were black. lol

Last edited:

shiradotnet

This superstition comes from the mainstream theater world, NOT from the belly dance world.

Theater people believe it is bad luck to utter the name of a certain Shakespeare play. They just won't refer to it by name at all. If they must mention it in a conversation, they'll say, "the Scottish play" and everyone knows exactly which one they mean. For example, they won't say, "I auditioned for the role of Macbeth." Instead, they'll say, "I auditioned for the lead role in The Scottish Play."

My brother-in-law is adamant about this. He absolutely will NOT call that play by its name!

Mara2

This superstition comes from the mainstream theater world, NOT from the belly dance world.

Theater people believe it is bad luck to utter the name of a certain Shakespeare play. They just won't refer to it by name at all. If they must mention it in a conversation, they'll say, "the Scottish play" and everyone knows exactly which one they mean. For example, they won't say, "I auditioned for the role of Macbeth." Instead, they'll say, "I auditioned for the lead role in The Scottish Play."

My brother-in-law is adamant about this. He absolutely will NOT call that play by its name!

hehe My oldest daughter is an actor, so I know what you mean. The other is never saying "good luck". I always tell her to break a leg when she has an audition. lol

I was wondering about sewing something into the costume, though, as that is not a theater tradition? Especially something blue. I'll do some research on this, and see what comes up, if anything.

Mara2

The Fatima hand is a lucky charm too, no?
I think it's a lovely symbol.

Yes it is. It is also called "Hamsa" hand, and has the evil eye in the palm sometimes. It is used in Muslim and Jewish faiths as a lucky talisman.

adiemus

Jews from Yemen also call it the hand of Miriam.

I believe the blue bead probably originates from Turkey in the same tradition as the blue glass with the white circle in it - the 'eye'. Anyway I like the tradition and I've kept mine.

Mara2

I believe the blue bead probably originates from Turkey in the same tradition as the blue glass with the white circle in it - the 'eye'. Anyway I like the tradition and I've kept mine.

Thank you, Adiemus! I totally believe you are right about the origins. Cool...now I'm going to have to find some evil eyes that are tiny enough to sew into mine lol