Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belly Rolls

Post Thanks / Like

Default Belly Rolls

Can anyone explain how to do belly rolls? I have Delilah's Volume 3 DVD and she does explain it some, but I'm still having trouble getting it. One of the Fat Chance DVDs also explains it some, but I still can't get it. Does anyone have any suggestions for some preparatory exercises? Is it a circle or a figure 8 or just and roll vertically up and down the abdominals?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very basic roll

First ensure you can move your belly below the belly button independently from above. Initially I get my students to lie down and pull in then oush out first the upper half (with their hands above and below the belly button - you can use you hand to cue the muscle) then the lower half. Once you can do it lying, try standing.

Next pull in, in then out, out. To refine it you need finer control over your abs. Practice, practice, practice is teh only way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashi View Post
    Can anyone explain how to do belly rolls? I have Delilah's Volume 3 DVD and she does explain it some, but I'm still having trouble getting it. One of the Fat Chance DVDs also explains it some, but I still can't get it. Does anyone have any suggestions for some preparatory exercises? Is it a circle or a figure 8 or just and roll vertically up and down the abdominals?
    There are bands of muscle that run horizontal across your belly. You've probably heard those muscles referred to as a 6-pack. You want to tense each of those bands independently. Run an ice cube down your stomach and you will notice your muscles contracting. That shows you how it feels to do an undulation. Someone suggested laying on your back, which I also recommend. You want to tense the muscles from the top to the bottom. Tense, then release, each band of muscles from the top to the bottom of your stomach. My teacher had me roll a wooden baseball bat down my stomach, which worked great. You can also roll water down your stomach in the bath. And yes, like the other poster said, lots and lots of practice.

Post Thanks / Like

So the reason the belly moves are easier to learn laying down is because you aren't also using the muscles to stand, right? Just want to check my theory!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Belly Rolls

Thanks to everyone who has answered the how to do bellyrolls. As a yoga teacher and bellydancer, I just want to make sure I'm understanding the mechanics of the belly roll. So, is it an undulation up and down the abdominus rectus? Or is it a figure 8, where the upper abs are pushed out and the lower abs contracted in and then reversed, the lower abs pushed out and the upper abs contracted in (this is one way I've heard to practice)? Or finally, am I pushing the rectus out form the lower abs to the upper and then contracting back down from the upper abs to the lower, sort of making a circle. I have an analytical brain and really need to know the mechanics of the move so that I clear on what I'm working to get at. So, anyone out there with the left analytical brain can explain the move in detail? I am very proficient at doing the forward and reverse undulations and can also engage my abs with the undulation. I can also do belly flutters, so I am in touch with the ab muscles. Just want to make sure what I am doing with the belly rolls. Thanks.
    Last edited by Shashi; 07-07-2009 at 02:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who has answered the how to do bellyrolls. As a yoga teacher and bellydancer, I just want to make sure I'm understanding the mechanics of the belly roll. So, is it an undulation up and down the abdominus rectus? Or is it a figure 8, where the upper abs are pushed out and the lower abs contracted in and then reversed, the lower abs pushed out and the upper abs contracted in (this is one way I've heard to practice)? Or finally, am I pushing the rectus out form the lower abs to the upper and then contracting back down from the upper abs to the lower, sort of making a circle. I have an analytical brain and really need to know the mechanics of the move so that I clear on what I'm working to get at. So, anyone out there with the left analytical brain can explain the move in detail? I am very proficient at doing the forward and reverse undulations and can also engage my abs with the undulation. I can also do belly flutters, so I am in touch with the ab muscles. Just want to make sure what I am doing with the belly rolls. Thanks.
    It is an undulation, not pushing out anything or a figure 8. Well, unless you are doing Turkish, then pretty much anything goes. lol If you are doing Classical Egyptian, it is a top to bottom undulation. Basically contracting and releasing the rectus muscles. Hope that is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    So the reason the belly moves are easier to learn laying down is because you aren't also using the muscles to stand, right? Just want to check my theory!
    I don't know? But that makes a lot of sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BellyRolls

Hi Mara2,
    So, basically what is happening with the belly roll is the same as the forward and the reverse undulation but just with the belly. Also, the sideways bellyroll is a sideways undulation. Correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mara2,
    So, basically what is happening with the belly roll is the same as the forward and the reverse undulation but just with the belly. Also, the sideways bellyroll is a sideways undulation. Correct?
    Yes, it is just a belly muscles undulation, not using the back to do the motion. Just the stomach muscles. I don't know about using side muscles, as I was not taught that way.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, a belly roll is independent of an undulation. I reserve the word "undulation" for the torso when it is the vertebrae doing the move. A belly roll is just the ab muscles - no spine. And yes, it involves both pushing past neutral and pulling in from neutral. The exact order depends on the effect you want to achieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast