Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duvet View Post
    I admit I had similar thoughts as I wrote the post. The same thing applies to linedancing, salsa, yoga, singing, and in fact many other leisure pursuits (which may or may not damage your health).
    True - but most Zumba is fast and furious which increases the chance of injury - especially since I was told by someone who had attended the day long workshop and got her certification that they are not allowed to ruin the "party atmosphere". No boring corrections or too much time showing technique - people are there to have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duvet View Post
    My dislike of zumba is that it advertises its teachers as certificated, and so students may have the idea of a fully qualified fitness and dance instructor taking the class, and it can also lead some teachers into thinking they know more than they actually do.
    That's what annoys me - get a certificate and you're Qualified. Hmmm.... what for? Use the name and the music and the vibe... and?

I've been tempted to try a class (but haven't got round to it yet ), solely as a sweaty flail around, not to learn anything. It's the music and dance vibe that's the draw for me. Most other exercise classes I've been to have music I hate. Seriously, I'm slogging away and you are making it worse by assaulting my ears? I don't know what they use in the aerobiking one at our leisure centre, but I'd want to kill things after an hour of that.

Good point about being able to get as sweaty at a nightclub or rave, but wild horses couldn't drag me to either!

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy my Zumba cos I love LaTIN MUSIC. Strangely I get out of breath walking fast but I can exercise at full tilt and sing as well if there is decent music. but I'm very glad that I know already what it is safe for me to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Mixing styles I have no problem with and that because is any dance movement pure ?

Who knows, perhaps all dances are fusions unless a dance comes from a remote part of the world where no one goes or has ever gone.

But Zumba is what it is as is ATS and Egyptian dance, and of the later as it is performed within the country is it true to it's roots in most cases ? I say this as much of what I have seen video wise via such places as Youtube and others seems to me as having influences from elsewhere.

As humans we evolve, so why not what we do, must we stay in the past or can we take on new ideas and enjoy what there is to be enjoyed ?

A friend I introduced to belly dance via a Fat Chance ATS class now does Rumba and as a result she has lost weight, gained fitness and has a whole new outlook on life.

We are what we are, we choose to pursue what has interest to us.

Oh and BTW SME is a p.i.t.a, many videos posted on this website are not viewable to the UK due to SME.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Zumba instructor here who really capitalizes the capoeira-like moves - and I have to shake my head - but the style names are what drives people into the classroom, so I laugh my educated booty off, follow the instructor and use the right technique when it comes to the various techniques they try to use in class.

If they are doing BD moves, then do them correctly when you do Zumba, thats what I do when they incorporate capoeira and samba into Zumba. Why risk picking up a bad habit?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234