Zumba and Belly Dance?

Starmouth

I go to zumba classes regularly and although I love it (or I wouldn't keep going) I would really hope no one goes there hoping to learn to dance! I have done a fair amount of latin dancing too, and zumba bears almost no relations to any form of dance at all. Its more like hilarious flailing around to work up a good sweat in your lunch hour.

That said, the first time the instructor produced the coin belts and put on Shakira, I did do a little cry inside. But it was only a small cry.

Sirène

I don't know what gave me bigger giggles, the videos or some of the comments :lol:

Middle Eastern dancers please stop getting your coin belts in knots over PC terminology - it's an exercise class, NOT a dance class!

touché ;)

I Wanted to do some classic Zumba Belly dance moves

I believe classic + Zumba + belly dance = oxymoron :lol:

The prize goes to the Italian video though. It was beyond special. :yay::yay::yay:

Yorkshire Lass

I go to zumba classes regularly and although I love it (or I wouldn't keep going) I would really hope no one goes there hoping to learn to dance! I have done a fair amount of latin dancing too, and zumba bears almost no relations to any form of dance at all. Its more like hilarious flailing around to work up a good sweat in your lunch hour.

Definitely agree with you about flailing around. I like zumba and I do it to burn calories and get my heart going. I don't think anyone goes to learn to dance or to become a bellydancer, it's an exercise routine. It's just like body combat or aerobics but with better music. :D At my gym we have one teacher who teaches salsa and does lambada and another who's essentially the step instructor and neither of them can do the "bellydance inspired" moves very well. Doesn't stop it from being fun though.

I don't confuse it with my bellydance classes which are hard work and make me think and feel and focus.

I would agree that some of the videos on this thread are very funny.

astro_girl

This post has me chuckling because whether you're doing Zumba, Pachanga, whatever-you-call-it-Latin-American-aerobic-workout, they ALL try to incorporate belly dancing moves...or some semblance of them. I think there's definitely cross-over, though I blame Shakira for this apparent trend, LOL!!!

Duvet

I'm going to rant - look away now if you like, or teach Zumba.
:mad:
IMO Zumba (by which I mean the current craze in 'exercise' classes, and NOT the dances that lie behind the name) is def not a dance class. I don't even think its really an exercise class. It just seems to be frenzied movements with the focus on fun. Nothing wrong in that, but the classes I went to had no awareness of posture, safety or tuition - just follow the person up front. If you can't keep up, or understand the move, or need to lie down after five minutes - hey! its just fun, and getting sweaty and breathless is good for you!! Achy limbs and twinging back? - hey, you've just had a manic hour of Zumba, so laugh it off! The only person really laughing is whoever thought of it, all the way to the bank. The only person breathless is me, on finding that you can become an instructor in one weekend, with no training in physiology, teaching skills, or health and safety!
If you want to exercise in company with music, go to a reputable gym and do aerobics. At least the instructors need proper qualifications to teach that.
If you want to learn to dance, go to a proper dance class and learn to appreciate it, and yourself.
If you still want the frenzied sweat, go to a nightclub or rave - there's little difference.
If you really, really need to Zumba, pay for the qualification, and then you can earn money from it with no more understanding then you had before.
Bellydance Zumba?? AAAArrghh! The label means nothing other than a vague connection to some hip movements and an even vaguer sexy image. Anything to get more punters. And some bellydance teachers make it worse by teaching Zumba themselves and then allowing their students to confuse the two!!

I know there are Zumba teachers out there who are responsible teachers, who try to teach the class the proper way of moving, and have a safety conscious awareness and the best interest of their students in mind. But they do not seem to be the majority (at least not in my area), and those attitudes come from their own personal background or expectation, and not from the Zumba qualification.
:mad:
Rant over.

Emmab81

I love debates, they give me an opportunity to examine my own beliefs. I went to a 2 day workshop series over the weekend with Paulette Rees Dennis (fabulous) and teacher training was discussed. One of the participants said that Paulettes was better than (let's say) teacher x because u have to demonstrate competency to pass paulette's where as the other it is pay your money and u r certified. This made me think - one of my main problems with zumba was any Jo blow off the street can b a zumba instructor - pay your money, turn up and hey presto u r certified! So thinking about it how is belly dance different? Ballet has governing bodies and century old training, what do we have? Literally anyone can start teaching belly dance no certification required! And I have been to a few classes where the instructor I am sure learnt all her moves from a shakira clip. Not really sure where I am going with this train of thought but as I said debates make me examine my thinking and opinions and I know a few people expressed similar "certificate for sale" beliefs about zumba so thought I would share :)

Duvet

- one of my main problems with zumba was any Jo blow off the street can b a zumba instructor - pay your money, turn up and hey presto u r certified! So thinking about it how is belly dance different? Ballet has governing bodies and century old training, what do we have? Literally anyone can start teaching belly dance no certification required! And I have been to a few classes where the instructor I am sure learnt all her moves from a shakira clip.

I admit I had similar thoughts as I wrote the post. The same thing applies to linedancing, salsa, yoga, singing, and in fact many other leisure pursuits (which may or may not damage your health). :confused:

But then many of those teachers don't claim to be certified, and they emphasise their experience, and often have a long-term word of mouth reputation.

My dislike of zumba is that it advertises its teachers as certificated, and so students may have the idea of a fully qualified fitness and dance instructor taking the class, and it can also lead some teachers into thinking they know more than they actually do. I have a similar reticence over some of the New Age / alternative healing practices available. And I'm not criticising the actual regimes or aims, just the ease with which poorly trained individuals can set themselves up as qualified, and do more damage than good.

But hey, you pick your choices and take your chances, and many people do get a real buzz out of zumba. I would just advise care and common sense whilst flinging yourselves about the room.;)

Kashmir

I admit I had similar thoughts as I wrote the post. The same thing applies to linedancing, salsa, yoga, singing, and in fact many other leisure pursuits (which may or may not damage your health). :confused:
True - but most Zumba is fast and furious which increases the chance of injury - especially since I was told by someone who had attended the day long workshop and got her certification that they are not allowed to ruin the "party atmosphere". No boring corrections or too much time showing technique - people are there to have fun! :rolleyes:

Aniseteph

My dislike of zumba is that it advertises its teachers as certificated, and so students may have the idea of a fully qualified fitness and dance instructor taking the class, and it can also lead some teachers into thinking they know more than they actually do.

That's what annoys me - get a certificate and you're Qualified. Hmmm.... what for? Use the name and the music and the vibe... and?

I've been tempted to try a class (but haven't got round to it yet :rolleyes:), solely as a sweaty flail around, not to learn anything. It's the music and dance vibe that's the draw for me. Most other exercise classes I've been to have music I hate. Seriously, I'm slogging away and you are making it worse by assaulting my ears? I don't know what they use in the aerobiking one at our leisure centre, but I'd want to kill things after an hour of that.

Good point about being able to get as sweaty at a nightclub or rave, but wild horses couldn't drag me to either!

jenc

I really enjoy my Zumba cos I love LaTIN MUSIC. Strangely I get out of breath walking fast but I can exercise at full tilt and sing as well if there is decent music. but I'm very glad that I know already what it is safe for me to do.

khanjar

Mixing styles I have no problem with and that because is any dance movement pure ?

Who knows, perhaps all dances are fusions unless a dance comes from a remote part of the world where no one goes or has ever gone.

But Zumba is what it is as is ATS and Egyptian dance, and of the later as it is performed within the country is it true to it's roots in most cases ? I say this as much of what I have seen video wise via such places as Youtube and others seems to me as having influences from elsewhere.

As humans we evolve, so why not what we do, must we stay in the past or can we take on new ideas and enjoy what there is to be enjoyed ?

A friend I introduced to belly dance via a Fat Chance ATS class now does Rumba and as a result she has lost weight, gained fitness and has a whole new outlook on life.

We are what we are, we choose to pursue what has interest to us.

Oh and BTW SME is a p.i.t.a, many videos posted on this website are not viewable to the UK due to SME.

duskshade

I have a Zumba instructor here who really capitalizes the capoeira-like moves - and I have to shake my head - but the style names are what drives people into the classroom, so I laugh my educated booty off, follow the instructor and use the right technique when it comes to the various techniques they try to use in class.

If they are doing BD moves, then do them correctly when you do Zumba, thats what I do when they incorporate capoeira and samba into Zumba. Why risk picking up a bad habit?