What are those movement?

chi

Hi there:) ,

I just watched a clip from YouTube, and wanna ask about the techniques and the names for some movement in it.

Here’s the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFY-HDXZM4E

1. At the time 0:51-0:53, the hip movement, how to make it sharp? And the knees are bent? With flat feet?
2. At the time 1:07-1:10, the turning, what’s the key technique for it? How to prevent dizziness? I heard someone said that eyes should focus on a fixed point? Isn’t it? But it doesn’t work for me.
3. At the time 2:35-2:41, the hip movement, is it same as the point 1 movement?
4. At the time 2:58-3:00, the tummy movement, is it a horizontal circular movement or vertical? Or both?

What do think about this dancer? Is she called “Didem”? I like her figure and dance style. Could anyone tells me something about her? Is she dancing in original Turkish style or…?

Sorry, it seems I have a lot of questions (some maybe stupid:D ).

Thank you! Cheer:) ~

Chi

sedoniaraqs

HI Chi, welcome to the forum. I will try to answer your questions.

1. These hip movements are generated with the leg and waist muscles, but are made sharp by engaging the glute muscle of the hip that is up. They can be done with flat feet or on demi pointe, or as the case with this dancer, in high heels. If you are learning start with flat feet.

2. The dancer is spotting during these turns -- keeping her head at a fixed point for as long as possible as the body turns, then turning her head quickly to fix on the same spot again. Spinning takes loads of practice. Start slow and with few turns, and build up to more and faster turns. After several fast turns, if you turn once in the opposite direction you can alleviate most of the dizziness.

3. This movement is a downward figure 8, also called a maya in the United States. It is really a combination of the kind of movement you saw in #1 and a hip slide, to create the hip sliding out, dropping down, pulling in, and repeating on the other side. Both legs must be slightly bent, then one leg bends more as that hip drops. Practice with flat feet and be sure you do not sway your lower back and stick your bum out.

4. I call this a tilting hip circle. It is also called an omi, and umi, or Raqia Hassan (Egyptian teacher) calls it an African circle. I break it down to my class as a combination of the hip movement used in #1 plus a slight tucking and relaxing of the pelvis. So the right hip goes up, pelvis tucks, left hip goes up, pelvis relaxes, etc. Connect these 4 dots and you have the circle. It is a very small and precise movement and moves within the sphere of the body, not out of it.

You really need a good instructor to show you how to do these movements correctly without injuring your back or picking up bad habits that you will have to unlearn later. Do you have a teacher? If not tell us where you are in the world and maybe we can refer you to one.

I liked the dancer. I am not an expert on Turkish oriental so I can't comment on how well she represents the style but she was fun to watch. However, she was dancing to Egyptian music, a famous song called Alf Leyla Wa Leyla. Not Turkish music.

Hope this helps,

Sedonia

I just watched a clip from YouTube, and wanna ask about the techniques and the names for some movement in it.

Here’s the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFY-HDXZM4E

1. At the time 0:51-0:53, the hip movement, how to make it sharp? And the knees are bent? With flat feet?
2. At the time 1:07-1:10, the turning, what’s the key technique for it? How to prevent dizziness? I heard someone said that eyes should focus on a fixed point? Isn’t it? But it doesn’t work for me.
4. At the time 2:58-3:00, the tummy movement, is it a horizontal circular movement or vertical? Or both?

What do think about this dancer? Is she called “Didem”? I like her figure and dance style. Could anyone tells me something about her? Is she dancing in original Turkish style or…?

Sorry, it seems I have a lot of questions (some maybe stupid:D ).

Thank you! Cheer:) ~

Chi

Gia al Qamar

Chi

Hi! Let's see if I can assist!
1. This movement is called 'down hips' in my neck of the woods...yes...feet are flat, knees very bent, the sharpness comes from contracting the glutes as you drop the hips. Make SURE to keep your tailbone pointed down and your rib cage lifted!
2. She is doing 'spot' turns and then a few 'barrel rolls', which are also done like spot turns. You have to learn to 'spot' and you have to practice it...it's not working for you because you don't have enough experience doing them...practice and ASK YOUR TEACHER to show you drills!!!
3. No...not the same movement...but similar! The hip movement in #1 was a kind of hip drop where the hips are under the shoulders and dropping straight down. The movement the dancer is creating at this point in the video is a downward figure 8, in which you create a circle with your hips...one on the right, one on the left, connecting them in the middle. You can do this on flat feet or the balls of your feet.
4. I'm not seeing 'tummy movement' at all, but a small hip circle called an "ummi" or "ommi" that's like a 'regular' small hip circle, but the abs are pulled in to the front (tipping the pelvis up) rather than circling the hips around the core.
I hope this helps!
Gia

chryssanthi sahar

Hello Chi.

Didem is one of the most famous Turkish belly dancers nowadays. What she danced was a modern Turkish interpretation (actually a mix of Turkish, Lebanese, Egyptian and American Cabaret style:D ) of the classical Egyptian song Alf Leyla Wa Leyla (as Sidonia already mentioned). And I must say, although I am a purist of the Egyptian style when it comes to classical Egyptian dance music, I really enjoyed Didem's interpretation:) She war expressing the music very well and very accurately, although in a different way than an Egyptian dancer would have done. I was also amazed about how well those Turkish musicians on the video performed this very Egyptian song:eek: Altogether a great dancing and music performance. Now I know who my favorite Turkish belly dancer is;)

Kiraze

I was also amazed about how well those Turkish musicians on the video performed this very Egyptian song:eek: Altogether a great dancing and music performance. Now I know who my favorite Turkish belly dancer is;)
heh, the music came from tape so no need to credit musicians of playing well :D (they played when she came in but stopped when Alf leyla we leyla started)

I am still not too impressed by Didem although in this clip she is Ok and she looks prettier and more mature with this shorter and darker hair. This far I still prefer Birgül, Oya Man, Tanyeli and even Asena but anyway I really would like to see Didem dancing live as in TV (or YouTube) you really cannot see all the nuances of dancing - I really like her dancing Roman Havasi though (and then she has also live music even at Ibo Show and musicians are great at least playing Turkish music ;) )

chryssanthi sahar

heh, the music came from tape so no need to credit musicians of playing well :D (they played when she came in but stopped when Alf leyla we leyla started)

Really? I'm dissapointed now:( I found it strange anyway, because the suppose to be Arabian music, that I have heard fromTurkish musicians 'till now, was rather a raping than playing of the music:p

chi

Thanks

:) Thank you for all ladies who did give me reply, they are really useful! <My PC had some problems during the previous weeks.> I have tried to do those movemnets. HAHA....:p After viewing you ladies' answers, I did much more better (though I don't think that I did them very good, HAHA!!!).

Once again, thank you!!:)