Certification & Contests gilded serpent article miles C.

Aniseteph

They've been thrashing this one out on Bhuz. Not quite sure what it's about actually - "it is a bad thing to end up with a crappy DVD on the market", "certification can be dodgy/meaningless". Well, duh!

:think: Or might it just be a publicity puff for those BDSS teen competitions? Yay, catch 'em while they're young... (how does that work actually, when a 13-19 year old wins a years worth of lessons from a teacher who is touring or on the other side of the world?)

Meh, so what, BDSS are about as interesting to me as I am to them.

Kharis

They've been thrashing this one out on Bhuz. Not quite sure what it's about actually - "it is a bad thing to end up with a crappy DVD on the market", "certification can be dodgy/meaningless". Well, duh!

:think: Or might it just be a publicity puff for those BDSS teen competitions? Yay, catch 'em while they're young... (how does that work actually, when a 13-19 year old wins a years worth of lessons from a teacher who is touring or on the other side of the world?)

Meh, so what, BDSS are about as interesting to me as I am to them.

Yeah, I've been on this thread. I have a low opinion of the BDSS (blast my hide!). I think they are overrated and overblown by MC's publicity and marketing. He gets 'em young coz young means malleable and pliant and star struck. Whatever. There are so many wonderful dancers outside of the BDSS who don't get the recognition and I get sick of hearing about how wonderul they are all are. I think Sonia's boring...there...I've said it!

Kharis

But in the end for me it’s “seeing is believing”! It is not the credits on your resume; it is what you deliver on stage, or at an audition, or in a workshop that counts. If you can’t pull it off there, fifty pages of credits are meaningless.

How true... Shame he doesn't seem to apply that philosophy in all aspects of BDSS. And let's face it, his perception of what is visual and good standards may be different from ours. He's a bloke with an eye for nubile dancers. I don't see any size 14 and over 40 shit hot dancers in the line up.

Last edited:

Kashmir

Yep, can't have dancers judging dancers - they may actually look at the quality of dance. Let's carry that on - Electrican's exams marked by Fabric Artists (they need light), Architecture Competitions judged the Homeless, Lawyer Professionals by convicted felons etc.

lizaj

Yep, can't have dancers judging dancers - they may actually look at the quality of dance. Let's carry that on - Electrican's exams marked by Fabric Artists (they need light), Architecture Competitions judged the Homeless, Lawyer Professionals by convicted felons etc.

Well we do have an expert dance choreographer replaced as a dance performance judge by a one-time competition winner here in the uK:rolleyes:

Amulya

I found the comment on the 'crappy DVDs' stupid. So in order to become someone at the BDSS you got to be totally unknown and secretive about your dancing? But what about all the other dance opportunities you'd miss out on because of that?

Anyway, some of the 'crappy DVDs' I own have really good dancers on them!

Lydia

ok have to tell you this...some years ago i met a dancer in Dubai...i am not gonna say her name no need ...beside that she she is well known now ...anyhow i got to know her treu my musicians they hade some trouble with her and asked me to help out my musicians worked at that time in nightclubs after my shows early in the evening...the problem was that this dancer hade no idea about the music what music to entre the stage with and would very happely start the show with Saidy...her tecnics brrrrrrrrr...things like that....anyway she was also in tears because she said she did not expect the work to be like that and just wanted to go back home she was not happy at all...anyhow she hade a contract so must make the best of it ...i was helping her out and was teaching her how and what.to make her show better and my musicians aswell helping her out...we became friends...then after the contract was done she traveled back home....i still keep in touch some times she do,s aswell....now surprise came to me when i was reading in her website short after that ,that she was the winner of ,,bellydancer of the universe title ...my mouth just dropped!!!!!what universe are they talking about here????? so for me competitions and things like that dont ad anything to a dancer ... honestly she was a very nice person and all but?????

Aniseteph

Anyway, some of the 'crappy DVDs' I own have really good dancers on them!

Good point. Dancers might be irritated by crappy production values but if it's a good dancer I definitely wouldn't be put off going to a live performance or a workshop because of it.

It all just smacks of the BDSS being more about making "superstars" than about belly dance.