Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spam

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spam

This website seems to be getting hit with a lot of spam lately, is there a reason for this ?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is just the usual, we seem to have bouts of spam. The spammers are banned when we delete the spam. Some are getting more cunning and try to disguise their spam with some weird comment in a thread. But they get sussed out and they are gone!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

The interesting thing is, this latest one, the link to some software outlet, I searched the name and the search revealed no documents according to google, so I must assume the link is malicious. The attaching of something which might attract our users to the post, in this case embroidery, is I feel a cynical attempt to get people to allow rubbish or problems onto their puter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    The interesting thing is, this latest one, the link to some software outlet, I searched the name and the search revealed no documents according to google, so I must assume the link is malicious. The attaching of something which might attract our users to the post, in this case embroidery, is I feel a cynical attempt to get people to allow rubbish or problems onto their puter.
    Which one is that? Have you sent a report post (left hand side below users name-the triangle with an i in it)
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the amount of spam you see is more related to whether a mod is online, spots it, bans them quick and then whether the relevant mods are about to delete the stuff, than there actually being more spam. Maybe summer (in my hemisphere) means more mods are on hol so you see more?

But I'm with Mosaic on the flagging recommendation. Then the mod is alerted straight away rather than needing to wait till they are online.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    This website seems to be getting hit with a lot of spam lately, is there a reason for this ?
    Yes..there are a lot of stupid people about....it is seasonal I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems typical for spammers to post multiple messages in mulitple threads. I'll report the spammer the first thread I see it on, but if I then discover the spam in other threads I don't report it. Why? Because the forum settings enforce a time limit between submitting reports, and I frankly don't want to be bothered waiting for the time limit to expire to allow me to submit another.

I find it frustrating when I see that the person has already been banned but the spam is still there. Makes me wonder if it's worth even bothering re-reporting it in hopes that a moderator with deletion privileges on that thread will come remove it.

Are more moderators needed, to purge the spam more quickly? Or, should existing moderators be empowered to delete spam from more than one forum section?

Post Thanks / Like

The report of spam goes to all mods, so you really only need to report it once. Most forums have 2 mods each and most of the time the spam is deleted within 12 hours. Salome can delete from any forum, so if mods are unavailable, she would get rid of any offenders.

I'm not sure if the forum can be set to allow mods to just delete spam from any forum. Salome would be able to answer that. Maybe it would be messy doing that.
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the report only went to mods of that board, so it is worth reporting them all (leaving aside the time delay thing) as then it calls the mods to the board to delete it, rather than waiting till they naturally log in.

I also report old ones as then I am guessing they have been missed somehow.

In some ways it's a shame people can't see all the spam that is deleted (obviously not in other ways ) as there is alot people never see that is deleted really fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    I thought the report only went to mods of that board, so it is worth reporting them all (leaving aside the time delay thing) as then it calls the mods to the board to delete it, rather than waiting till they naturally log in.

I also report old ones as then I am guessing they have been missed somehow.

In some ways it's a shame people can't see all the spam that is deleted (obviously not in other ways ) as there is alot people never see that is deleted really fast.
    I am pretty sure I have received reported spam that pertains to other forums... maybe I am confuzzled

~Mosaic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast