Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spam

Post Thanks / Like

It's very sad, all this advanced technology at our finger tips, such a momentous opportunity for world communication and learning, the likes that has never been seen before, and there are dimwits out there that communicate by spamming websites, the litterbugs of cyberspace. Very very sad, what a pathetic waste of technology and more importantly energy in the form of electricity.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry all. Today was awful, spamwise . We try to clear it, but sometimes they are just too fast or hit when we are not online. There are some features to stop them but I am not sure if it's not quite working yet or if the spammers get around it...
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, most spammers don't read the rules.

Here are some ideas (I don't know if they are possible to execute, though...):
    • We have to wait at least 30 s between new searches and 60 s between reporting each spam post, and I'm sure there is a time limit for posting as well. Could this time limit be expanded and the time limit for reporting posts be decreased?
    • Limit number of posts within a certain time interval.
    • Disallow posts of similar content to be posted within a time interval from the same user (included posting similar posts in different subforums). This could also help us avoid double posts from serious members who happen to post the same post twice by accident.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Do the administrators not have the ability to ban IPs? If the spam comes from a consistent source, that's the best way to cure it. Forum software can usually be made to force a "cool down", where a user can't post for X amount of time after ID creation. This gives mods a chance to look at the new users and remove offenders before they post. The other option is to update the forum requirements for creating an ID that makes use of captcha. This would help if they're bots.

I admin several websites and it's a constant battle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123