Spam

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I think it is just the usual, we seem to have bouts of spam. The spammers are banned when we delete the spam. Some are getting more cunning and try to disguise their spam with some weird comment in a thread. But they get sussed out and they are gone!:D
~Mosaic

khanjar

The interesting thing is, this latest one, the link to some software outlet, I searched the name and the search revealed no documents according to google, so I must assume the link is malicious. The attaching of something which might attract our users to the post, in this case embroidery, is I feel a cynical attempt to get people to allow rubbish or problems onto their puter.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
The interesting thing is, this latest one, the link to some software outlet, I searched the name and the search revealed no documents according to google, so I must assume the link is malicious. The attaching of something which might attract our users to the post, in this case embroidery, is I feel a cynical attempt to get people to allow rubbish or problems onto their puter.

Which one is that? Have you sent a report post (left hand side below users name-the triangle with an i in it)
~Mosaic

karena

Yes the amount of spam you see is more related to whether a mod is online, spots it, bans them quick and then whether the relevant mods are about to delete the stuff, than there actually being more spam. Maybe summer (in my hemisphere) means more mods are on hol so you see more?

But I'm with Mosaic on the flagging recommendation. Then the mod is alerted straight away rather than needing to wait till they are online.

shiradotnet

It seems typical for spammers to post multiple messages in mulitple threads. I'll report the spammer the first thread I see it on, but if I then discover the spam in other threads I don't report it. Why? Because the forum settings enforce a time limit between submitting reports, and I frankly don't want to be bothered waiting for the time limit to expire to allow me to submit another.

I find it frustrating when I see that the person has already been banned but the spam is still there. Makes me wonder if it's worth even bothering re-reporting it in hopes that a moderator with deletion privileges on that thread will come remove it.

Are more moderators needed, to purge the spam more quickly? Or, should existing moderators be empowered to delete spam from more than one forum section?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
The report of spam goes to all mods, so you really only need to report it once. Most forums have 2 mods each and most of the time the spam is deleted within 12 hours. Salome can delete from any forum, so if mods are unavailable, she would get rid of any offenders.

I'm not sure if the forum can be set to allow mods to just delete spam from any forum. Salome would be able to answer that. Maybe it would be messy doing that.
~Mosaic

karena

I thought the report only went to mods of that board, so it is worth reporting them all (leaving aside the time delay thing) as then it calls the mods to the board to delete it, rather than waiting till they naturally log in.

I also report old ones as then I am guessing they have been missed somehow.

In some ways it's a shame people can't see all the spam that is deleted (obviously not in other ways :lol:) as there is alot people never see that is deleted really fast.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I thought the report only went to mods of that board, so it is worth reporting them all (leaving aside the time delay thing) as then it calls the mods to the board to delete it, rather than waiting till they naturally log in.

I also report old ones as then I am guessing they have been missed somehow.

In some ways it's a shame people can't see all the spam that is deleted (obviously not in other ways :lol:) as there is alot people never see that is deleted really fast.

I am pretty sure I have received reported spam that pertains to other forums... maybe I am confuzzled:confused:

~Mosaic

karena

Are you thinking of member board messages? They go to everyone.

As in if you report a visitor message, not that we get all the messages themselves, just any reports like if someone complains their visitor board is being spammed.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Are you thinking of member board messages? They go to everyone.

As in if you report a visitor message, not that we get all the messages themselves, just any reports like if someone complains their visitor board is being spammed.

Must be what I am thinking of:D
~Mosaic

Harry

I've said it before on other thread(s):

I think our volunteer moderators do a fabulous job. I my line of work (I'm a programmer/analyst), it's hard to find such dedication, even if there is a paycheck involved. So, thanks to all our moderators. :clap::):clap::):clap::):clap:

alosha

As far as the spam that slips through the cracks, we need to remember that our moderators are human, and have lives outside of the forum.

And, some spam is funny, you have to admit!

And here's a big ol virtual slice of cranberry cheesecake for all our mods! Don't like cheesecake? I'll make you something else! :lol:

khanjar

I was just wondering about the spam issue, seeing as I have just reported two seperate spammers, I don't see this kind of stuff on other forums I visit, only here. Is it this place is being specifically targeted or is it likely other websites have different mechanisms in place to rid the stuff before it hits.

I know one site I visit, type a descriptive rude slang word, and it comes out on the other side as something else that sounds like the word, but is spelled completely different and there means something else.

Often I see with the spammers that hit this place, they post a link that is all, perhaps something could be done where if it is just a link that is posted, then it can be assumed to be spam and there disallowed, or deleted.

I think forum members who post links, often accompany the link with a few words, as I have not seen just links posted from any bona fide member, always there is something accompanying the link, even if it is just a smiley.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Must be spam week festival:D

The latest lot seems to be coming from the same person/people. With all the letter-number names it can seem like lots of different people, but it is often not. Obviously theses people have nothing better to do with their time.
~Mosaic