Male ATS dancers

PracticalDancer

Steven Eggers: steveneggers.com

He does the Rachel-Brice style ooey, gooey, slow, and slinky Tribal, and he's *very* good at it. I'm in awe...

Zorba, I hold you in the highest respect, but I have to say that Steven and Rachel are Tribal fusion dancers, not Tribal dancers. They dance to very different music, use different moves and different costuming.

To me, it is the same distinctions one can draw between Egyptian and American Cabaret. Or, Egyptian and any type of Fusion.

(FWIW, it's taking me a little courage to say this, because of my respect for you and because I am only a new student to both Tribal and Tribal fusion styles.)

Regards,

Anala

khanjar

H'mmmm, dark cabaret, good, get the darkness out, it has a beauty of it's own and is part of the light.

maria_harlequin

I don't think Rachel even calls herself tribal fusion. Last I heard, it was "dark cabaret" or something like that.

I believe it was "burly"?

Just to comment, I actually love her new stuff compared to what she was doing back when she first started touring with the Superstars! IT's so much more fun to watch and she doesn't have to keep her face void of emotions.

maria_harlequin

Zorba, I hold you in the highest respect, but I have to say that Steven and Rachel are Tribal fusion dancers, not Tribal dancers. They dance to very different music, use different moves and different costuming.

To me, it is the same distinctions one can draw between Egyptian and American Cabaret. Or, Egyptian and any type of Fusion.

(FWIW, it's taking me a little courage to say this, because of my respect for you and because I am only a new student to both Tribal and Tribal fusion styles.)

Regards,

Anala

You're absolutely right :)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"

Regards,

Anala

You could be entirely correct - I'm not "up on" my Tribal definitions - partly because they're so fluid and ever changing/evolving!

Goddess Mother! - never be afraid to contradict me, I'm no know-it-all or authority of ANY kind; I'm just a junior level dancer with a big mouth and a website! :lol: I'm always looking for an education.

TribalDancer

Carolena normally doesn't teach men - apparently because she had a bad experience with one - which contributes to the dearth of male ATS dancers in the strictest sense of the ATS definition. I however, was able to take a workshop with Carolena once upon a time - and it was quite a good workshop!

That is a bit of an oversimplifcation. She has had more than one issue with men in the classroom, not just one and then *sweep* all men are banned. You should ask her about it sometime, but suffice to say that in her experiences, the men who chose to come to her classes often changed the energy in the room with their presence, which was undesirable. My understanding was that it then would have become a sort of debate as to which men could come and which couldn't, which wasn't something she wanted to have to weigh on a case-by-case, so she just made a sweeping rule to simplify.

But again, you should ask her. She is very open to respectful questions! And she does allow men in workshops, as you already know. Just not regular weekly students in the studio.

Valeria

Zack, ATS belly dancer from Texas

Once I have come across a video, on Youtube, of Zack a male ATS belly dancer from Texas. He seemed a pretty good dancer.

Chandra

I love a good male belly dancer!

I do, I do!
I so enjoy watching Valizan or Jim Boz.
As well as my enchanting friend Harish (who actually performs as a woman)

BUT...
I prefer to see a strong presence (no matter what the dancer's sexual orientation may be). Not being sexist or anything - and don't want to offend anyone, :rolleyes: but I really don't enjoy the dance when it looks all girlish & flaming. Men's bodies DO move differently than ours.

Farasha Hanem

Alosha, in answer to your question, yes, there are a few Tribal fusion male dancers (haven't run into any ATS male dancers on YouTube yet). A few of the names are Vince (I think he's a beginner), Steven Eggar, another one whose name I don't remember, and Frank from Colorado. In my opinion, Frank is the best I've seen so far, although some of the others I've named are also good. :)

YouTube - Frank - Tribal Fusion

Hi again, Tera-byte. :) Just to let you know, the OP who asked the question is female, but since I'm getting ready for work and don't have time to read the whole topic yet, maybe you raad something I've missed. Have a nice day---gotta go sell those TV's! :rolleyes: :lol:

Last edited:

Daimona

Alosha, in answer to your question, yes, there are a few Tribal fusion male dancers (haven't run into any ATS male dancers on YouTube yet). A few of the names are Vince (I think he's a beginner), Steven Eggar, another one whose name I don't remember, and Frank from Colorado. In my opinion, Frank is the best I've seen so far, although some of the others I've named are also good. :)

YouTube - Frank - Tribal Fusion

Here are some more male tribal fusionists:

Oscar Flores:
YouTube - Oscar Flores, tribal fusion en Tucuman
YouTube - Fusion Tribal Oscar Flores & Nahir Farag

Steven Eggers:
YouTube - Steven Tribal Fusion Bellydance - Male Tribal Fusion
YouTube - Steven Eggers Tribal Fusion Bellydance - Male Tribal Fusion

Some others:
YouTube - Edward yao--male bellydancer-tribal bellydance & drum solo 2009
YouTube - Zack - Male Tribal Fusion Belly Dancer
YouTube - "Tribal Fusion Belly Dance" - Jonathan Contreras