Post Thanks / Like

Default The Jitters Before Performing

for me, i always get pretty nervous and jittery before a performance. but as soon as i start dancing, every ounce of nervousness that i felt before just disappears instantly

i was wondering if you all feel the same?

i do a bunch of performing arts. i sing, act (theatre), and bellydance. every time it's the same thing. jitters before the performance. then they're gone once i get started

i just find it so interesting that it works like that. i know a few other people who are the same way. it fascinates me.

in my other post, i mentioned dancing in a restaurant unexpectedly cus my instructor asked me too. that was last night. and the same thing happened. so it got me thinking a lot about it. haha

Post Thanks / Like

Default nervous

I am plain nervous and terrified period though I tried to project calm and happiness on the outside. Try to block out my terror, focus on the music.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ways of managing stage fright

I am a bit nervous too, before I start performing and for the first few seconds. However, after I start I gradually relax and actually start enjoying it.
    Before I go on stage, there are a few things I do, such as stretching or breathing deeply.
    This article may be useful:
    Tips on belly dance and dancing. Manage stage fright

Post Thanks / Like

I manage my stage fright by removing my glasses. That, plus the warpaint, makes me drop out of my mundane housewifeyness & become the amazing Darshiva.

I get majorly nervous before a show, which is why I like a fast first number - I can hide the jitters with shimmies. Not being able to see facial features means I don't get so nervous. I guess it's kind of like imagining people in their underwear as a trick for dealing with it.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

manage? I wouldn't quite say manage. Just leave me locked in the loo until about 60 seconds before going on.

I pace about and try to be by myself. I've been in a dressing room where everyone was laughing and joking, all relaxed. That was stressful because they weren't stressed!

I've sung in public and did drama at college. I was just the same then. I think it's easier if you're doing improv. But when it's choreography or scripted, then I feel it most, not wanting to eff up for yourself and the others. Oh yes. That moment just before you walk out (when it's a chor.) when you can't remember what the first move is.

It does seem to split people in to groups, those who like to be by themselves and those who get extra chatty.

Post Thanks / Like

I took a page from Carol Burnett's book. Before I go on stage, I picture my audience out there as sitting on the toilet, straining. This never fails to make me laugh and immediately relaxes me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    I manage my stage fright by removing my glasses. That, plus the warpaint, makes me drop out of my mundane housewifeyness & become the amazing Darshiva.

I get majorly nervous before a show, which is why I like a fast first number - I can hide the jitters with shimmies. Not being able to see facial features means I don't get so nervous. I guess it's kind of like imagining people in their underwear as a trick for dealing with it.
    No kidding? I bought contacts for performing, maybe I should try that and see if it helps.