The Jitters Before Performing

Geekella

for me, i always get pretty nervous and jittery before a performance. but as soon as i start dancing, every ounce of nervousness that i felt before just disappears instantly

i was wondering if you all feel the same?

i do a bunch of performing arts. i sing, act (theatre), and bellydance. every time it's the same thing. jitters before the performance. then they're gone once i get started

i just find it so interesting that it works like that. i know a few other people who are the same way. it fascinates me.

in my other post, i mentioned dancing in a restaurant unexpectedly cus my instructor asked me too. that was last night. and the same thing happened. so it got me thinking a lot about it. haha

dreamkitaro

nervous

I am plain nervous and terrified period though I tried to project calm and happiness on the outside. Try to block out my terror, focus on the music.

Darshiva

I manage my stage fright by removing my glasses. That, plus the warpaint, makes me drop out of my mundane housewifeyness & become the amazing Darshiva.

I get majorly nervous before a show, which is why I like a fast first number - I can hide the jitters with shimmies. Not being able to see facial features means I don't get so nervous. I guess it's kind of like imagining people in their underwear as a trick for dealing with it.

Eve

manage? I wouldn't quite say manage. Just leave me locked in the loo until about 60 seconds before going on. :confused::D

I pace about and try to be by myself. I've been in a dressing room where everyone was laughing and joking, all relaxed. That was stressful because they weren't stressed!:lol:

I've sung in public and did drama at college. I was just the same then. I think it's easier if you're doing improv. But when it's choreography or scripted, then I feel it most, not wanting to eff up for yourself and the others. Oh yes. That moment just before you walk out (when it's a chor.) when you can't remember what the first move is. :confused:

It does seem to split people in to groups, those who like to be by themselves and those who get extra chatty.

Nath

I took a page from Carol Burnett's book. Before I go on stage, I picture my audience out there as sitting on the toilet, straining. This never fails to make me laugh and immediately relaxes me. :lol:

Ariadne

I manage my stage fright by removing my glasses. That, plus the warpaint, makes me drop out of my mundane housewifeyness & become the amazing Darshiva.

I get majorly nervous before a show, which is why I like a fast first number - I can hide the jitters with shimmies. Not being able to see facial features means I don't get so nervous. I guess it's kind of like imagining people in their underwear as a trick for dealing with it.

No kidding? I bought contacts for performing, maybe I should try that and see if it helps.