Thread: Funny (or not)

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Funny (or not)

Hi fellow dancers,
    I just wanted to share a story that happened to me last Friday.
    I was booked to dance at a wedding in the Officers` Club in Cairo. This was my first wedding (usually I was doing hotel shows) but that is not the point. Everyone was enjoying themselves and all in all it was a nice evening.
    There was this little girl, 7 years maximum, who kept on hitting me. First time I thought that maybe I stepped on her foot and thought she wanted to "pay it back" (like kids sometimes do ;p ) but then she kept on following me around and hitting me (hard!!!!) all the time I crossed her path so I finally asked her what her issue was and she crossed her arms on her chest, gave me a really angry look and said "Kedda inti hatkhoshi al-nar" - You`ll go to hell for doing this.
    I know what the general public opinion here in Egypt is, but I did not expect this to happen, on a wedding where people REQUESTED a bellydancer and moreover from such a small girl.
    In that particular moment I really felt like laughing. In some terms it really is a funny situation, however the more I think of it, the weirder the situation seems to me.

Anyone made the same/similar experience? How did you react? (I did not reply anything just kept on dancing, ignoring her)

Post Thanks / Like

Not too similar but a group of us from my dance studio was hired to dance for two Fridays and two weekends where a hotel was having a Middle Eastern Food Festival (it was actually just their buffet and they added some Middle Eastern delicacies to what they were offering). My teacher was dancing up to this family, being incredibly friendly and doing NOTHING vulgar when their little daughter who was around six or seven years old, decided to cover her father's eyes.

Usually kids LOVE belly dancers though. I had three little girls follow me around at the same venue. They couldn't stop watching me and they fell in love with my dress. One of them also asked me, "How do you shake your butt like that?"

I had a desire to tell her that my butt ran on batteries and could shimmy when I press a little button. But I didn't

Post Thanks / Like

What I want to know (okay, this is a Mom reaction) is: where in the hell were the little brat's parents?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    What I want to know (okay, this is a Mom reaction) is: where in the hell were the little brat's parents?
    As I read the OP I was also wondering where the child's parents were as well.

If a child is doing something inappropriate to me or to my children and his/her parents are not there to redirect their child then I have no problem in giving that redirection myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! that is so rude of the child, and obviously something implanted in her mind by parents or other close relatives.

Regardless of what the parents thought they absolutely should have stopped the child. I think I would have said something like asked that the child be removed from the dance floor as it is disconcerting to be hit by a child when you have been employed/invited to dance.

Maybe you should write into future contracts that you reserve the right to stop a performance if people including children are rude/abusive verbally or physically when you are performing, and won't continue until the person is removed from your performance area, but will be paid the full contractural amount once the performance has started?
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Paris, FRANCE or Cairo, EGYPT or Bratislava, SLOVAKIA
    Post Thanks / Like

To answer you question as to where her parents were ... probably seated somewhere in the corner, this was an Egyptian wedding, so lots of chaos and a lot of people going on...I don`t think a lot of people saw that kid hitting me.
    Unfortunately things here in Cairo are different, there is rarely a real contract (unless you are one of those "chosen one" famous bellydancers) for the performer. The company I am working with makes the contract and I in turn hace a contract with the company.

This was more of a funny thing really for me, I did not take it too bad. Fortunately I have ADORABLE managers, they are the nicest guys (there are two of them) you can imagine. They made a fuss when one of the elderly men (well actually his age is not really important in this matter) wanted to tip me in my bra (which he managed to do even though I protested and there were so many people my manager could not get through to me to "save me"). They are really protective and if someone gets rude or inappropriate usually it`s them who sort it out.
    The story with the little girl was more of a laugh for us.

However sometimes the "whatever happens happens" way of life of the Egyptians gets to me - even more so because I am really used to the European way where everything can be written down in a neat contract and where people are ashamed if their kids misbehave.