Watermarking

alosha

Not sure if this has been talked about or not, but how exactly does one watermark their photos? Do I just put text across them, or is it a special program or something? I fear people stealing my photos for their own gain, but do I really NEED to watermark before they are stolen, or wait? Do watermarks affect purchasing? More/less likely to purchase if example photos are watermarked?

Reen.Blom

Well, you can watermark them in any graphical program.

There is a way to digitally licence your images (for a fee) but unless it is high quality artwork(hi resolution) I would not bother.

The truth is that any watermark can be removed. It is not easy, but possible. What it goes down to is as soon is your image is on the net, its 'free for all' lol there is always a way around any protection. Screenshot programs and graphics editing programs.

I personally find it highly annoying when shops put watermark/text ACROSS the image. Normally it is done by lower class shops. i want to see the product in full, not be distracted by logoes and stuff.

yet I feel its acceptable to put your logo, web address, etc in the corner of the image, in non-obtrusive colour, so that does not distract, but in case of hot linking could possibly to point to your site.

Just my humble opinion... I just dont like when images shout to me 'dont steal our stuff', when all i wanna do is look at the products.....

shiradotnet

Just my humble opinion... I just dont like when images shout to me 'dont steal our stuff', when all i wanna do is look at the products.....

Well, if stuff had been stolen from your web site as much as it has been stolen from mine, you might feel differently.

Samira_dncr

Yes, I've also had images and text stolen from my websites...and it SUCKS. So when things are watermarked across the image, I completely understand. It doesn't bother me.

nightdancer

This may help you with image theft.

nightdancer2876: Are you busy?
Marie: no, though I need to go in a little bit and get food and things from the store
Marie: welcome back
nightdancer2876: Thank you
Marie: You're welcome
nightdancer2876: You told me once about putting a clear layer over a photo so that when someone right clicked to save, they were actually saving the clear layer?
Marie: yes, make a transparent .gif
Marie: and when designing a page, layer the .gif over the img
nightdancer2876: Okay, thank you
Marie: people will still be able to take a screenshot and save it that way, or go through the source code of the page, but a lot dont know how. They just cant rightclick and save the image directly, or link to it

Hope that helps.

shiradotnet

This may help you with image theft.

nightdancer2876: Are you busy?
Marie: no, though I need to go in a little bit and get food and things from the store
Marie: welcome back
nightdancer2876: Thank you
Marie: You're welcome
nightdancer2876: You told me once about putting a clear layer over a photo so that when someone right clicked to save, they were actually saving the clear layer?
Marie: yes, make a transparent .gif
Marie: and when designing a page, layer the .gif over the img
nightdancer2876: Okay, thank you
Marie: people will still be able to take a screenshot and save it that way, or go through the source code of the page, but a lot dont know how. They just cant rightclick and save the image directly, or link to it

Hope that helps.

I do this for the "art" section of my site, where I showcase people's drawings and paintings. It's labor-intensive to do, which is why I don't do it for every image on my site, but I do think it provides a little protection.

alosha

I'm not so much worried about other people copying the pictures. What I'm worried about is people using my photos as examples of their works...

Not that I'm big enough for that right now, but just wondering about planning ahead...

khanjar

There are thousands of my images on the net, some in places I have forgotten where, but the net being what it is, if anyone wants the image bad enough, they will get it, I have realised that. I have dabbled with watermarking, some of my images are watermarked, but done in a way so that it does not interfere with the subject, done by using drop shadow to indicate the prescence of a makers mark. But most of the time I either forget to watermark or can't find a suitable place to put it without marring the image. So, aside from putting low resolution images on the web, to be viewed on the web, I don't bother now, and just accept, it is a public place where it seems everything is public. I mean, if I don't want my imagery taken, don't put it on the web.

But, at the end of the day, I create images to be seen, my enjoyment was the creation of the image, if others want the image, well, there is really not a lot I can do to stop them, but if I find my imagery being used in a commercial sense by others, I will act.

My current avatar on here, I designed that as a possible makers mark for my crafts, and at one time a company logo, when I had ideas along those lines. The triskel, the original drawings, it being constructed with compass and pencil I have done a rudimentary proof of originality, by putting the original drawings in a large envelope, putting a postage stamp on it, and sending it to myself by recorded delivery, on receipt, not opening it, but putting it away just in case I need to prove the design is mine. In theory, it being in an unopened envelope, which has been through the mail system, will have the mail date stamp on it, thus proving the date of protection.

I spent days scouring the net for a design the same as mine, but came up with nothing, so unless there is a design elsewhere, not on the net, I claim originality, and can provide a date for it's release.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

There are thousands of my images on the net, some in places I have forgotten where, but the net being what it is, if anyone wants the image bad enough, they will get it, I have realised that. I have dabbled with watermarking, some of my images are watermarked, but done in a way so that it does not interfere with the subject, done by using drop shadow to indicate the prescence of a makers mark. But most of the time I either forget to watermark or can't find a suitable place to put it without marring the image. So, aside from putting low resolution images on the web, to be viewed on the web, I don't bother now, and just accept, it is a public place where it seems everything is public. I mean, if I don't want my imagery taken, don't put it on the web.

But, at the end of the day, I create images to be seen, my enjoyment was the creation of the image, if others want the image, well, there is really not a lot I can do to stop them, but if I find my imagery being used in a commercial sense by others, I will act.
Totally agree with that.

I think the transparent gif thing is OK, but it will only work for those that cant screenshot. But anyone who can have USE graphics say for web/other design, those folks wont be stopped by some transparent gif.

I gave up on all that copy protection. Let them steal my images, I can ask them politely not to do it, but i know i will not be able to stop them. Watermarks can be removed from any image. And in at the end of the day, I just dont want my artwork defaced by some copyright banner across it.

But I guess everyone hase their position, and whatever works for you is right.

Alosha, now copying the DESIGNS is a totally different story, how can watermarking stop that? Unless they use your images to sell their stuff, which would struggle, as your work is unique. :D

Best of luck!

shiradotnet

I think the transparent gif thing is OK, but it will only work for those that cant screenshot. But anyone who can have USE graphics say for web/other design, those folks wont be stopped by some transparent gif.

What you say is true.

However....

I view the "no right click" script concept, the watermark concept, and the transparent GIF concept all the same way I view locking my house:

It might not stop someone who is determined to steal from me and has the knowledge to get past my security measures. However, if I eliminate the obvious, easy ways to steal my images (or break into my house), then SOME would-be thieves will just move on to find an easier target that requires less effort.

Alosha, another thing I do is to use a robots.txt file asking search engines to please not index the images on my web site. The reputable search engines such as Google honor these robots.txt files. If my images don't come up in a Google image search, then they're less likely to be stolen because would-be thieves are less likely to discover them.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

I like the robot idea, although the disabled right click is a big no-no for me, as i myself surf the net using the right click, opening the pages in the new tabs, so disabled right click means i cant explore the the site i am visiting... really annoying... lol makes me ruuuuun.... lol

But yeah, other than using terrible low resolution... not much choice...

alosha

What you say is true.

However....

I view the "no right click" script concept, the watermark concept, and the transparent GIF concept all the same way I view locking my house:

It might not stop someone who is determined to steal from me and has the knowledge to get past my security measures. However, if I eliminate the obvious, easy ways to steal my images (or break into my house), then SOME would-be thieves will just move on to find an easier target that requires less effort.

Alosha, another thing I do is to use a robots.txt file asking search engines to please not index the images on my web site. The reputable search engines such as Google honor these robots.txt files. If my images don't come up in a Google image search, then they're less likely to be stolen because would-be thieves are less likely to discover them.

I have NO idea what that means. :lol: