The (hopefully giant, comprehensive) certification thread!

athansor

I've been thinking about certification a lot lately, in part inspired by the Suhaila thread, and I thought it would be great if there was a thread where people could list the different certification programs available with links.

For myself, I've been dancing and teaching a long time (27 years now, eek!), and the reason I've been thinking of certification is because at some places I would like to teach, other instructors (yoga, aerobics, etc.) have certifications so I'm also asked if I have one. Plus, I'm sure the process would motivate me towards more practice and continuing ed is always good! Things I would like in a certification program would be something suited to the Egyptian style and something that wouldn't require too much traveling. I try to stay current and keep improving with workshops and DVD's (I'm currently loving Reyna Renee's Beledi and Modern Oriental), but wonder if a certification would add to my resume and improve my technique.

So far, I know of Veda Sereem: - Become a Certified Belly Dancing Teacher
and Suhaila: Certification
I think at one time Amaya had a certification too, but I'm not sure if she still does.
So, who else is doing certifications, and is there one you would recommend for me? It would be great if this thread could turn into a comprehensive list!

shiradotnet

If your objective is to teach at places that expect yoga and aerobics teachers to be certified, then you should NOT bother with a belly dance certification. Instead, get an ACE or AFAA group fitness certification.

If your motive is simply the general benefit of continuing education, just go to workshops that fit your learning objectives.

Of course, if you think you need help setting a goal, working toward that goal, and measuring your success in reaching it, now THAT'S a valid reason to pursue a belly dance certification.

Consider Sahra Kent's Journey Through Egypt - she has levels 1 through 4. Levels 3 and 4 require that you go to Egypt with her.

I think Hadia (in Canada) has a teaching certification program. I've been interested in hers because of all the extensive training she has in anatomy through her body work studies.

If you're focused on Egyptian style, I wouldn't recommend Suhaila.

Of course, there's also FatChance teacher training, but that's only relevant to people who want to teach FatChance's ATS format, so it's not what you're looking for. I mention it for the sake of completeness.

Taaj has "the Belly Dance Trainer" but I don't know much about it.

Z-Helene has a certification based on peer review. Again, I don't know much about it.

khalida777

I highly recommend Prof. Dr. Hassan Khalil's comprehensive teacher training program in Cairo which I completed this past April.

Because the program is directed towards developing teachers of MED, there is a great deal of historical and cultural information as well as dance and training technique. A typical day involves spending 8-10 hours at the ISOC studio/centre. There is a daily lecture followed by training in the studio which expands upon that teaching. After our lecture on Pharaonic Egypt, for example, we learned a Pharaonic dance involving rhythms, gestures, and movements associated with that style.

We learned a minimum of one choreo per day which is then filmed so that we can take our Cairo lessons home with us on DVD. One day we learned a 9 1/2 minute choreo! Prof. Khalil is a very kind and encouraging teacher and his classes are most enjoyable and informative.

The teacher training program at ISOC in Cairo is limited to nine students per session in order to maximize individual attention and your educational experience. Prof. Khalil is one of the living legends of Oriental Dance and has a lifetime of wisdom and lore to share.

Prof. Khalil also offers this teacher training program in several European countries. For more information, please visit:
Prof. Dr. Hassan Khalil - ISOC - Cairo/Egypt , and click on the link "Training Courses".

Khalida

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Keti Sharif has A-Z personal techniques and teacher training for both levels. I'm doing the personal techniques now and find it intriguing. I'll report on it when I finally finish it

Piper Method -- Rhea's daughter has her certification, to teach her method. It's like Veda's certification.

Ansuya has something or other, but I don't know that it's actually something you WORK towards.

Oreet Schwartz has SharQui fitness training and certification.

Hadia has personal technique and teacher training.

Shira -- I know we've talked about this before, but you'd be surprised how much I'm using Suhaila's technique with my beledi studies. I'm actually of thinking of doing beledi as my L3 project.

On the surface, it seems like Suhaila's method wouldn't apply to the nice relaxed feeling of Egyptian dance, but especially since I've been working with Ranya's dvd, I'm finding more and more of what I've learned from Suhaila applies.

But I do agree with you that if Egyptian is your primary focus, you'd probably get more out of Hadia's and Sahra's, especially at first.

raks amira

wow, I have been dancing and teaching for 37 years. I have made up my mind to get the group fitness certification, to start a belly dance fitness class. I am teaching at a fitness center. And I just take alot of workshops. I think its in what you want to do with your dancing.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

wow, I have been dancing and teaching for 37 years. I have made up my mind to get the group fitness certification, to start a belly dance fitness class. I am teaching at a fitness center. And I just take alot of workshops. I think its in what you want to do with your dancing.

I have learned a LOT from the ACE program! Plus you can always get a part-time job teaching a fitness class :)

athansor

I think I'm going to first do the ACE certification, and work on that over the winter. Then, I'm going to look into Hadia's certification because she has some of my favorite instructional DVDs and she's not too far away. Lots of great info on this thread so far!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I know we've talked about this before, but you'd be surprised how much I'm using Suhaila's technique with my beledi studies. I'm actually of thinking of doing beledi as my L3 project.

On the surface, it seems like Suhaila's method wouldn't apply to the nice relaxed feeling of Egyptian dance, but especially since I've been working with Ranya's dvd, I'm finding more and more of what I've learned from Suhaila applies.

hmmmm..... rethinking this now. what I THOUGHT I understood about Suhaila's method is maybe not what is actually being taught now. Maybe I'm seeing what I want (or hope) to see.

more thoughts after the L2 workshop next month ....

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I think I'm going to first do the ACE certification, and work on that over the winter. Then, I'm going to look into Hadia's certification because she has some of my favorite instructional DVDs and she's not too far away. Lots of great info on this thread so far!

I think Hadia's is going to be my next project. Are you looking at the teacher training or professional development course?