Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello from Tennessee

Hi,
    My name is Nicole, and I have decided to look into working with belly dancing. Basically I can do a very bad shimmy right now...but we all have to start somewhere. Belly dancing is something I have always wanted to do but was told I could not because of my weight, well with anything you have to work up to it. (My mother just didnt wanna pay for the lessons). So now as an adult I am seeking out something I think I will enjoy. Not to mention the music just gets deep down in my soul and makes me wanna shake it

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Nicole, good on you deciding to go ahead and dance.

Yes we all have to start somewhere and a shimmy is as good a place as any.

Have you found a teacher? It is best to be guided by a teacher as she/he will teach you all the basics like posture etc to set you on the road to be a good dancer.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

No I have not, I need to find one in our area. I live in a farily small town and we may be working on a move here soon if the crude with our land lady dosen't get better. But if we do move it will be to a bigger city I need to see how much its going to cost, I've got a rather low budget right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck in your quest for a teacher. Maybe try to get hold of a good DVD that has the basics and if you can even attend a class just once a month or something for a while until you feel you can afford full on classes or until you move, would help you get started with the basics.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mosaic,

I'll most certainly look into that, right now its youtube for the basics and expertvillage

Post Thanks / Like

Both are better than nothing, but seriously not exactly the best way to go. Do a search on the forum for DVDs because there are a couple of threads that do list recommended DVDs.
    ~Mosaic

PS: here is one thread
    http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...mandation.html

You will see Michelle Joyce is recommended and I agree she has a basics DVD and several others, all are good value and not too expensive. But there are a lot of very good teaching DVDs around.

Post Thanks / Like

It was just for a start, I am looking for dvd's thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Moon-lite. I was just in TN last weekend! Kingsport. I live in NC. I'm new to bellydance also, only 2 classes down so far.

You could also try Meetup.com to see if there are any Bellydance get-togethers in or near your area. I have yet to attend one, but I'm gonna do it one of these days!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the sie, Moon-lite. It's never too late to learn to belly dance! I have a recommendation for a beginner-intermediate dvd. It's by Dahlena, one of the pioneers of American belly dance -- and she's got to be in her late 50s, at least!
    Home

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, I think when we go out today I'm going to see if I can't find a good dvd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast