Hello from Tennessee

Moon-lite

Hi,
My name is Nicole, and I have decided to look into working with belly dancing. Basically I can do a very bad shimmy right now...but we all have to start somewhere. Belly dancing is something I have always wanted to do but was told I could not because of my weight, well with anything you have to work up to it. (My mother just didnt wanna pay for the lessons). So now as an adult I am seeking out something I think I will enjoy. Not to mention the music just gets deep down in my soul and makes me wanna shake it :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome Nicole, good on you deciding to go ahead and dance.

Yes we all have to start somewhere and a shimmy is as good a place as any.

Have you found a teacher? It is best to be guided by a teacher as she/he will teach you all the basics like posture etc to set you on the road to be a good dancer.
~Mosaic

Moon-lite

No I have not, I need to find one in our area. I live in a farily small town and we may be working on a move here soon if the crude with our land lady dosen't get better. But if we do move it will be to a bigger city :D I need to see how much its going to cost, I've got a rather low budget right now.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Good luck in your quest for a teacher. Maybe try to get hold of a good DVD that has the basics and if you can even attend a class just once a month or something for a while until you feel you can afford full on classes or until you move, would help you get started with the basics.
~Mosaic

Moon-lite

Thanks Mosaic,

I'll most certainly look into that, right now its youtube for the basics and expertvillage :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Both are better than nothing, but seriously not exactly the best way to go. Do a search on the forum for DVDs because there are a couple of threads that do list recommended DVDs.
~Mosaic

PS: here is one thread
http://www.bellydanceforums.net/instructors-students/9441-dvd-beginners-any-recommandation.html

You will see Michelle Joyce is recommended and I agree she has a basics DVD and several others, all are good value and not too expensive. But there are a lot of very good teaching DVDs around.

Pilar

Hello Moon-lite. I was just in TN last weekend! Kingsport. I live in NC. I'm new to bellydance also, only 2 classes down so far.

You could also try Meetup.com to see if there are any Bellydance get-togethers in or near your area. I have yet to attend one, but I'm gonna do it one of these days!

Kharmine

Welcome to the sie, Moon-lite. It's never too late to learn to belly dance! I have a recommendation for a beginner-intermediate dvd. It's by Dahlena, one of the pioneers of American belly dance -- and she's got to be in her late 50s, at least!
Home