Greetings and Salutations!

PoleDanceABCs

Hey everyone,
I'm currently living in Germany and it has been a year since I moved here. Happily married and proud mommy of two fur-babies. My two Boston Terrors... Oopps I mean, Boston Terriers are a joy except when they fart. :shok:
I have always loved to dance. I remember being a little girl and trying to shake my hips like the girl in the "Lambada" music video. :dance: I have done everything from ballroom dance to historical balls to shaking my butt at the local club. My recent dance addictions are pole dance and tribal fusion bellydance. I am all self-taught when it comes to those two dances; I just watch a bunch of on-line vids and instructional DVD's.
I have a YouTube account with the same screen-name. All the vids there are pretty much of me pole dancing. I like to add a few bellydance moves in between pole tricks but you won't see them in the vids. If anyone else is interested in pole dancing StudioVeena.com is another great forum with very supportive dancers. (I hope you guys don't mind me adding that in.)
Looking forward to chatting with everyone. :D

Kharis

Hey everyone,
I'm currently living in Germany and it has been a year since I moved here. Happily married and proud mommy of two fur-babies. My two Boston Terrors... Oopps I mean, Boston Terriers are a joy except when they fart. :shok:
I have always loved to dance. I remember being a little girl and trying to shake my hips like the girl in the "Lambada" music video. :dance: I have done everything from ballroom dance to historical balls to shaking my butt at the local club. My recent dance addictions are pole dance and tribal fusion bellydance. I am all self-taught when it comes to those two dances; I just watch a bunch of on-line vids and instructional DVD's.
I have a YouTube account with the same screen-name. All the vids there are pretty much of me pole dancing. I like to add a few bellydance moves in between pole tricks but you won't see them in the vids. If anyone else is interested in pole dancing StudioVeena.com is another great forum with very supportive dancers. (I hope you guys don't mind me adding that in.)
Looking forward to chatting with everyone. :D

:whistle:

PoleDanceABCs

LOL, what do the whistles mean?

Do the fur-babies ( er what?) pole dance?:dance: Sorry cannot resist it?
Bwahahaha! Not really but they always seem to want to play with me when I'm dancing. I'll be doing my thing and they'll pop their heads in, "Hey, what's mommie doing?" I have a few vids where they just have to walk in my path or play tug-of-war right next to the pole. :rolleyes:

PoleDanceABCs

Whose on-line vids and instructional DVD's have you been using?
I have:
- Rachel Brice: Arms and Posture
- Tribal Fusion Fundamentals (with 4 lovely dancers)
- Tribal Fusion Bellydance with Sharon Kihara: Technique & Conditioning
- Tribal Fusions: Exotic Art of Tribal Bellydance
- ExpertVillage vids
- YouTube clips

I got a bunch of DVD's off NetFlix and most of them so far have been in the Tribal Fusion realm. I am still waiting for a few others that are for Egyptian style. Waiting... waiting...

lizaj

I have:
- Rachel Brice: Arms and Posture
- Tribal Fusion Fundamentals (with 4 lovely dancers)
- Tribal Fusion Bellydance with Sharon Kihara: Technique & Conditioning
- Tribal Fusions: Exotic Art of Tribal Bellydance
- ExpertVillage vids
- YouTube clips

I got a bunch of DVD's off NetFlix and most of them so far have been in the Tribal Fusion realm. I am still waiting for a few others that are for Egyptian style. Waiting... waiting...

have you gone straight to Tribal Fusion?
I really think a good basic Egyptian or Turkish instructional DVD will be a useful basis to retain an element of belly dance . Better still a class...none nearby?
Then have a look at FCBD or Gypsy Caravan.
If you look at some of the discussion you'll see that Tribal dancing is not always considered part of the belly dance family.
And I have to say pole dancing is not always a popular combination for belly dancers.
I was actually employed by a pole dancing studio to give belly dance lessons to the students but I made it clear I didn't like the idea of any kind of fusion and that I was only there to help them get a more fluid approach to their dance. I was also impressed by the teacher who considers the activity as an athletic one with no connotaions.
I hope this goes someway to explain the:whistle:;)
Welcome to this belly dance forum. I have found it an invaluable support to learning more about the dance and discussing issues.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum. I would suggest you try to attend some bellydance classes. You may find that you become so addicted you give the pole dancing away:D

~Mosaic

PoleDanceABCs

Thanks for the input. :)

I know that Tribal isn't considered bellydance but a fusion of bellydance and other modern dances. It just seems like the only place I can get info and help with it is here. I haven't found a strictly Tribal forum out there but if there is one then that might be a better choice or fit for me. :(

I would say yes I am totally into the Tribal vibe and feeling. I feel more of a connection to that branch than let's say Turkish or Caberet style. I think it goes back to some of the things that other people posted here... about being authentic or not being from of/from that culture. Plus Tribal is something I can see myself practicing and doing. I prefer the electronic music and the costuming and the message I get/feel when I watch or dance Tribal.

I would love to take a bellydance class or for those darn NetFlix vids to get to me. I know that getting in some basics of bellydance would greatly help me. I moved to Germany a year ago so even if there was a class near me I wouldn't know how to find it or if I'd be lucky enough to get a teacher that spoke some English. Even broken English is fine because it is the major points or concepts I want to know and understand. I'm in the Mannheim area so any thoughts on schools or teachers?

So I say that I mix my pole dance with some bellydance "moves" not bellydance itself. Sorry if that offends some of you guys but please don't mix pole dance with strippers or sex clubs. If that is something someone wants to do that is their thing but it doesn't meant all pole dancers do that. Uhhh.... that is as bad as someone saying that if you bellydance you work at a brothel or like having money shoved down your belt while you shimmy. Pole dance is here to stay baby... it is all about empowerment and it is the best workout ever... besides bellydance. :D

I think that is what I like about both dance forms... I feel pretty and powerful and yeah, sexy too. Both dances require a lot of practice and mental sharpness. It is not like a simple waltz or foxtrot. I know they can be hard too but people pick that up a bit easier than inverting on the pole or being able to really control the abs and hips and glutes.

Be well!

Kharis

So I say that I mix my pole dance with some bellydance "moves" not bellydance itself. Sorry if that offends some of you guys but please don't mix pole dance with strippers or sex clubs. If that is something someone wants to do that is their thing but it doesn't meant all pole dancers do that. Uhhh.... that is as bad as someone saying that if you bellydance you work at a brothel or like having money shoved down your belt while you shimmy. Pole dance is here to stay baby... it is all about empowerment and it is the best workout ever... besides bellydance. :DBe well!

I think pole dancing is incredibly skilled. Had I a body like a Goddess and was 22 years old, I would really consider doing it for a living. But hey ho. But I haven't actually seen it performed for a family event or wedding, in a restaurant or corporate event whilst folks are tucking into their ham and lettuce, or as a means of family entertainment where audience participation can be enjoyed by all and sundry. I've only ever seen it in a sex joint...(on TV) or done as a means of exercise in a class situation. So, it cannot quite be compared to bellydance. I'm sure it can be done in a circus kind of non sexual way, but not so sure if it'll take off as a dance form in quite the same way as bellydance or the foxtrot.

lizaj

I have been hearing this word "empowerment" for many years.
Please you youngsters , let me know what it means to a modern woman.
You see I never felt weak or unequal to any man. Physically perhaps yes but as a resident of this planet no and certainly not intellectually;)

I see a world that please me in some ways..female fire personnel (they gotta be strong yes?), women running companies, politicians, respected academics. Oh yes that sparkly ceiling is still there but along with it appears to have been an alarming rise of young beautiful woman happy to let themsleves be exploited for the titillation of men and exposed to dancer and ridicule.
In my generation girls striving for equality wanted a great career and/or a secure home life for their children..now they want to flash their fannies on TV and be glamour models with huge inflatable gazongas..or marry a footballer..Gee we have progressed!

Kharis

I have been hearing this word "empowerment" for many years.
Please you youngsters , let me know what it means to a modern woman.
You see I never felt weak or unequal to any man. Physically perhaps yes but as a resident of this planet no and certainly not intellectually;)

I see a world that please me in some ways..female fire personnel (they gotta be strong yes?), women running companies, politicians, respected academics. Oh yes that sparkly ceiling is still there but along with it appears to have been an alarming rise of young beautiful woman happy to let themsleves be exploited for the titillation of men and exposed to dancer and ridicule.
In my generation girls striving for equality wanted a great career and/or a secure home life for their children..now they want to flash their fannies on TV and be glamour models with huge inflatable gazongas..or marry a footballer..Gee we have progressed!

Bellydance did empower me. It made me feel beautiful and accomplished at a time when I felt neither.

lizaj

Bellydance did empower me. It made me feel beautiful and accomplished at a time when I felt neither.

yes it did the same for me . Now I know you are a good deal younger than me but my dear Kharis...I reckon you are likely to think more or less on the same lines as myself....s(retires sharply and noting to keep head down at JoY);)

Kharis

But yes, for some odd reason young women seem to think that flashing their scantily clad pudenda is sexy and makes them ahead of the game...just what games (on the game) is beyond me. Personally, I feel that less is definitely more when it comes to being sexy. The japanese had it right, when they found the back of the neck or inside of the wrist sexy when exposed in a genteel and very feminine way. Nothing is more sexy than the subtle lingering eye contact two human beings who fancy each other.

lizaj

Thanks for the input. :)

I know that Tribal isn't considered bellydance but a fusion of bellydance and other modern dances. It just seems like the only place I can get info and help with it is here. I haven't found a strictly Tribal forum out there but if there is one then that might be a better choice or fit for me. :(

I would say yes I am totally into the Tribal vibe and feeling. I feel more of a connection to that branch than let's say Turkish or Caberet style. I think it goes back to some of the things that other people posted here... about being authentic or not being from of/from that culture. Plus Tribal is something I can see myself practicing and doing. I prefer the electronic music and the costuming and the message I get/feel when I watch or dance Tribal.

I would love to take a bellydance class or for those darn NetFlix vids to get to me. I know that getting in some basics of bellydance would greatly help me. I moved to Germany a year ago so even if there was a class near me I wouldn't know how to find it or if I'd be lucky enough to get a teacher that spoke some English. Even broken English is fine because it is the major points or concepts I want to know and understand. I'm in the Mannheim area so any thoughts on schools or teachers?

So I say that I mix my pole dance with some bellydance "moves" not bellydance itself. Sorry if that offends some of you guys but please don't mix pole dance with strippers or sex clubs. If that is something someone wants to do that is their thing but it doesn't meant all pole dancers do that. Uhhh.... that is as bad as someone saying that if you bellydance you work at a brothel or like having money shoved down your belt while you shimmy. Pole dance is here to stay baby... it is all about empowerment and it is the best workout ever... besides bellydance. :D

I think that is what I like about both dance forms... I feel pretty and powerful and yeah, sexy too. Both dances require a lot of practice and mental sharpness. It is not like a simple waltz or foxtrot. I know they can be hard too but people pick that up a bit easier than inverting on the pole or being able to really control the abs and hips and glutes.

Be well!

I know there's a great belly dance scene in Germany both raks sharki and tribal so I'm sure you'll find a class and probably manage with physical instruction until your grasp of German improves. I've taken workshops with teachers with very little English and they manage to get their point across so it's wortha try. Hey, girl, can't you see all effort going into converting you!
I loved watching the girls doing their pole work and although I couldn't do it, the oldest student at that studio was 74!!!
But when it comes to performing you skill, you'll find belly dancing far more versatile. We are still considered "racey"!
There are German members here on OD and also on BELLYDANCE CENTRAL - Everything Belly Dance! Welcome to BHUZ - Biggest Online Belly Dance Community » BELLYDANCE CENTRAL - Biggest Online Belly Dance Community - Welcome to BHUZ! who'll point you o the right directions.
Also go and see some performances, go to festivals and soak up what goes on. You are not so far from the UK and there are great events here and we speak your language(well most of the time you'll be able to understand us:D)

PoleDanceABCs

I haven't actually seen it performed for a family event or wedding, in a restaurant or corporate event whilst folks are tucking into their ham and lettuce, or as a means of family entertainment where audience participation can be enjoyed by all and sundry.
There are actually lots of videos where parents pole dance with their kids, or where families watch eachother pole dance. People pole dance at concerts, fitness events, parties but yeah, you don't really see it at business events or your grannie's birthday (unless she's open to it). I went to a opening gala for a pole dancing school and there were families there and we all watched in awe as Miss Pole Dance Germany danced.

I've only ever seen it in a sex joint...(on TV) or done as a means of exercise in a class situation.
That is why pole dancers are trying very hard to change the way pole dance is looked upon. Pole dancing competitions are world wide and no one ever gets naked. The lack of clothing is actually very important because being able to grab the pole and having good grip is key when doing advanced moves. The booty shorts and the crop tops are actually functional. So if a lack of clothing denotes that it is sexual then what about bikinis and topless beaches? What about how belly dance was first looked upon when Europeans first saw it? In terms of how society looked upon the two dances at first they are similiar. And they are similar because you will find women and men of all ages and backgrounds pole dancing. It's not just for your next-door Barbie. :D

I'm sure it can be done in a circus kind of non sexual way
Circus pole dancing is usually in the form of Chinese Pole Dance where you can use the soles of your feet. It is also usually performed on a much thicker pole. There is also Mallakhamb where a very wide wooden pole is used for training and conditioning the body for wrestling or gymnastics in India. They are both very cool. :)

PoleDanceABCs

I have been hearing this word "empowerment" for many years. Please you youngsters , let me know what it means to a modern woman. You see I never felt weak or unequal to any man. Physically perhaps yes but as a resident of this planet no and certainly not intellectually;)
I have to say that I am lucky that I was born to a family and a culture where I was never put down either. I was never made to feel less of a person because I was born female. Most of us here probably grew up in a similar situation. It's just that in this day and age we still have many equality issues when it comes to gender. Men still make more than woman even if they hold the same position... mostly women are being sold into sex slavery or being stoned or being physically altered (just look at FGM in Africa)... in some cultures if the baby is female the mother will have it aborted because males are more revered... So although I'm lucky I can't say the same for many other people. And there are probably lots and lots of super powerful women out there but we have to consider that there are many more empoverished masses. I feel empowered when I do something that perhaps isn't always accepted by everyone but I can still do it and not be scared. I can do what I want (within a moral and ethical frame of course) and so I feel empowered. I feel powerful because I know I can do it but someone somewhere else can't. I'm not trying to say I feel better than them but I know I am lucky.

PoleDanceABCs

:lol:
I know there's a great belly dance scene in Germany both raks sharki and tribal so I'm sure you'll find a class and probably manage with physical instruction until your grasp of German improves.
Taking German but I'm learning so slow. It doesn't help that all I hear and read and speak is English! I really wish I lived off base sometimes.

Hey, girl, can't you see all effort going into converting you!
I know right! I'm totally feeling the bellydance love. *big hugs*
I'm sorry you guys but I'm not going to give up pole dance though! I have the best time doing it and my body is getting tight. Sorry if it seems like I'm fighting you guys but I'm not. I just want to clarify the difference between pole dancing in sex clubs and at home... and that the history of something doesn't mean that's all it is now.

But when it comes to performing you skill, you'll find belly dancing far more versatile. We are still considered "racey"!
Yeah it is... when I tell people I'm interested in bellydance I get "those" looks. It is even funnier when I tell them I pole dance. :lol:

There are German members here on OD and also on BELLYDANCE CENTRAL.
Oh super, thanks!

Also go and see some performances, go to festivals and soak up what goes on. You are not so far from the UK and there are great events here and we speak your language(well most of the time you'll be able to understand us:D)
I would love to go see a performance. The language comes in the way because I seem to keep on missing events. I always find out about then after their done and gone or a few hours before. *sigh*

Last edited:

shiradotnet

I would love to go see a performance. The language comes in the way because I seem to keep on missing events. I always find out about then after their done and gone or a few hours before. *sigh*

Missing events can happen even when you live in a place where everyone speaks your language. That's actually one benefit of finding a teacher and attending regular classes - a GOOD teacher (and I admit, not all are good) will tell you about events that provide opportunities to see performances and take workshops from visiting instructors.