Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tribal/Tribal Fusion Forum

Can we please have such a section? For those of us who would want to discuss tribal affairs....

Please?

Post Thanks / Like

I will second that.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is a separate forum area needed to discuss tribal? There isn't a separate section for discussing Egyptian style, Lebanese style, Turkish style, Hilal style, or any other style. If those other dance styles don't need separate sections, why does tribal?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I don't really see a need for it. If you want to discuss something specifically tribal, just go ahead and put it in the title!

I love talkin' tribal, it being my life's work to date. So go ahead and start some chattin'!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Why is a separate forum area needed to discuss tribal? There isn't a separate section for discussing Egyptian style, Lebanese style, Turkish style, Hilal style, or any other style. If those other dance styles don't need separate sections, why does tribal?
    I guess because the whole forum is perceived as 'egyptian lebanese turkish cabaret etc' and oh yeah, im scared to look into any tribal discussion, because of non tribal folks saying its not bellydance... or that fusion is the greatest sin....

as for the rest...go ahead....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    I guess because the whole forum is perceived as 'egyptian lebanese turkish cabaret etc' and oh yeah, im scared to look into any tribal discussion, because of non tribal folks saying its not bellydance... or that fusion is the greatest sin...
    Hmmm, if those who like tribal were to start more tribal threads, then this forum wouldn't be perceived as "everything but tribal" any more. You have the power to make tribal more visible by starting more threads about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well as I mentioned in the quoted response, i dont feel comfortable even participating in existing discussions, as most of them end up concluding that anything but egyptian lebasese and turkish is not bellydance. I was deeply moved by alosha's thread about tribal, as she expressed the sentiments close to me about tribal and fusion feeling out of place for some of us here.

To my mind a subforum in styles would be a 'safer' place, but I guess to some folks 'separating' it and not giving an equal 'rights' to other styles is degrading or smth?

But well, let us stay lurkers....

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those who say that those of us interested in tribal should just start more threads about it - those of us who know about tribal or are interested in learning would be more than happy to participate. Starting a subforum really wouldn't give us a "safe" space, anyway. It wouldn't be invisible to the other posters, so there's no reason why they wouldn't just come "over there" and say the same things they say now. What would stop them? We all need to develop tougher skins, really. Some folks will never be persuaded to see tribal as a style of bellydance and I'm not sure it's that important that they be persuaded, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    To my mind a subforum in styles would be a 'safer' place, but I guess to some folks 'separating' it and not giving an equal 'rights' to other styles is degrading or smth?

But well, let us stay lurkers....
    No need to stay a lurker.

I think one reason mentions of tribal often disintegrate into "That's not belly dance," is that SOME dancers who are quite capable of doing skilled tribal-style belly dance have moved beyond belly dance and frequently perform something entirely different.

Performers of this sort that come to mind are Rachel Brice (I enjoy watching her belly dance, but I have also seen her do a hip hop popping-and-locking bit that was pure hip hop, not a bit a belly dance at all), Ultra Gypsy (who now uses the term "dance theater" instead of "belly dance" to describe what they do), etc.

Part of the problem, I think, is that SOME people who admire these artists slap the label "belly dance" on everything these artists do, whether the artists themselves are aiming to perform belly dance or something else. I think the discourse between tribal dancers and those who prefer more traditional styles would be a lot more civil if everyone could agree with statements such as, "SOME of what Unmata does is belly dance, but SOME of it is not."

Why not acknowledge and embrace the fact that some of the dancers we admire are multi-talented artists with the versatility to learn and perform more than one dance form? Why try to attach a belly dance label to an Ultra Gypsy interpretive piece when UG themselves don't see that piece as "belly dance"?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I think this is one side of the problem, I agree if Rachel happens to do hiphop or tango or whatever it does not make it bellydance, the other one being that 'what looks like bellydance' but does not have traditional costuming nor strictly originated in ME can ever be considered as bellydance.... oh and the 'value' of fusing is also questioned...lol

Hey Makeda, this is my very illusion that a separate forum would prevent such 'debates' as it being a 'tribal' zone, it would be off topic... And honestly I respect the right of others not to accept tribal or tribal fusion as bellydance, I just wish to be granted the same right to believe otherwise without any tribal related discussion ending up we all know where....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast