Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Those Deep Standing Backbends

I love standing backbends. Rachel Brice's popularity really brought them into fashion in the Tribal community, though there are plenty of examples of dancers from the Middle East doing them as well. (Nadia Gamal, for example.)

I encourage dancers of ALL belly dance styles to join in. <wink>

Over the years, I've had emails from Shira.net users who have asked for tips on how to do them without injuring their backs, which is why I have an article on my web site with instructions and recommended exercises to build the appropriate muscles. And I do know of some actual dancers who have injured themselves by doing these backbends.

So I thought it might be good to explore some questions surrounding them. Here goes:

1. Did your teacher actually include exercises in class designed to build the necessary strength and flexibility to do them and tell you that was the purpose of those exercises, or did she just tell you to do a backbend without any such guidance?

2. Do you feel confident that when you do a backbend, you're doing it safely, or do you wonder if you're putting yourself at risk? Or maybe you just haven't thought about it, one way or the other?

3. (This question is for belly dance teachers.) Do you use deep backbends in your classes and choreographies? What do you do to ensure that your students won't experience injury when trying to do them?

4. For those who feel confident that you're doing backbends safely, what tips would you offer to other people who want to learn?

5. Have you ever experienced pain after trying a backbend? Or have you injured yourself trying to do one? Do you know anyone who has?

Post Thanks / Like

My current teacher has told me not to do them until I build up some strength and flexibility. I'm excited to be able to do one someday, but right now it's barely a 'layback'.

Great thread Shira!

Post Thanks / Like

I was told to rely on the leg muscules and take off the pressure from the back until the muscules are gradually developed and stretched. Oh and was recomended yoga.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    I was told to rely on the leg muscules and take off the pressure from the back until the muscules are gradually developed and stretched. Oh and was recomended yoga.
    I was recommended yoga too...the bridge pose to be precise.

Post Thanks / Like

I bend pretty deeply. I use the gluteal for stability, and the abdominals for control. Almost nothing comes from the back itself, other than the flexibility, which a yoga ball helps with immensely. I just hang out, rolling back and forth. Though, right about the time I start rolling over my own hair, it's time to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for starting this topic, I started one a while ago but there wasn't much feedback.

I used to teach backbends in my classes, but not the Rachel ones, snce I can not do them myself. I only thought the ones Egyptian style dancers do and those aren't that deep.

When I do that type of backbend it doesn't cause me trouble, unless I do it too much, but I have tried to learn the Rachel Brice type and that caused me a neck injury that lasted for 6 weeks. Don't think I'll try that again...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    I used to teach backbends in my classes, but not the Rachel ones, snce I can not do them myself. I only thought the ones Egyptian style dancers do and those aren't that deep.
    Really? What about this one, about a minute and a half into the clip?

YouTube - Egyptian Belly Dance - Ni'mat Mukhtar ??? ???? ???? ?????

Post Thanks / Like

LOL . I meant the one that they sometimes use while doping hipdrops. It's a slight backbend, but not a dramatic one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amulya View Post
    LOL . I meant the one that they sometimes use while doping hipdrops. It's a slight backbend, but not a dramatic one.
    I know which ones you mean...I've seen it a lot in Saidi cane dance, where they spin the cane at their side, bend back slightly and do hip drops with a little kick.

Post Thanks / Like

shira, thanks for the "how to..."info on your page! as backbends, belly rolls and walking shimmies are moves i love but i am far from realizing them...
    i was also told to try backbends only after beeing warmed up properly, to use the abs (not the back)... but until now i didn't know any special exercises

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast